Waveguides and horns - Page 74 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2011, 04:21 PM   #731
diyAudio Member

I would not give up on the JBL drivers, especially if price is an issue.
The 2446 is a step up from the 2445 (not necessarily a large step). It has a re-designed phase plug and diaphragm and can reach higher in freq.

The JBL 2450 is even better but it is quite expensive, but so are the TAD drivers. You would be shocked by the cost of replacement TAD diaphragms.

If you go for a used JBL 2446 (a 2 inch throat), make sure the diaphragms are OEM for that particular model, or else you will not get all the benefits. There are many of these on eBay and Craigslist.

There is also the isue of how important is a two-way configuration. Going three-way to get that top octave or so, may not be a bad alternative and it opens up many other alternatives.
Old 29th July 2011, 04:22 PM   #732
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20 View Post
I have thought about that! There was a sweet looking but very small waveguide in the group buy pictures. I have also thought about a waveguide loaded ribbon recently. See discussions in the geddes waveguide thread about some waveguide loaded ribbons that exist now at madisound.

Of course my horn choices are only for high end home theater. All my critical music listening still comes from my ribbon choices or quality headphones.
I just disassembled the ribbon that I waveguide loaded last year, I'll post some pics of why I think it worked. Pics of the guts should help explain it.
Old 29th July 2011, 04:28 PM   #733
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithTarragon View Post
I would not give up on the JBL drivers, especially if price is an issue.
The 2446 is a step up from the 2445 (not necessarily a large step). It has a re-designed phase plug and diaphragm and can reach higher in freq.

The JBL 2450 is even better but it is quite expensive, but so are the TAD drivers. You would be shocked by the cost of replacement TAD diaphragms.

If you go for a used JBL 2446 (a 2 inch throat), make sure the diaphragms are OEM for that particular model, or else you will not get all the benefits. There are many of these on eBay and Craigslist.

There is also the isue of how important is a two-way configuration. Going three-way to get that top octave or so, may not be a bad alternative and it opens up many other alternatives.
Yeah, Replacement cost is $500 or more, I have checked out the sources. I have been reading about the JBL diaphragm upgrades that exist online too. Never had much luck on Craigslist but I search ebay weekly for deals.

Once Im done with the 2-way larger horn design I will consider a 3-way and figure away to blend a very small horn/CD into the design (Not easily done without looking ugly). Remember though the BMS 4590 is a coax design so it has the Full 400Hz to 20KHz performance package in it. Im just not sure yet it matches the TAD but Im still figuring things out.
Old 25th August 2011, 04:08 PM   #734
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
Silver Mummy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP5298 copy.jpg (83.4 KB, 648 views)
Old 25th August 2011, 04:51 PM   #735
diyAudio Member

God, I wish mine were that colour. Looks incredible!
Old 25th August 2011, 04:54 PM   #736
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
Lacquer for Mercedes-Benz. This pair goes to Munich.
Old 25th August 2011, 05:55 PM   #737
phusis is offline phusis  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzagaja View Post
Silver Mummy.
Yummy looking Mummies They look great! Mine are white - a bit more conservative, if you will...
Old 25th August 2011, 08:07 PM   #738
rajacat is offline rajacat  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phusis View Post
Yummy looking Mummies They look great! Mine are white - a bit more conservative, if you will...
How about a review?
Old 26th August 2011, 12:00 AM   #739
phusis is offline phusis  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajacat View Post
How about a review?
rajacat,

I posted a sort-of review of my Mummies on this thread some pages ago, reflecting my early and immediate reactions. I've since upgraded my D/A-converter and made other subtle changes to the power cabling as well as adding a more resolutely configured star-grounding, and coupled with the time to "mature" impressions I believe a follow-up review could be mandated Perhaps my recent Audiogon impressions will enlighten a bit:

AudiogoN Forums: Auto-Tech speakers

A distinction must be made between my pair of Mummies and the ones illustrated above(in Mercedes silver), apart from the coloring; mine exhibit the Polish STX units, both the compression driver and bass unit, whereas the silver Mummies above feature a BMS compression driver(4524) and a Beyma(12BR70) bass unit. Sensitivity ratings are 98dB and ~94dB respectively, with the latter(BMS/Beyma) said to sport sweeter highs and slightly more extended lows(the mids not yet outlined). I'm vaguely considering a change to the BMS/Beyma Mummies, but this is still in the stages of thinking-it-through in that I have no easy way (other than going to Poland...) to audition them before purchase.

As is I'm very appreciative of my Mummy's outright honesty and sheer level of information. Theirs are not the gaudy or flamboyant sonic imprinting, but rather an exceedingly clean, tight, "fast"/energetic, and of-a-piece sound. Being that they also thrive on complex music and exhibit a marked sense of ease there's very often the sensation of simplicity to the presentation; it may at first lead one to believe something's missing, but on closer scrutiny there's quickly the reverse effect of feeling everything clearly laid bare, and emanating from a very stable and calm background. Unfiltered, you may say, yet musically very engaging.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by phusis; 26th August 2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 26th August 2011, 12:13 AM   #740
diyAudio Member

Looks great Jacek, really like the finish.

Hide this!Advertise here!