• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, I just emailed with Mauro he says I am allowed to sell the boards for this amp.

This is where it all started
However, that will be a big read. Suffice it to say we are on RevC.

Twisted Pear has said it is okay for me to run a group buy for the boards they layed out. I will be using their gerbers.
Mauro says it is okay for me to sell them and if I become a millionaire I am to remember him.

Peter Schroder and I ran a buy for this amp over a year ago. It went very smoothly and Peter did an incredible job packaging and keeping track of orders. I will do the same for you all.

This will be a boutique group buy. We have already tried the 'normal' route and found that better components yielded even better sonics in an already excellent amp. There are two experts in the boutique parts area of building this amp. Dario and Tom. I will be using their suggestions for part selection.

So I have talked to Clave Freeman and to Madisonears. They both had awesome sounding systems with the MyRef. I would say they tested for months tweaking the components. The design is the same with the exception of the removal of 4 caps. Other than that they experimented with caps A LOT and came to conclusions that more or less agreed with each other. So we have a few BOMs. One from Dario (clavefreeman) and one from Tom(madisonears). We are not going to discuss the BOM or price immediately because I have not costed them out as I have NO idea of how many people are interested. Lets see what the interest level is and then I will investigate cost.
The options are
1: Boards only
or
2: Premium Kits

I dont intend to do a minimalist kit. If you want the cheap parts the fact is they dont cost much but if we do a group buy for premium parts we might all be able to afford an amp we would not have been able to afford alone.

So I will go ahead and post the BOMs but lets talk interest first because talking about the BOM will only slow things down to a crawl.

Dario responded first to my request for a BOM so I post his first. Here is what he said:
Hi Uriah,

the most important improvement in BOM is, IMHO, using Wima polypropilene caps:

C30 Wima FKP2 1nF 100V 505-FKP21000/100/5
C21 Wima FKP2 22nF 63V (to be mounted in the bottom side of PCB) 505-FKP20.022/63/2.5
C4, C5 Wima MKP4 100nF 250V 7.5 mm lead spacing 505-MKP4.1/250/10
C7 Wima MKP2 100nF 63V 505-MKP20.1/100/5
C32 Wima FKP2 150 pF 100V 505-FKP2150/100/2.5

C17, C18, C19, C20 100nF X7R ceramic (optional, better if not used at all)

As you know these suggestions are in common with Tom.

Regarding elcos I suggest Silmics in C9,C6,C11.

With Wimas in place C9 is also good with FMs (but not as good as with Silmics) and I suppose with BlackGates too.

In C6 and C11 FMs are not so good, IMHO Silmics and Nichicons Muse KZ are better.

In C1, C2 FMs are good.

For the main resorvoir caps I would suggest Nichicon KS, specific for audio (647-LKS1H103MESB)

Regarding resistors I've used Takmans and Dales CMF/RN55, Tom used PRPs, but I suppose that all CMF/RN55 would be a nice choice, the 0.1% RC55Y in kits probably were good too.

You can have a quote for Takmans here.

Dario

Okay then he emailed again and said:

Hi again Uriah,

All Wimas and ceramics are perfect fits, except C21 that has to be mounted on the bottom side of pcb.

C3,C8:

Nichicon KSs are perfect fits, pay attention to the code, it must end with MESB (30 mm diameter).

C6, C11:

Nichicons KZ 100uF 25V Perfect fit
Elna Silmic II 100uF 35V Perfect fit

C9:

With C13 on board no cap would mount perfectly, except:

Elna Silmic II 220uF 35V TIGHT fit
(50V version is probably better and safer but doesn't fit)

With C13 off-board quite all caps fits

Regarding C6, C11 be aware that KZs needs 100 hours burn in and Silmics 50 hours, initially both give an unbalanced sound, closed and with too much bass.

KZs sounds bigger, warmer and a bit less detailed
Silmics are clear and open with a lot of reverbs and details
FMS are clear and open good detail, much less reverbs than Silmics, a bit harsh

Dario

So then Tom emailed me via the forum and said this:

Uriah,

I finally got around to making a BOM. I cannot say that every component I used is necessary or worth the cost. I do know that these are the BEST amps I have ever had in my system. They are insanely good. That has been corroborated by others whose opinions I value. Some of these components are ridiculously expensive, but whatever compromises one makes in order to cheapen these amps might have an impact on the quality of the sound.

If you do another group deal, I suggest you provide only boards. It will be so much easier, and then people can decide if they want to follow the premium BOM. All of these items are available from Mouser, Parts Connexion, or Take Five Audio.

D2-D3-D4 1N4001 Fairchild
Q2-Q3 BC546 Fairchild
Q1 BC639 Fairchild
ZD1, ZD2 BZX85C12 Fairchild
C1, C2, C14 220uF Panasonic FM 50V 20%
C3, C8 12000uF (insert favorite brand) 50V 20%
C4, C5 100nF WIMA MKP4 100V 5% Lead Free
C6, C11, C16 100uF Panasonic FM 35V 20%
C7 100nF WIMA MKP2 63V 5% Lead Free
C9 220uF Blackgate STD 50V
C10 22pF Kemet Golden Max 200V 5%
C12 220pF Vishay/BC Mono Kap 100V 5%
C13 0.68uF Fostex copper/tin foil and PPTA film 240V (mounted off the PCB, with leads wrapped in Teflon tape)
C15 22uF Panasonic FM 50V 20%
C17, C18, C19, C20 not used
C21 22nf WIMA FKP 100V 10% (mounted under the PCB)
C30 1nF WIMA MKP10 1000V 10%
C32 150pF Kemet Golden Max 200V 5%
C34 10pF Kemet MLCC 200V 5%
U1 LM318N National Semiconductor
IC1-2 LM3886 National Semiconductor
D1 GBJ1504 Taitron
R1, R4 1K Yageo 2W 5%
R2 33K PRP 1/4W 1%
R3 0.5 ohm Caddock MP2060 60W 1%
R5, R8 22K1 PRP 1/4W 0.1% (matched by hand)
R6, R9 47K5 PRP 1/4W 0.1% (matched by hand)
R7 12K0 PRP 1/4W 1%
R10 390 Shinkoh Tantalum 1/2W 1%
R11 1 KOA Speer 1/4W 1%
R12 3K3 Shinkoh Tantalum 1/2W 1%
R13 100K PRP1/4W 1%
R14 470 PRP 1W 5%
R15, R16 75K PRP 1/4W 1%
R19 10K PRP 1/4W 1%
R20 47K PRP 1/4W 1%
R21 220K PRP 1/4W 1%
R22 8K2 PRP 1/4W 1%
R37 3K3 PRP 1/4W 1%
R39 470K PRP 1/4W 1%
R43 22K PRP 1/4W 1%
R42 47 PRP 1/4W 1%
R23 6K8 PRP 1/2W 1%
RELAY1 SPDT 24VDC Omron
Heatsink for Caddock resistor Aavid Thermalloy 551002B00000G, which will require moderate trimming to fit among the other PCB components
Ohno UPOCC solid core copper with Teflon insulation for all hook-up wire (available from Take Five Audio)
Vampire pure copper RCA’s and binding posts (no brass content allowed!)

Peace,
Tom E

So thats the deal folks. Lets talk about it for a month or so and then we will decide on ordering boards or boards and BOMs or nothing. Now mind you I will have NO idea as to price til I have a number of people interested. To go get pricing for 100 is just not smart and would not help us any as it would be a lot cheaper than 50 or 20 and it would cause people to question pricing if I quote 100 and end up with 20. So show your interest, know that premium parts means premium pricing and that group buy is going to make it a lot more affordable than otherwise.
Uriah

ps I am good at building this thing. I am not the engineer. We will all have to help each other if there are questions but lets remember that your question has been answered in the main thread and thats a guarantee. The amp sounds incredible and no its not JUST a chip amp. Its a jewel. The only problem people really run into when building is some hum and that has been proven to be solved by further attention to their grounding, every time.

Last edited:
Lets do this
GOOGLE DOCUMENT FOR GROUP BUY
So please express interest here, then on the document. When you express interest here it bumps the thread back to the top and the more people we get the less the kits/boards cost us. So, we want this thread bumped as often as possible.
Please put your email address on the document or at least express interest and email it to me. This way I can email you all for updates rather than doing it one by frustrating one on the diyaudio messaging system.
Uriah

I decided to record all emails on a separate document. So put your email on the google spreadsheet and as soon as I see it I will record it on a separate spreadsheet and replace it on the google doc with the word "entered", "recorded". This way you guys dont have to worry about bots scamming your emails.
Uriah

I can't believe there's a such GB....Uriah is getting creative....

My MyRefC board got all the tweaks in this BOM but unfortunately haven't working yet until now...... :(

Ed,
Yes I am using their gerbers and there will be no changes to the gerbers. They are proven to work flawlessly. So yes the ultimate BOM will fit the original boards with the possible exception of the input cap which can be enormous and would take up a lot of board space. Plus the input cap can go inline from amp chassis input to board input.
You have some boards left and want to purchase just the BOM minus the boards? I think thats fine. If that is what you are thinking why dont you put -2 on the kits section of the spreadsheet rather than 2 if that is the number you want.
Uriah

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.