Waveguides and horns - Page 68 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2011, 11:24 PM   #671
diyAudio Member

Default IWATA 300s

I used an AP20 to create a 24dB per octave crossover at 550Hz and then Dirac Live to flatten out the room response. The top PIC shows the 'averaged in room response' before and after Dirac Live was applied. The bottom PIC shows the measured impulse before and after Dirac Live was applied. Altho a super tweeter could be easily justified, the end result is very listenable. I really, really like they way the IWATAs sound. There is no honk or harshness whatsoever. Even tho I am applying aggressive EQ in to upper most bands the IWATA/ JBL combo is not at all tiring on the ears.

The IWATA 300s are keepers! I wholeheartedly recommend them. My next purchase will be a pair of Truextent Berylium diaphragms and see if I can smooth out the jaggies above 8kHz.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 3rd July 2011, 11:38 PM   #672
Scaper is offline Scaper  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
Here is a shot from the front.

Those look GREAT!!!!

So I guess everything arrived in good shape on the pallet?

I have a pair of those JBL mounting brackets and the compression drivers as well. Maybe someone could use them like you did.

I love the way those look, good job!
Old 3rd July 2011, 11:48 PM   #673
diyAudio Member

Thanks to you Erich!

I really appreciate your hard work organizing and servicing a group buy. I am really happy with the results from the IWATAs for what was an afternoon of pulling together goodies from my stash. I am looking forward to experimenting with the SEOS-15s that you are organizing for now.

If anyone is interested that is a JBL 2509A bracket that Erich is talking about. It works especially well in this application.
Old 4th July 2011, 02:28 PM   #674
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaper View Post
Those look GREAT!!!!

So I guess everything arrived in good shape on the pallet?

I have a pair of those JBL mounting brackets and the compression drivers as well. Maybe someone could use them like you did.

I love the way those look, good job!

You have those brackets?? Yes, I can use them...Sending email
Old 4th July 2011, 02:34 PM   #675
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Huff View Post
I used an AP20 to create a 24dB per octave crossover at 550Hz and then Dirac Live to flatten out the room response. The top PIC shows the 'averaged in room response' before and after Dirac Live was applied. The bottom PIC shows the measured impulse before and after Dirac Live was applied. Altho a super tweeter could be easily justified, the end result is very listenable. I really, really like they way the IWATAs sound. There is no honk or harshness whatsoever. Even tho I am applying aggressive EQ in to upper most bands the IWATA/ JBL combo is not at all tiring on the ears.

The IWATA 300s are keepers! I wholeheartedly recommend them. My next purchase will be a pair of Truextent Berylium diaphragms and see if I can smooth out the jaggies above 8kHz.

Very, very good stuff there!!

I hope to have my IWATAs tested this week and I will post the HOLM measurements too.
Old 4th July 2011, 04:39 PM   #676
jzagaja is online now jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
Biradials go into production this week. If you have any suggestion let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Biradial.jpg (90.1 KB, 517 views)
Old 5th July 2011, 08:25 PM   #677
diyAudio Member

I have the TAD TD-4001s connected. I will post pictures of my temp build soon (Im using twin sealed TD12S boxes as the bass bin for it).

I will get some measurements but after 30 minutes just using ARTA pink noise and tinkering with MiniDSP on the fly changes I have what I describe has my best sounding horn yet....TAD is definitely not a Pro audio CD in any way....smooth!! I only have one speaker but I decide to play my favorite rock playlist. I then plugged in my current QSC + BMS 4550 + TD15M and subjectively it was not even close. Im getting excited about having a stereo listening session with better XOs (better delay, gain settings, etc) but work and family will delay my next step.
Old 5th July 2011, 08:36 PM   #678
diyAudio Member

Here is the horn on top of my two TD12S bass bins.

IWATA_TD12S.jpg
Old 15th July 2011, 10:35 PM   #679
diyAudio Member

Hi EricH,

Any news on the 2nd group buy (ordered a pair of JMLC300) you were organizing the last time I corresponded with you?

Abe
Old 15th July 2011, 11:12 PM   #680
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Doug, are you thinking about front horns for bass in the future? That is looking good already!

Hide this!Advertise here!