Waveguides and horns - Page 55 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2011, 08:44 AM   #541
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
Full size bass horn in a room 1/3 oct. smoothing- lack of room modes.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Jogi_basshorn.gif (57.4 KB, 474 views)
Old 28th May 2011, 11:37 AM   #542
Defo is offline Defo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
What is the use of "Horn gain"? I mean who cares? Can't you get high powered amps or high efficiency woofers in Europe? Directivity control is all that matters and you never show that.
Less cone movement, less power needed for a given sound pressure, less distortion, the ability to use low powered amps which very often sound better then its high powered brethren... Enough for me to care...
Old 28th May 2011, 11:41 AM   #543
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
Usually with OS/SEOS one use small capacitor as L-pad and CD correction (flattening power response). Resulting sensitivity drops below 100dB. Bass horn loading is then obsolete ;-)
Old 28th May 2011, 12:02 PM   #544
Defo is offline Defo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzagaja View Post
Usually with OS/SEOS one use small capacitor as L-pad and CD correction (flattening power response). Resulting sensitivity drops below 100dB. Bass horn loading is then obsolete ;-)
Not quite, you still maintain the reduction in cone movement and therefore reduction in distortion as well as increased dynamic headroom. Correct me if I'm wrong tho.
Old 28th May 2011, 01:26 PM   #545
diyAudio Member

So, in a small room (less than 16-20m dimensionally), what benefit can be had by using horn subwoofers? If the wavelengths are longer than room dimensions, AFAIK, it's not going to be acting like a horn (with reduced cone movement and reduced distortion), it's going to act just like a direct radiator. If I lived in an auditorium, I'd be all over using multiple horn subs.
Old 28th May 2011, 05:44 PM   #546
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewma04 View Post
So, in a small room (less than 16-20m dimensionally), what benefit can be had by using horn subwoofers? If the wavelengths are longer than room dimensions, AFAIK, it's not going to be acting like a horn (with reduced cone movement and reduced distortion), it's going to act just like a direct radiator. If I lived in an auditorium, I'd be all over using multiple horn subs.
ER...

A horn subwoofer will still have the behaviour necessary for "horn loading" at down to its corner. (Motor-based) Distortion and cone movement are still reduced.
Old 29th May 2011, 02:40 AM   #547
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLeeEV View Post
ER...

(Motor-based) Distortion and cone movement are still reduced.
As does a bigger driver, and in terms of total size, its still smaller than a bass horn. Sorry to be so blunt, but bass horns in small rooms simply make no sense. That is the reality.
Old 29th May 2011, 11:15 AM   #548
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedlee View Post
As does a bigger driver, and in terms of total size, its still smaller than a bass horn. Sorry to be so blunt, but bass horns in small rooms simply make no sense. That is the reality.

Define a small room? having clean dynamics is imporant. Having less harmonic distortion is important. Having CLEAN 120 dB with 100Watts is important to some people too. Doing it all for around $100 is well....priceless!!!!

Have you seen the low cost flat pack horns on AVSForums?? Have you seen the new F-20 horn design with 20Hz and HUGE output with a $70 driver (MFW-15). It makes a lot of sense if you look at the numbers plus the $$$.

The numbers simply say it makes a lot of sense!! here is a thread that makes a lot of sense http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1329971, there is are many other builds that make sense. The DTS-10 is a monster choice for low power high output down to 12Hz.

FWIW, I choose the best subwoofer drivers instead and go sealed because I want 10Hz output (> 110dB) but my solutions is 10x more expensive. The value/performance of bass horns is not lost on me.

Last edited by doug20; 29th May 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 29th May 2011, 11:45 AM   #549
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

You can add this 6.5" anarchy tapped horn (flat pack option) to the list of great bass horns.

Group Buy for 6.5" Anarchy Tapped Horn. - AVS Forum

HORNS do offer a GREAT VALUE!!
Old 30th May 2011, 08:00 PM   #550
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20 View Post
Define a small room?
Less than 50' or so in any given dimension, I'd guess.

Hide this!Advertise here!