MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM - Page 94 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2010, 01:16 PM   #931
diyAudio Member

you can lay out the trafos and the boards attached to the heatsinks and measure. Then turn them 90 or 180 and measure again. That should be an easy fast operation if you don't screw the boards with bolts

Regards,
Regi
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:32 PM   #932
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure what kind of noise you're concerned about shielding against. If it's noise from the traffo and AC, there is no need to take any extraordinary precautions. My amps are mounted only a couple inches away from the traffo, and they are stone silent. All that lies between the amps and their traffo is the power supply caps. You do not need to arrange heatsinks to block anything. In fact, having to route AC around heatsink, past the amplifier to the traffo may cause more noise from cabling than it helps avoid. Use the simplest, most direct routing of ALL internal wiring, especially signal input, and you need take no further precautions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my ref C 006.JPG (133.3 KB, 903 views)
Old 2nd December 2010, 04:04 PM   #933
diyAudio Member

Just curious... Although the idea of reading through 93 pages of posts sounds AWESOME, I just wanted to know if this group buy already went through. Was kinda hoping I could get in on the fun! The date range for these posts are pretty far apart, so I assume it has gone through.
Old 2nd December 2010, 04:31 PM   #934
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

This GB is finished.
Another may start up, but be prepared to wait.

This or it's sister thread may come sooner:
MyRef RevD - successor to RevC
Old 2nd December 2010, 05:32 PM   #935
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

AND linuxguru has boards right now for his iteration of the MyREFC which is quite similar to this one AND it has room on the board for all components whereas this board in this thread was quite cramped for room with all the component swapping we did.
Uriah
Old 3rd December 2010, 01:25 AM   #936
diyAudio Member

I just wanted to say what a gem this amp turned out to be. The ref C biamping mono's have been going strong for a couple months now. I built them for my brother, both he and I are very happy with them.

I Want to say thanks to all the people who put a lot of hard work into the group buy, as well as to the people who spent a lot of time swapping parts, tuning the sound. The Ref C is just an awesome amplifier, It puts my "regular" chip amp to shame.

Thanks everyone,

Ben
Old 3rd December 2010, 02:25 AM   #937
billo44 is offline billo44  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re... Shielding

Quote:
Originally Posted by billo44 View Post
I am just about ready to start laying out the 'bits' in the case for my amp.
I am curious... I saw Lazarus quote above and thought that's a good idea! I'll do that.
Now I am wondering if a big aluminium heat sink actually has more shielding effect than the power supply caps would? In that case I would be better with toroids one side of the heat sink and amp boards the other?

I have a strip of suitable heat sink long enough to take two amp boards comfortably.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I'm just thinking aloud....

Cheers
Bill
Dear Andrew, Regi and Madisonears, thanks for your posts.
Helpful ideas, and comments! I wish I had the wherewithal two build two amps Andrew... but I can as Regi suggests try a few different layouts and watch for AC noise on a scope at the output.
Madison ears the simple practical advice is very welcome and sounds good. Nice looking amp you built there! Can you ID the cap you appear to be using across the mains switch?
They should be safety rated shouldn't they? I was looking for a suitable cap for 100V AC mains switches and getting confused by too much information on the intrawebular thingy.
I'm easily confused I fear!

Thanks again
Bill
Old 18th July 2011, 03:24 PM   #938
cersepn is offline cersepn  United States
diyAudio Member

i'm late to the party, but does anyone have spare boards/kits they wish to sell?
Old 5th April 2013, 05:50 AM   #939
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cersepn View Post
i'm late to the party, but does anyone have spare boards/kits they wish to sell?
Same here!
Old 5th April 2013, 08:34 AM   #940
diyAudio Member

I bought a few kits at the beginning of this project with good intentions of building a multi-channel. At the same time I also started a new business which has consumed all of my time so I've made very little progress on the amp.

I know that I have a few kits and extra boards somewhere, just can't remember what. As much as I'd like to build the amp I simply don't have the time so there's no point in me keeping the kits. I'll dig them out later and let you know what is available.

Hide this!Advertise here!