• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

Yeh the smaller waveguides will be easy (like the 12" OSWG). A pair should be able to be shipped anywhere for around $20-$25, maybe less if I can find the right box and packaging methods. The larger ones that are 30" wide? Well, they'll probably be cheaper to send separately. There's a small box company here that said they would help me figure out the best and cheapest ways to ship the items.

The odd thing is that I read the whole thread and many of the people that were voting for the Iwata 300 to be made decided that they didn't want one when I contacted them. That's kind of a bummer. I wonder how big an Iwata 500 would've been and if it would've fit in a 24" wide box?

Regardless, I think those larger ones could almost.....almost be considered a 'luxury' waveguide. :D And I think people know they can't find things like that anywhere else. So shipping those big boys is worth it to them in the end.

Obviously if there were 2 people in one general area, I'll package some on a skid and shipping will drop quite a bit. Earlier in the year I shipped a 550lb pallet of amplifiers to New York for around $200. So of course that would really drop the shipping costs, and likely be safer.

jzagaja, I did have a decent number of people ask for something in the 18" - 20" range. But I guess that doesn't really mean they were ready to buy them, just very interested. Would that 400/500 do okay with something a bit larger than high end 1" drivers?

Or do you have any thoughts on one of your current designs being modified to go between the 400 - 1000 models that you sell right now?

Last edited:
Greyhound shipping

Greyhound PackageXpress can ship a box of max dimensions 82x47x30 inches and up to 100lbs. $60 to $70 for one box with two large Iwatas ect. They are cheaper because you must drop off and pick up at the bus station. This is the best deal in the US for shipping large pakages.
Shipping within the US for any of the larger horns such as Iwata or JMLC350 is hard to calculate as it is based on volume not weight because of the over size. Average UPS for a 24x24x24 inch box is only $60. A 30x30x30 inch box is $170. To fit better on the pallet and to have any chance of getting two horns in one box, It would save a lot of space to have the driver mounts left off to be epoxied on by the user at the final destination.

wow, i've just spent the last 2 hrs reading this thread and i'm more confused than when I began, this has got to be the most all over the place GB i've ever seen. great looking products and i'm dead keen on a small waveguide substitute to be baffle/case mounted for tweeter, but i'm unclear what/where/who/how/if its being offered or what/where/who/how/ I go about making it happen? seems there has been hundreds of different options talked about in here and even ordered, by people thinking they could just make a 'GB' of one, by typing one horn model combination they wanted into this thread.

a small 10-12" carbon fiber waveguide/horn with 1.4" throat would be teh sex, but dont know if that ever happened

Last edited:
wow, i've just spent the last 2 hrs reading this thread and i'm more confused than when I began, this has got to be the most all over the place GB i've ever seen.

That's because it also had a lot of waveguide designing going on within the thread. That's all over with now.

It might be best if I started a new "Official" group buy thread that was only used for ordering.

That's because it also had a lot of waveguide designing going on within the thread. That's all over with now.

It might be best if I started a new "Official" group buy thread that was only used for ordering.

I realize that, i've been part of a number of threads like that out in the forum proper (which is where this should be until a design, or list of designs is decided on IMO; i'm definitely with Pano there 100%) but even taking that into account it seems that noone took any real leadership to keep it under control, set boundaries and an agenda for discussion. instead it read like a gaggle of peoples wish lists interspersed with product development going in a number of directions (though very sexy) with a few personal attacks and discussion of patent infringements thrown in for good measure.

I never knew what I was going to be able to get, because there would be talk in one direction, trying to get numbers, some technical discussion, some people would join, some people would drop out because it was changing direction to being too large or too small, then a new group would form trying to get numbers and lobby (sometimes desperately) to make it happen, random people would just drop in out of nowhere and order a combination/specification from the list of variables that wasnt even close to what was being discussed (like it was a smorgasbord), forgetting that a minimum number is needed. multitude mini shipping GBs all over the place, then someone would drop out, I would lose interest but continue reading hoping for it to change direction again, so there to be something that was useful to me at the end etc etc.

my head is spinning just writing that out.

nothing personal at all, just an opinion; GB's are hard things to manage, please take the above as well meaning feedback as intended

so yeah anyway, my suggestion is to start a new thread or wiki, with 1 or several FINAL options; their applications, dimensions (DXF models would be awesome) clearly spelled out and preferably illustrated, with a clear pricing/payment structure.

then we can see what the grouping is for the different models and work out smaller shared shipping groups from there (or do this by PM), with a deadline to work that out and a backup plan for one off shipping.

Groups by continent

The groups are only needed for the large horns due to intercontinental shipping innefficiencies on single units. Not really for quantity counts of rare components. Anyone is free to order any of the stock horns at any time. Any quantity. The current discussion of a group buy is only to help North America to fill a pallet to get the initial shipping down to $50 each. Australia/ New Zealand ect. would have to fill their own pallet for $2000 shipping or pay $500/ pair for shipping. The other problem has been that everyone wants something totally different without paying attention to the theory and the size that comes with any given cut off frequency. 1", 1.4", 2" drivers. 300Hz cross, 2000Hz cross. And everything in between. Jack has been very patient considering all requests and trying to group them into a model range that will offer a solution for every possible application.

Not yet - usually requires larger quantity. Solid surface below.

Attachments

• 1399501164.jpg
    1399501164.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 726
  • 1399501164_1.jpg
    1399501164_1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 713
  • 1399501164_3.jpg
    1399501164_3.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 710
The groups are only needed for the large horns due to intercontinental shipping innefficiencies on single units. Not really for quantity counts of rare components. Anyone is free to order any of the stock horns at any time. Any quantity. The current discussion of a group buy is only to help North America to fill a pallet to get the initial shipping down to $50 each. Australia/ New Zealand ect. would have to fill their own pallet for $2000 shipping or pay $500/ pair for shipping. The other problem has been that everyone wants something totally different without paying attention to the theory and the size that comes with any given cut off frequency. 1", 1.4", 2" drivers. 300Hz cross, 2000Hz cross. And everything in between. Jack has been very patient considering all requests and trying to group them into a model range that will offer a solution for every possible application.

well the way I was reading it, there was also a LOT of discourse about getting customized shape large horns and as you say, everyone wants something different

indeed there was/is far too many options being talked about, thats what I was referring to, people talking about basically having a design of their own somehow thinking this would happen and they would be able to realistically ship a 150hz horn for cheap; or fit a 150hz horn into a sane size speaker build

I wasnt even really directing my critisism at Jack, in fact I was amazed by your patience Jack!! utterly amazed; but if anything perhaps you were too passive instead of curtailing space and time wasting conversation.

doesnt matter, Jacks on the right track now and if the wiki is well thought out I think this will be a really good seller.

myself i'm in for a couple of small waveguides, but need to do some more reading on the science to see what size I need, rather than just buying the look I want

Guys, I'm just waiting for a domain name to be directed to a new hosting service. Once that happens I'll have a website up with the information. It was suppose to take 2 days, but the company hasn't transferred the info yet. You can contact me here and let me know what you want though. I've had a lot of people tell me what they want already.

Alright, I've spent a couple days getting this website put together to show the different styles and pricing. Don't worry, none of the other links take you anywhere but pure 100% waveguides! Because this forum won't let you edit your posts after a while, we couldn't have a page here to add people to the group buy. So I decided to create a web page that lists who is on the group buy and what they are getting.

I'll update it almost daily so that you can see your name listed and know you're finally good to go.

I'm just going to use a persons screen name. If you don't want people to see what you're buying, just tell me to leave it off, but I'll still put your name up so that you know you're on the list.

I know that I'm missing some of the technical data on a few horns/waveguides and I know the website is a bit cheesy. I did the best I could for now. Tell me what to add, and I will. One thing I wasn't 100% sure off was the width of the Iwata-300. Some say 24", others say 30".

Prices were as listed from Autotech. I did some figuring and you'll notice that some of the smaller waveguides give a slight discount. I think that can be done because the more smaller items we have on the pallet, the cheaper the shipping ends up per item. I've talked to Auto-tech and they believe it's okay. So as of now, it should be okay. If I'm wrong, and you already ordered, you're set. If I think it needs to be changed, then it will be from that point on. The prices I got for the Mumia cabinets were $1070, but they think $1000 should be fine, so that's what I listed.

Sorry in advance for the colors, I'll tweak them later. Don't worry, virtually every link takes you to the waveguide page, so you can't get lost! :D

DIY Sound Group

I hope that works. Oh, and I'll start a new group buy thread tomorrow.

Last edited: