MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2010, 02:21 AM   #401
udailey is online now udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

I thought maybe you were feeling crabby
For sure I will save them for you Tom.
I think filing down the ends would work. I dont like drilling on a board either. Its risky.

OKAY VOLUNTEERS <> 3 Stereo Sets will have Shinkohs and PRPs for those 2 positions. You guys will have to promise to build within a month of getting them and report back. The Shinkohs are about $4 each so each of you is ending up with $16 of extra super resistors and we would like to know if you hear a difference and if so what do you hear!?
Sonidos and I will both try them as well since I got 10 of each and I started this whole group buy basically because I want to hear what Tom and Dario are hearing.
Uriah
Old 17th April 2010, 07:30 AM   #402
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonears View Post

Please, no more pest or pet discussions or dog pics. Unless you consider a My Ref a pet!
Peace,
Tom E
Clearly a lover of cats
Old 17th April 2010, 03:45 PM   #403
diyAudio Member

Uriah,
I cannot claim to have audiphile ears (daring to have them is, at least, prepotent), but I am in for the shinkoh test. I will sincerely open my ears and try to squeeze every little detail. I don't promise I will hear any difference (maybe there isn't any), but it will be an unbiased comparison.Maybe in the end I need worth of 100k$ system to discern an unique resistor change, but will be of everybody's interest to know if they really worth the price. Maybe is one of the lasts jumps for the MyRef_C to reach the higher-end possible in its class. Along with audiophile fuses

Regards,
Regi

Last edited by regiregi22; 17th April 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 17th April 2010, 07:12 PM   #404
diyAudio Member

Cool, Thanks Regi.
2 more stereo sets in need of a volunteer to build quickly, test both PRP and Shinkoh, then report back to us
Regi, trust me, resistors make a difference. Never thought they would til I started messing with different brands. I have only tried metal film and LDRs to this point. Not yet carbons.
Uriah
Old 17th April 2010, 07:30 PM   #405
diyAudio Member

I could test. I don't have the best system in the world but it is not junk.
Old 17th April 2010, 07:43 PM   #406
diyAudio Member

I think I will be able to test.

Will be vis-a-vis a standard RevC.

Regards,

Michiel
Old 17th April 2010, 08:41 PM   #407
bluegti is offline bluegti  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you already have your volunteers, but if you have a spare set, I will build quickly. I also have a build from an earlier GB, so I can give a comparison.
Old 17th April 2010, 09:58 PM   #408
diyAudio Member

Bender thanks for the offer. I am familiar with earsandeyes and bluegti through a little email communication and the previous group buy plus they both have built it before and have the others to compare as well which to me is a nice advantage.
So looks like bluegti, earsandeyes and regi.
Thanks guys I think we will learn something here.
Uriah
Old 17th April 2010, 11:46 PM   #409
diyAudio Member

Hold on there guys. I appreciate you're trying to get the best possible kit you can, but you (and we) could end up chasing our tails for ever trying to find the best component.

As a paid up customer I'd rather you send the amp as it is now so I can hear it, and then change components as and when.

Remember, nothing is perfect, but the kit so far is closer to perfect than most items. And those of us who want to tweak it can do so at our leisure.
Old 18th April 2010, 01:29 AM   #410
diyAudio Member

Great to see volunteers jump forward. A couple notes:

Uriah, these are Shinkoh tantalum resistors, correct?

Testing these amps against the "standard" kit supplied last time is a no-brainer. This new kit will sound like a completely different amp, better in every respect. I really liked the sound of the original kit, but I am thrilled by the same circuit with better parts.

What we're interested in is a comparison between two specific components, and for that you will need to build the new kits complete with either PRP or Shinkoh's. I recommend using PRP's first because they are easier to insert and remove, and once the Shinkoh's are in there you might not want to remove them. I suggest you not swap too soon after building, as some of these parts, especially the Blackgates and probably the film/foil input caps, require extensive break in. You will need to put a couple hundred hours (no lie!) of playing time on the new kits, then swap resistors. The resistors do not require much break in (at least, that I could detect), so the listening comparison can be pretty soon after change out.

I don't think you need a super system or golden ears to detect subtle changes. If you can't hear a difference, we need to know that. You need an open mind and some extended, concentrated but relaxed listening to familiar music. Another pair of ears always helps. Everything else in the system must remain the same between tests. Get your sources and cables and stuff settled before you begin. That's why letting the amps break in first is critical.

When I made my comparisons, I changed only one amp at a time, then listened to each one through the same speaker with mono source material. It's hard to find good mono music, but there is some old jazz and classical, even a few remastered pop and rock items, that will suffice. Good mono FM might also work. When I played two amps with different parts (especially the input caps) through a stereo system, sometimes they sounded so different that it screwed up the music completely and I couldn't tell what was going on. If I switched one amp off at a time, I could ususally hear the difference even with only half of a stereo signal. Mono worked best.

So, yeah, it's kind of a pain to do the test, but you will earn our gratitude and respect, plus a better amp.

Peace,
Tom E

Hide this!Advertise here!