• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

I have been in communication with a local driver designer here in Australia that wont even consider compression drivers because of their distortion levels.

Distortion level of Radian 950PB/Truextent in JMLC-350 at 101.6dB.

Attachments

• Data Set Radian_TrExt 4008 Jacek Horn09.png
    Data Set Radian_TrExt 4008 Jacek Horn09.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 920
Merry Christmas all!

No, just affirming your opinion of Gluca's engineering since it seems to fall in line with good engineering practice.

GM

yea I am a fitter/machinist So I know something about metal work. I know how hard it is to make a nice compression driver mount. Not a job I look forward too personally. I am tube builder on asylum BTW.

I hope everyone going to have a Merry Christmas. Mine looking pretty sweet.

except the rcf drivers I just hooked up. But thats a minor matter ;)

Looking great Jzagaja.

I mentioned to you earlier that myself and another guy were working on some compression drivers that performed as good as the DE250.

Member Bwaslo and I tested them a couple days ago and they did very good and pricing will be REALLY nice.

Here's the graph comparisons below. One of the production ready models is on the top, the DE250 is in the middle, and the other production ready model is on the bottom.

The one on the top matches the DE250 the best. It actually extends a little higher too. I think it was about $8 more than the one on the bottom.

How'd we do??? :D

CD_test.jpg

Beating the DE250 on price is really a no-brainer as a scan of

Compression Driver-Compression Driver Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com

will show. Its the reliability and support that is the bigger factor. I have contacts in China who will sell me DE250 knock-offs for about $20.

Beating the DE250 on price and performance isn't necessarily a no brainer. Like you said, I'd be worried about support for many things.

Luckily, the ones I showed above were actually worked on and tested here, and I'm 98% sure the nicer ones will be assembled here in Ohio using parts from a couple different manufactures. We contacted 3 (sort of 4) different suppliers for parts, full samples, etc. We worked with some things from Europe as well. The guy that came up with the best model had much more input than I did. I know he went through a lot of different part configurations to get it right. And of course his tested better than mine. (his is the one on the top).

Reason being, his knowledge about their workings is much greater than mine. He's been well known in the audio business for many many years so he knew what was needed, what modifications to make, etc. We were pretty happy with the results.

Last edited:
How so?

The directivity variation w/freq is nice and smooth, but decreasing, i.e. not CD.

Not to speak for John, but that those horns seem to be shaped to beam. So the driver's doing what it's technically supposed to do on that horn.

That does have me wondering what such a driver would look like on a OS waveguide, though I suspect it would ultimately be too fragile and not go low enough to be useful.