• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

Ok, I hope I'm not pushing, is it worth it comparing to the 18sound horn?

I guess it depends on how you look at it. The bigger horn allows for a lower crossover. To me this is good since the 4592ND can go quite low. With the Iwata it's also possible to move around in the room without loosing too much of the sound quality. I guess this is caused by different directivity. The 18Sound horn would probably work better where it belongs, on stage. Is the Iwata worth several times the price of the XR2064? Is my Oris horns worth more than the Iwata? In my experience the relationship between performance and price isn't linear. So far I'm very happy with my new horns, just a bit sad because of the damaged part.

Frode

JMLC-200T + BMS 4590 (original crossover).

Attachments

• jmlc200.jpg
    jmlc200.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 688
Good news. If anyone's interested in getting in on the group buy from Autotech, please send me a PM message here at this site. I've got some members from Diyaudio and another site pretty much ready to go but there's still room in the order for more. The order will be put in fairly soon, so let me know what you want. Even if you're not 100% sure when you'll want them or need them, please let me know so we can work something out.

I've talked to Autotech, and they're going to ship the pallet to Chicago. I'll go pick it up, then ship out the individual waveguides to whoever ordered them.

There's also going to be room on the pallet for the empty "mummy" speaker cabinets. AND you can also order these in their completed form with crossovers, drivers, etc.

I've got prices typed up and figured out if you need them. I'm also in the process of putting all the information up on a website but figured I should mention it here first so the guys from Diyaudio have a chance to get their stuff ordered before anyone else.

Please send me a PM with what you might want.

I've got prices typed up and figured out if you need them. I'm also in the process of putting all the information up on a website

Please post these sooner than later. The lack of clear information on pricing and whatnot has been a major limit on my interest in these and I'm sure there are others who feel similarly. I'm very price-sensitive and a $50 variance based upon shipping makes or breaks a deal for me. The smooth asymmetrical horns are very interesting to me but I need a 'final final' kind of idea of cost.

Sorry, I thought most people already knew the prices as they were linked in the last page. I'm working to get them listed on a website shortly. It should be up in a few days, but the pricing is listed on jzagaja's page.

I've got to be honest though, if a $50 variance makes or breaks the deal on shipping for the large Iwatas you want, you might want to rethink it. I say that because it's going to be VERY hard for me to give exact shipping prices on this first round. I'm not going to charge anything for my time (including driving to Chicago), or make anything from shipping of course. And I'll be boxing them up for free too. The Iwata-300's are going to be hard to guess for shipping because of their size. I've never seen one in person yet. My zipcode is 45224, they list the size of each waveguide. They aren't going to be too heavy. You might be able to get a close idea.

Now the smaller units won't be much of a problem. Shipping will be minimal.

Once we get the first shipment in, everything will be figured out. You just have to trust that I'm not out to make money on shipping, you'll easily be able to check that yourself. I'm just trying to help out here.

I thought I changed my signature to say "AKA-- Erich H" so that people would know I'm the same guy from AVS. Not sure why it didn't show up.

What I should do is start a new thread because this one is quite large and the "group buy" thing is too spread out.

Huh, well it looks like when you change your signature on this site, it only changes new posts that you make, not the ones you already made. Seems odd.

Regardless, I'm just trying to make the group buy happen. That's pretty much it right now. If it works out okay, I don't mind doing it more often.

But until we get the pieces in our hands with the first order, the larger waveguides are going to be hard to estimate when it comes to shipping.

Maybe you could order and if shipping turns out too much, someone else will buy them.

I wouldn't have a problem paying a little for your time, so long as you were upfront about it, I don't think anyone here would begrudge you a small profit- that way maybe you get to keep a pair or two if it runs for a while and you have to ship a kajillion horns everywhere. I'm just very anal about costing. What's price on Iwata 300s, pre-shipping?

And, for delivery, we may be able to leverage the network of DIYaudio people. I certainly wouldn't mind hauling a pair of whatever with me when I'm driving hither and thither. Better that than paying OOPS and you get to meet partner audiophiles that way.

I wouldn't have a problem paying a little for your time, so long as you were upfront about it, I don't think anyone here would begrudge you a small profit- that way maybe you get to keep a pair or two if it runs for a while and you have to ship a kajillion horns everywhere.

Not necessary. If anything, I believe it's going to be quite the opposite.

Autotech is a great company. Over on the AVS forum I've been dealing with them to get a different style waveguide made up. They helped everyone out quite a bit and it's been appreciated. During the back and forth e-mails I told them I could help with the group buy. And so that's what I'm trying to do. But there are unknown costs in the whole thing that I've decided to eat just in case. They said shipping for a pallet is $1000, they'll be helping with that on the total price of a full pallet. If the pallet doesn't get filled, I've decided to just order a bunch more smaller waveguides to fill the order and I'm sure people on these sites will eventually buy them for what I paid. That way this project gets done quickly so people aren't waiting any longer.

There's also customs fees, and then another member said he looked into it last year and there's also a brokerage fee on top of all of it that could be an extra $800. I have a truck that can hold a few pallets. I'll be driving up to Chicago from Cincinnati to pick all these up. I don't mind doing that. Afterwards, I'll box them and ship them out. I don't mind doing that either.

As you can see, I'm not doing this in hopes of keeping a pair or two. It's just not going to happen that way at all. Right now I'm trying to help with a group buy like promised. jzagaja posted the price list in his signature ( http://autotech.wikidot.com/ ), I'll retype it here later. If there's any extra shipping needed from Poland, it will be a small amount per item once a skid is filled. I'm talking under $10 if it's any at all. There's simply no way of knowing if it's $4 more, $6, or no extra until AFTER the skid is received.

And because we don't know, but we still want to get these here, if the brokerage fees are bad, then it is what it is, I'll pay that myself and we learn. See, I might order a pair of empty cabinets and I'm willing to pay a little extra to get them.......which can go towards unexpected brokerage fees.

When all is said and done, the price to get the items to the US is going to be VERY close to what they listed because I'm doing the leg work for free. As of now, I can't tell you 'exactly' what shipping will be from Cincinnati (45224) to you because I don't know how big the boxes will need to be or how much they weigh. But as stated, you'll be able to check pricing just by looking at the UPS or FedEx websites. Maybe you can get a general idea.

In the end, I think this will work out and we'll do it again as time permits. I'm working on a website to get these listed along with some other projects. I can't guarantee my leg work will be free next time, but this round.......I've promised to get it done.

Last edited:
UPS

Shipping within the US for any of the larger horns such as Iwata or JMLC350 is hard to calculate as it is based on volume not weight because of the over size. Average UPS for a 24x24x24 inch box is only $60. A 30x30x30 inch box is $170. To fit better on the pallet and to have any chance of getting two horns in one box, It would save a lot of space to have the driver mounts left off to be epoxied on by the user at the final destination.