• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

No, not in the least.

Physics requires that any source which is Constant Directivity cannot be flat on axis. Hence, the flat response is simply proof that the device is not constant directivity. I would be impressed if it fell at 6 dB/oct though - in the far-field that is, because everything looks good at 30 cm.

It can be flat on axis if the driver has a flat power response. Is that not the case below the mass corner? It's certainly something I've seen before. It's why we use shelf filters over the top portion of the bandwidth rather than across the entire operating region...

That said, I agree that the TAD drivers do not have a flat power response to 20kHz. Are plane-wave tube measurements a thing of the past?

Hot pictures from München.

Attachments

• Mon2012_1.jpg
    Mon2012_1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,030
  • Mon2012_2.jpg
    Mon2012_2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,023
Still waiting for independent opinions - note that this two models were prepared only three weeks before trades, Universe virtually as we live 700km apart. What I know from initial trials is that DEQX or similar processor (OpenDRC+AcourateDRC) are highly recommended - DEQX is used by Autotech but only as a DAC (microphone failure). Universe uses active Kappa 15A. For more extensions we could try Dayton Reference. There were questions about open baffle construction as well.

Munich High End Show Report 2012 High End Society Show Coverage

Autotech rating:

no. 1 MBL
no. 2 Universe
no. 3 Cessaro

Last edited:
4001 in Autotech Iwata

Hi Lukazs

where did you find those measurements?
(I am using 4001 and your/JMLC iwatas)

Gianluca

hello
where do you hipass the TD-4001 in that horn? slope? added tweeter?
doing extensive tests with JBL 2446 truextent and TAD TD-4001 in Norway
we have Iwata 300, CNC´d plywood Iwata 300, JMLC200T, TAD-TH4001, JBL 2360. In the bigger horns we´ve tried hipassing at down to 300-350Hz with mixed results.
target is to replace AG Trio above midbasshorns
best
Leif
Norway

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 915
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 876
Hello Carl,

I recently bolted on a pair of Beyma CP750ti CDs to my IWATA 300s. I really, really like the combination. They work very well together.

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/CP750Ti.pdf

I used to optimize a passive crossover for my friend René Cariou for his system that uses a Radian 760 NeoPB on Iwata 300 without tweeter for the mid and the high frequencies and a Davis 40 RCA in a bass reflex for the low frequencies.

That passive crossover provides impedance linearisation of the drivers and also some equalisation for the Radian that allows to not use any tweeter. The sound of that set-up is just excellent.

See attached the schematics of the passive crossover.

If you have both the impedance curves of your loudspeakers and their response at 1 meter then I can calculate for you such a crossover which leads to better results than most conventional ones.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Attachments

• filtre_René_Cariou.gif
    filtre_René_Cariou.gif
    7 KB · Views: 1,004

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hello Carl,

I used to optimize a passive crossover for my friend René Cariou for his system that uses a Radian 760 NeoPB on Iwata 300 without tweeter for the mid and the high frequencies and a Davis 40 RCA in a bass reflex for the low frequencies.

That passive crossover provides impedance linearisation of the drivers and also some equalisation for the Radian that allows to not use any tweeter. The sound of that set-up is just excellent.

See attached the schematics of the passive crossover.

If you have both the impedance curves of your loudspeakers and their response at 1 meter then I can calculate for you such a crossover which leads to better results than most conventional ones.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Jean,

I would be very interested in your help with a passive crossover for a design I'm working on. It is a large 300 Hz tractrix horn mated to a 15" vented woofer. I'm just completing the horns and will begin crossover work this weekend. See attached pic.

My biggest concern in designing a passive crossover is accounting for the delay in HF arrival with respect to the woofer acoustic center.

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 978