MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2010, 05:31 PM   #601
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
What are Mauro reasons to not use a regulator for supplying the LM318? He got really angry and left the forum when people started to make experiments...
His intent was simply to experiment with LM3886 in the Musical Fidelity topology so 'secondary' aspects as PS are not 'state of the art' but neither neglected.

The zener regulator is pretty simple, economic and has good performance enough for his intent and it's the same used by MF...

The decision to share his design was subsequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
I think he didnt understand DIYaudio when he first posted his design. He thought everyone would be delighted to have his amp, his baby.
I do agree.

Quote:
They were but of course they wanted to tweak it and I think the tweaking became to much for him. It was offensive to him everytime a change was suggested. This is how I see it. Reality may be different
No, it's not so IMHO, Mauro was upset by all the people that without an even basic understanding of the topology or some measurement/study of the actual circuit started to say things like:

• no shunt bypasses? it's no good,just wait a second that I fix it.
  • all elcos must be bypassed, it' a rule o thumb, it's incredible that you don't even thought about it
  • Zeners? Can't sound good, this PS is crap
a good example of what I'm saying is here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauropenasa View Post
-...A thing that has struck me is that all they have thought about improves my layout, that have done in 2 hours but it is already good, or the PS, but any has recommended a bypass of ELcap 220uF on NFB with a film cap, does that it may be a lot of more useful ( and demonstrable ) of the PS bypass.
- General PSU: I study Power Amp from about 20 years, and I have make a will nearly all the techniques of the "guru", ( is opamp that SS power amp ). The "low cost" compromises that I propose am not "casual" but "serious". If I have not put LM78xx or 317 are because has not given concrete ameliorations, not because I have not thought !

- I have read of the " critical" on the layout PS.
I have worked a lot of years with precision hi-tech circuits, and not don't need "lessons" on the PS bypass from any.
One's own my professional experience has taught me that are a lot of more critical the super-stabilized circuits of that "floating". To the critics, suggestion to study the rules of base of the PSRR and of the " virtual GND". My circuit uses as " virtual GND" the Main GND, that it has the 50 or 60 Hz ripples, but it is "common mode" to the PS, and all the circuit "floating " together ( without residues on the signal ).
Is not a case that little hi-tech amp are so "silent".
Humbly, advice to learn, some time, instead of pretend to teach it he has many things that know.
Ciao

Mauro
Basically he was upset because people judged, and changed, his design without asking him, or trying to understand, why he made certain choices...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MF A370 Sch.jpg (223.3 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg MF A370 MkII Sch.jpg (99.8 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by ClaveFremen; 6th May 2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 6th May 2010, 06:07 PM   #602
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

I dont think it was harsh at all. Certainly wasnt intended that way. Was intended basically the way you more eloquently wrote it.
Old 6th May 2010, 06:15 PM   #603
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonears View Post
For the simplicity of the design, this amp sounds amazingly good. You can modify or complicate it with additional circuitry, as Mauro himself has done, and perhaps get even better sound.

Peace,
Tom E
Mauro did it right the first time. The only "OPTIONAL and SIMPLE" improvement to this design is a parts manufacture swap as Uriah is doing now.

Mauro was mistreated by a few members and was fully justified in leaving. This forum suffers because of it. Sadly I see the same in several threads and all from lesser designers who contribute no original ideas and / or very little constructive information.

Twisted Pair did a professional job of getting permission to offer a kit, and then again stopping sales as a courtesy and respect to Mauro.

Uriah has followed with permission to again offer the kits and PERSONALLY I think this GB of the premium parts is paying homage to Mauro by showing just how good this amp is and how it deserves and keeps company with the BEST parts in the industry.

edit: And I quoted that part of tom's statement in agreement. Sorry if that was not clear.

Last edited by troystg; 6th May 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: explaination
Old 6th May 2010, 06:20 PM   #604
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I dont think it was harsh at all. Certainly wasnt intended that way. Was intended basically the way you more eloquently wrote it.
It was brief. And brevity often leaves a tremendous amount of room for interpretation.
Old 6th May 2010, 07:37 PM   #605
diyAudio Member

The only think I would ask him is an explanation about why not doing this change to the PSU. I mean using a regulator. I mean a technical explanation. I really am very curious about why it doesn't give and improvement in this particular circuit.
Why it is not so spreadly using zeners for regulation rather than IC regulators?
Old 6th May 2010, 07:46 PM   #606
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
The only think I would ask him is an explanation about why not doing this change to the PSU. I mean using a regulator. I mean a technical explanation. I really am very curious about why it doesn't give and improvement in this particular circuit.
Why it is not so spreadly using zeners for regulation rather than IC regulators?
Mauro addressed that in the original thread.

His explanation and the sonic proof was justification enough for me.
Old 6th May 2010, 08:12 PM   #607
diyAudio Member

It is just that I haven't found it. I am not implying in any way that he hasn't explained it, just that I can't find it. Would you be so kindly to quote it please? Or anyone who know where...

Thanks guys

Regards,
Regi
Old 7th May 2010, 06:41 PM   #608
diyAudio Member

It was suggested to me that the schematics should acknowledge Mauro. I have done that. I have also added a few notes summarising the findings/alternatives that have been selected for use in this BoM. New pdfs attached.

I note in the excellent BoM that line 9 mentions "C4, C6" which I think should be "C4, C5", and line 30 mentions "D1, D2,.." which should be "DR1, DR2,.." to match the schematic.

Regards
Geoff
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RevC schem.pdf (58.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf RevC schem-BW.pdf (58.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 8th May 2010, 09:59 AM   #609
diyAudio Member

Default MyRef_C Ultimate Documentation 1.2

I have just released the last updated documentation file for this group buy project. The main changes are:

-Rearranged main schematic pdf. Now it is more clear to see the nomenclature of each component. Added some comments on the main schematics. Thanks to geoffcooper for the hard work.

-In color and B/W main schematics versions. Some people prefer to see the schematics in black and white. Thanks again to geoffcooper.

-Some minor changes in filenames.

MyRef_C_Ultimate_Documentation_v1.2.rar
Old 8th May 2010, 01:10 PM   #610
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Boxed up terminals and relays. Boxed up 31 LM318 that I have. Waiting for the others since OnlineComponents sent me only 4. Making headway anyway.
Uriah

Hide this!Advertise here!