• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Tea-Bag's IXYS Depletion Mosfet Group and SemiSouth R100 JFET group buy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Tea-Bag,

all semisouth´s have shipped...... must I be bothered, because I did not get mine up to now?

I intend to exchange the IRF240 with Semisouth in BA-1, I have four from Magura and four from you. I would need four more, but matching the new four with the 8 old??

best regards generg

Joined 2006
Paid Member
gernerg, Sorry these took so long to get. We had a several month lead time.

The one's I sent you are matched at 1.57vgs @ 1.3A at 24V.

I would suggest using a two set's of four on the negative rail. (output) You don't want the R100's as the current source.
You can lower the source resistor to .5R or .33R to bring more current to less parts. I can of course sell you more parts, maybe a set of sex with close Vgs, even two. if you want to trade your's back.
I would of course try to get a channel running successfully before ordering more. Make sure it's what you want to hear!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
hi tea-bag,

well spoken! new for me is the information that I don´t need R100 as a current source. I can keep the IRF? that would be fine!
And I will try four at first and lower the source resistor and hear how it sounds.

well spoken! thanks!

The waiting was no problem for me, the time waiting for the other Semi with Magura was much longer. I only wanted to know, if you send mine to me (I suppose you did so) because I did not get them up to now.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
gernerg, Sorry these took so long to get. We had a several month lead time.

The one's I sent you are matched at 1.57vgs @ 1.3A at 24V.

I would suggest using a two set's of four on the negative rail. (output) You don't want the R100's as the current source.
You can lower the source resistor to .5R or .33R to bring more current to less parts. I can of course sell you more parts, maybe a set of sex with close Vgs, even two. if you want to trade your's back.
I would of course try to get a channel running successfully before ordering more. Make sure it's what you want to hear!

hi tea-bag,

the signal from front end goes through the set of three transistors connected
with the positive rail, the current sources, so the sound is also influenced by this parts?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Sorry Generg,
I think I had it backwards, so top is output.
from BA-1 article.
There is also a bias system for the negative half of the output stage formed by R216, R217, R218, R219, C207 and Q204. Q204 is a generic NPN transistor which sees the voltage appearing across the 1 ohm Source resistors of the negative half of the output stage and sets their value at about 0.6 volts, locking them in at a constant current value of 0.6A each. R219 is not ordinarily used here, but can be added if you need to reduce the current in an amplifier which is running too hot. If you need to use it, you can try values starting with 47 Kohm or so, decreasing the resistance for less bias current.

So the IRF240's would go on negative rail. D- is signal path and only goes to top half.

Does this make sense? I have not played with BA-1 since you caught the power labeling issue with right front end, my caps on the front end are blown :(

I did deploy this techique on the Mini-A, using R100 as output, and it sounds pretty nice.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
[/QUOTE] .....
So the IRF240's would go on negative rail. D- is signal path and only goes to top half.

Does this make sense? I have not played with BA-1 since you caught the power labeling issue with right front end, my caps on the front end are blown :(

I did deploy this techique on the Mini-A, using R100 as output, and it sounds pretty nice.[/QUOTE]

Thank you tea-bag for correcting the statement, irritation is gone:confused:... I´am eager to try it. Your set of R100, I am waiting for it!:)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
hi tea-bag, :)

maybe I just heard half of the heaven J2 promises....

I got your semisouth and put them together with the semisouth I got from magura in a BA-1. I left the IRF240 on the negative side doing the job as a current source and ,like Nelson would say, not to spoil the performance of the output stage by the gainstage I changed the IRF610 by a semisouth R100.

Wonderful performance, more details, voices totally different and subtle.

So I can wait for J2 in any version much better!:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.