• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h I have probably mis written your name maybe 500 times so please forgive my ignorance if you ever come across an example. I will try harder in future. I have a azuru 150 hz horn with your profile. I just put a sticky on my monitor in the hope it wont happen again. I will try this for martians azuru next.

Yes multisectorial horns is what I was trying to demonstrate.I love both multisectorials(new sticky too) and multicellular.

I wonder if you can help me jean Michel in the past week I have lost a little faith in compression drivers. Mike bates opinion was one that made me rethink. He was referring to the audax PR170mo mid driver and how good it can be with and with out a horn and in pairs and that he eventually tired of compression drivers as being too brash in the end.

A local speaker repair said I was immature for even trying to use them at all. He quoted that some have 50% distortion anyway. I have decided to try build more cone driven horns and less compression driver horns and concentrating on low compression 1.1 in my cone driven horns and also experimenting with high efficiency direct radiator speakers. Something based of twin Audax PR170M0 6.5" and drivers of similar efficiency for the rest of the spectrum. I guess horn tweeters are unavoidable. I was looking at low mid compression drivers in the 2 inch class now I have decided to stick with the 4 pair of 1 inch drivers I have for upper mid for the time being and not try to get anything above 12 k from them before switching to ring radiators and building small cone driven horns for the lower mid. Then bigger cones for bass horn and then tapped horn for low end.

Do you think there is some rational to the idea that horn speakers while class leading dynamically ultimately are fatiguing to listen to or is it more likely a result of poor application and or source material. You have heard more systems then I could ever dream of listening too. I live in a remote part of Australia. I listen to what I build. Maybe the reason I build so many systems and amps. I guess this is a bit of a loaded question thus the reason I thought I wouldn't sneakily ask it hear where nobody looking. ;) I have a jbl 2226's and altec 288's and 1" some ev's and toa's This is the standard of compression drivers I would have access to. Not yl goto or onken. Maybe those ones are completely fatigue free when run 5 and 6 way. I build decent dht amps too.

You think I should keep the faith? Or head in the direction stated above. I wont be offended Jean-Michel if its inappropriate to answer this. It's definitely of topic.

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=90

It all comes down to "taming the beast". The "beast" could very well be a brass-band, happily going through a small pedestrian street with you among the crowd. You notice the immence loud and nearly earpinching volume and dynamics - and still react to your bystander when he/she talks when the band is in in the midth of a silenced passage.
Real-life music reproduction is more dynamics than the quest of broadband linearity or phase-ditto. (Both are of course the last step to perfection).

People that has lived all their lives never to have heard live music and the immence and often overhwelming "real-life" dynamics condemn speakers other than a two-way system that will make it easy to spot the cell-phone ringing in the bed-roome!

A horn-system is rightfully intimidating - in the right way1

really curious about life expectancy of the foam surrounds. these are probably made some 20 years ago or so and most of these in use are in need of new ones. are there original ones to find?

Please what do you mean? Are these really old stock? I guess if they where and I found nothing better. I still would buy them and make chamois leather surrounds for them. And if they sounded wrong I would pay someone more qualified to fit some generic foam surrounds that happened to fit.

It all comes down to "taming the beast". The "beast" could very well be a brass-band, happily going through a small pedestrian street with you among the crowd. You notice the immence loud and nearly earpinching volume and dynamics - and still react to your bystander when he/she talks when the band is in in the midth of a silenced passage.
Real-life music reproduction is more dynamics than the quest of broadband linearity or phase-ditto. (Both are of course the last step to perfection).

People that has lived all their lives never to have heard live music and the immence and often overhwelming "real-life" dynamics condemn speakers other than a two-way system that will make it easy to spot the cell-phone ringing in the bed-roome!

A horn-system is rightfully intimidating - in the right way1

Yes possibly I think easiest for me to believe on the right path atm because I can avoid buying some costly 2 inch drivers for low mid duty's.I many nice cones suitable for low mid duty's already.

Please what do you mean? Are these really old stock? I guess if they where and I found nothing better. I still would buy them and make chamois leather surrounds for them. And if they sounded wrong I would pay someone more qualified to fit some generic foam surrounds that happened to fit.

well AFAIK audax seazed the production of these at least 10 years ago, probably a bit more. someone should know better but this is a known fact that PR170 with paper cone and foam surrounds is an obsolete driver. i remember forum posts from the people whose surrounds at PR170MO deteriorated very fast.

i don't know if you can obtain original surrounds from audax, really don't know. if this driver is as good as it is touted (don't know, never heard it), than i would be also very careful about putting a generic stuff on it unless it's 100% the same. i do like your idea with leather though.

this said i'm sorely tempted with a pair of these for 300-1500 range on my multi way project in development. it may sound more human than ruthless CDs.

Iwata 200 (to be available in June).

Attachments

• Iwata-200 copy.jpg
    Iwata-200 copy.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 651
well AFAIK audax seazed the production of these at least 10 years ago, probably a bit more. someone should know better but this is a known fact that PR170 with paper cone and foam surrounds is an obsolete driver. i remember forum posts from the people whose surrounds at PR170MO deteriorated very fast.

i don't know if you can obtain original surrounds from audax, really don't know. if this driver is as good as it is touted (don't know, never heard it), than i would be also very careful about putting a generic stuff on it unless it's 100% the same. i do like your idea with leather though.

this said i'm sorely tempted with a pair of these for 300-1500 range on my multi way project in development. it may sound more human than ruthless CDs.

Yea they might be nice with chamois. I bought some beautiful natural chamois from the auto shop. Though heavier then foam for sure come to think of it.

Loudspeaker Enclosure

Yuichys way of changing surrounds without pulling anything apart. Fane has gone broke. So studio 8 is gone out of production. I am sure there is something out there though. But hey audax with the chamois might special and for life.