• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are Mauro reasons to not use a regulator for supplying the LM318? He got really angry and left the forum when people started to make experiments...

His intent was simply to experiment with LM3886 in the Musical Fidelity topology so 'secondary' aspects as PS are not 'state of the art' but neither neglected.

The zener regulator is pretty simple, economic and has good performance enough for his intent and it's the same used by MF...

The decision to share his design was subsequent.

I think he didnt understand DIYaudio when he first posted his design. He thought everyone would be delighted to have his amp, his baby.

I do agree.

They were but of course they wanted to tweak it and I think the tweaking became to much for him. It was offensive to him everytime a change was suggested. This is how I see it. Reality may be different

No, it's not so IMHO, Mauro was upset by all the people that without an even basic understanding of the topology or some measurement/study of the actual circuit started to say things like:

• no shunt bypasses? it's no good,just wait a second that I fix it.
  • all elcos must be bypassed, it' a rule o thumb, it's incredible that you don't even thought about it
  • Zeners? Can't sound good, this PS is crap
a good example of what I'm saying is here:

-...A thing that has struck me is that all they have thought about improves my layout, that have done in 2 hours but it is already good, or the PS, but any has recommended a bypass of ELcap 220uF on NFB with a film cap, does that it may be a lot of more useful ( and demonstrable ) of the PS bypass.
- General PSU: I study Power Amp from about 20 years, and I have make a will nearly all the techniques of the "guru", ( is opamp that SS power amp ). The "low cost" compromises that I propose am not "casual" but "serious". If I have not put LM78xx or 317 are because has not given concrete ameliorations, not because I have not thought !

- I have read of the " critical" on the layout PS.
I have worked a lot of years with precision hi-tech circuits, and not don't need "lessons" on the PS bypass from any.
One's own my professional experience has taught me that are a lot of more critical the super-stabilized circuits of that "floating". To the critics, suggestion to study the rules of base of the PSRR and of the " virtual GND". My circuit uses as " virtual GND" the Main GND, that it has the 50 or 60 Hz ripples, but it is "common mode" to the PS, and all the circuit "floating " together ( without residues on the signal ).
Is not a case that little hi-tech amp are so "silent".
Humbly, advice to learn, some time, instead of pretend to teach it he has many things that know.
Ciao

Mauro

Basically he was upset because people judged, and changed, his design without asking him, or trying to understand, why he made certain choices...

Attachments

• MF A370 Sch.jpg
    MF A370 Sch.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 383
  • MF A370 MkII Sch.jpg
    MF A370 MkII Sch.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
For the simplicity of the design, this amp sounds amazingly good. You can modify or complicate it with additional circuitry, as Mauro himself has done, and perhaps get even better sound.

Peace,
Tom E

Mauro did it right the first time. The only "OPTIONAL and SIMPLE" improvement to this design is a parts manufacture swap as Uriah is doing now.

Mauro was mistreated by a few members and was fully justified in leaving. This forum suffers because of it. Sadly I see the same in several threads and all from lesser designers who contribute no original ideas and / or very little constructive information.

Twisted Pair did a professional job of getting permission to offer a kit, and then again stopping sales as a courtesy and respect to Mauro.

Uriah has followed with permission to again offer the kits and PERSONALLY I think this GB of the premium parts is paying homage to Mauro by showing just how good this amp is and how it deserves and keeps company with the BEST parts in the industry.

edit: And I quoted that part of tom's statement in agreement. Sorry if that was not clear.

Last edited:
The only think I would ask him is an explanation about why not doing this change to the PSU. I mean using a regulator. I mean a technical explanation. I really am very curious about why it doesn't give and improvement in this particular circuit.
Why it is not so spreadly using zeners for regulation rather than IC regulators?

Mauro addressed that in the original thread.

His explanation and the sonic proof was justification enough for me.

It was suggested to me that the schematics should acknowledge Mauro. I have done that. I have also added a few notes summarising the findings/alternatives that have been selected for use in this BoM. New pdfs attached.

I note in the excellent BoM that line 9 mentions "C4, C6" which I think should be "C4, C5", and line 30 mentions "D1, D2,.." which should be "DR1, DR2,.." to match the schematic.

Regards
Geoff

Attachments

• RevC schem.pdf
    58.7 KB · Views: 109
  • RevC schem-BW.pdf
    58.4 KB · Views: 93
MyRef_C Ultimate Documentation 1.2

I have just released the last updated documentation file for this group buy project. The main changes are:

-Rearranged main schematic pdf. Now it is more clear to see the nomenclature of each component. Added some comments on the main schematics. Thanks to geoffcooper for the hard work.

-In color and B/W main schematics versions. Some people prefer to see the schematics in black and white. Thanks again to geoffcooper.

-Some minor changes in filenames.

MyRef_C_Ultimate_Documentation_v1.2.rar

Around 120. We had 126 when I put up the shop. Some of those guys never ended up buying and some other guys jumped in. I have probably 10 unsold but when we get to building I think more people will join in and purchase. I am just kitting all of the parts up as if they were all sold. Then when the extras sell I already will have them ready to ship.
Hope you all remember your mothers. Mine is visiting.
Uriah

Well, I have just filled with capacitors the remaining little free space of my Lightspeed regulator for MyRef_C. It has mixture of 4 2200uF 6.3v Nichicon and Rubycon, and a 2200uF 16v Chemi-con. They were scavenged from a computer PSU. Adding a total of 11.000uF capacitance at the regulator output.

We'll see if that's enough. I have attached a picture before the caps.

Attachments

• IMGP1748.JPG
    IMGP1748.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 321
  • IMGP1785.JPG
    IMGP1785.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 326
  • IMGP1782.JPG
    IMGP1782.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 342
Aaaaahhhh!

In the notes I added at the bottom right I goofed with a typo!!!!

The last line should read "For R2 use 10K" not "For R10 ..."
Sorry guys (especially Regi who added these to his documentation).

Hang head in shame and attach corrected files.

Cheers
Geoff

Attachments

• RevC schem.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 105
  • RevC schem-BW.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 78
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.