Waveguides and horns - Page 35 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2011, 03:06 PM   #341
Scaper is offline Scaper  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeh the smaller waveguides will be easy (like the 12" OSWG). A pair should be able to be shipped anywhere for around $20-$25, maybe less if I can find the right box and packaging methods. The larger ones that are 30" wide? Well, they'll probably be cheaper to send separately. There's a small box company here that said they would help me figure out the best and cheapest ways to ship the items.

The odd thing is that I read the whole thread and many of the people that were voting for the Iwata 300 to be made decided that they didn't want one when I contacted them. That's kind of a bummer. I wonder how big an Iwata 500 would've been and if it would've fit in a 24" wide box?

Regardless, I think those larger ones could almost.....almost be considered a 'luxury' waveguide. And I think people know they can't find things like that anywhere else. So shipping those big boys is worth it to them in the end.

Obviously if there were 2 people in one general area, I'll package some on a skid and shipping will drop quite a bit. Earlier in the year I shipped a 550lb pallet of amplifiers to New York for around $200. So of course that would really drop the shipping costs, and likely be safer.
Old 15th January 2011, 03:18 PM   #342
jzagaja is offline jzagaja  Poland
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jzagaja
I think we can still add another model to SEOS-15 and SEOS-10. Jean Michel has shown E-JMLC conforms target directivity curves published by Earl Geddes. This means E-JMLC 400 or 500 is good candidate for hi-end 1inch drivers and an alternative to waveguides. Any suggestions appreciated.

Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns
Old 15th January 2011, 03:55 PM   #343
diyAudio Member

jzagaja, I did have a decent number of people ask for something in the 18" - 20" range. But I guess that doesn't really mean they were ready to buy them, just very interested. Would that 400/500 do okay with something a bit larger than high end 1" drivers?

Or do you have any thoughts on one of your current designs being modified to go between the 400 - 1000 models that you sell right now?

Last edited by Scaper; 15th January 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 15th January 2011, 04:08 PM   #344
diyAudio Member

An extreme WG (>20") is interesting indeed but maybe after SEOS release. For now Minphase can be used instead. All elliptical horns are for particular throat so maybe 1.4" with 1" conical extension. I'm thinking about TAD and BMS users (crossover 700-900Hz). Those who use BMS coax prefer JMLC-200T, Iwata-300 or Tractrix-200 (to be released in February).
Old 15th January 2011, 04:25 PM   #345
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Greyhound shipping

Greyhound PackageXpress can ship a box of max dimensions 82x47x30 inches and up to 100lbs. $60 to $70 for one box with two large Iwatas ect. They are cheaper because you must drop off and pick up at the bus station. This is the best deal in the US for shipping large pakages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Shipping within the US for any of the larger horns such as Iwata or JMLC350 is hard to calculate as it is based on volume not weight because of the over size. Average UPS for a 24x24x24 inch box is only $60. A 30x30x30 inch box is $170. To fit better on the pallet and to have any chance of getting two horns in one box, It would save a lot of space to have the driver mounts left off to be epoxied on by the user at the final destination.
Old 15th January 2011, 04:30 PM   #346
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

wow, i've just spent the last 2 hrs reading this thread and i'm more confused than when I began, this has got to be the most all over the place GB i've ever seen. great looking products and i'm dead keen on a small waveguide substitute to be baffle/case mounted for tweeter, but i'm unclear what/where/who/how/if its being offered or what/where/who/how/ I go about making it happen? seems there has been hundreds of different options talked about in here and even ordered, by people thinking they could just make a 'GB' of one, by typing one horn model combination they wanted into this thread.

a small 10-12" carbon fiber waveguide/horn with 1.4" throat would be teh sex, but dont know if that ever happened

Last edited by qusp; 15th January 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 15th January 2011, 05:04 PM   #347
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
wow, i've just spent the last 2 hrs reading this thread and i'm more confused than when I began, this has got to be the most all over the place GB i've ever seen.
That's because it also had a lot of waveguide designing going on within the thread. That's all over with now.

It might be best if I started a new "Official" group buy thread that was only used for ordering.
Old 15th January 2011, 05:28 PM   #348
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Agreed. This thread is confusing. When a horn is decided on, then start a GB.
I could be more than one size/type combined for shipping, but this should be decided on first.
Old 15th January 2011, 06:05 PM   #349
diyAudio Member

For group buy please use Autotech Group Buy - autotech.wikidot.com
(after some time we can move it to Scaper's website)

In this thread I'm answering to technical questions and post news. Hope that helps.
Old 15th January 2011, 06:17 PM   #350
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaper View Post
That's because it also had a lot of waveguide designing going on within the thread. That's all over with now.

It might be best if I started a new "Official" group buy thread that was only used for ordering.
I realize that, i've been part of a number of threads like that out in the forum proper (which is where this should be until a design, or list of designs is decided on IMO; i'm definitely with Pano there 100%) but even taking that into account it seems that noone took any real leadership to keep it under control, set boundaries and an agenda for discussion. instead it read like a gaggle of peoples wish lists interspersed with product development going in a number of directions (though very sexy) with a few personal attacks and discussion of patent infringements thrown in for good measure.

I never knew what I was going to be able to get, because there would be talk in one direction, trying to get numbers, some technical discussion, some people would join, some people would drop out because it was changing direction to being too large or too small, then a new group would form trying to get numbers and lobby (sometimes desperately) to make it happen, random people would just drop in out of nowhere and order a combination/specification from the list of variables that wasnt even close to what was being discussed (like it was a smorgasbord), forgetting that a minimum number is needed. multitude mini shipping GBs all over the place, then someone would drop out, I would lose interest but continue reading hoping for it to change direction again, so there to be something that was useful to me at the end etc etc.

my head is spinning just writing that out.

nothing personal at all, just an opinion; GB's are hard things to manage, please take the above as well meaning feedback as intended

so yeah anyway, my suggestion is to start a new thread or wiki, with 1 or several FINAL options; their applications, dimensions (DXF models would be awesome) clearly spelled out and preferably illustrated, with a clear pricing/payment structure.

then we can see what the grouping is for the different models and work out smaller shared shipping groups from there (or do this by PM), with a deadline to work that out and a backup plan for one off shipping.

Hide this!Advertise here!