MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2010, 10:35 AM   #121
torzsok is offline torzsok  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooka View Post
Strongly disagree: a group buy means exactly the opposite. And of course the prices would rise in case of personal choices on many parts, same as time spent chosing single parts locally, with risks of chosing parts not so suitable...
Totally nonsense on my opinion.
The only optional parts could be the transformer because of 110/220 issues and because of the shipping weight. And that's already like this, luckily.
Full monty. Otherwise I'm out of the group.
What about a poll? Including the transformer is out of question, which means we have 3 items to be discussed: heatsink, input caps and PSU filter caps.

I have some spare heatsinks at hand so I would prefer not to pay for them, let alone the extra cost of shipping. But I would yield to the majority.
Old 7th March 2010, 10:47 AM   #122
Kooka is offline Kooka  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzsok View Post
What about a poll? Including the transformer is out of question, which means we have 3 items to be discussed: heatsink, input caps and PSU filter caps.

I have some spare heatsinks at hand so I would prefer not to pay for them, let alone the extra cost of shipping. But I would yield to the majority.
Of course averyone of us will have some of the parts requested in the kit. If anyone of us asked not to have "this part, and the other one" this would automatically change this from a Group Buy to a Total Mess...
Power trafos are obviously ou of this discussion (and the option about them is already given) but a Group Buy is a Group Buy. Otherwise you can always buy every single part of the kit by yourself, and in this case you have the very comfortable option to get only the boards...

Please let's not make this thing totally unmanageble for the promoter and everyone else...

Last edited by Kooka; 7th March 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:06 AM   #123
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I am thinking about joining this GB.
My preference is to exclude:
transformer
heatsink
PSU smoothing caps
expensive input DC blocking cap.

These will add considerably to cost and Customs charges and add bulk and weight to carriage charges
Old 7th March 2010, 11:08 AM   #124
lucylu is online now lucylu  England
diyAudio Member

I agree with Kooka leave it alone please it far to late for this talk
Old 7th March 2010, 11:39 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Im interested. Quite exciting as im just getting in to all this!!
Old 7th March 2010, 11:44 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
transformer
heatsink
PSU smoothing caps

These will add considerably to cost and Customs charges and add bulk and weight to carriage charges
+1 - Exactly the same issues that I face as an overseas buyer. Keep those items as optional, and let each buyer choose on including them individually.
Old 7th March 2010, 11:54 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I am thinking about joining this GB.
transformer
heatsink
PSU smoothing caps

I strongly agree with that. Transformers are heavy and bulky. Heatsinks are more of "personal taste" and chassis election dependant. But I would include the PSU smoothing caps, not too heavy and have the same "rights" as other caps from the kit. I would put the expensive input cap as an optional extra.
Old 7th March 2010, 01:33 PM   #128
torzsok is offline torzsok  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooka View Post
Of course averyone of us will have some of the parts requested in the kit. If anyone of us asked not to have "this part, and the other one" this would automatically change this from a Group Buy to a Total Mess...
Power trafos are obviously ou of this discussion (and the option about them is already given) but a Group Buy is a Group Buy. Otherwise you can always buy every single part of the kit by yourself, and in this case you have the very comfortable option to get only the boards...

Please let's not make this thing totally unmanageble for the promoter and everyone else...
This is exactly why I suggested a poll. I don't want Uriah to mess around with a hundred options. But it seems there are a few more decisions to be made, including or excluding certain parts is not totally out of question.

If the promoter decides to include a heatsink, I can live with it, too. If he decides not to have the PSU caps in the group buy, I can handle that too, and source those parts locally.

I think 'a Group Buy is a Group Buy' is not an argument.
Old 7th March 2010, 03:14 PM   #129
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Havent seen the thread in a day or so. Wow you guys are getting excited.
This is how I run a group buy. I tell you guys what I will supply and you decide if you want to buy it or not. I am not going to cater to any 1 or 10 people at all under any circumstances. It will only cause confusion later and I am not about to try to offer several versions.
I will offer to provide a transformer or not. And that is only for US customers as shipping a transformer overseas is silly.
I will offer the exact same kit to everyone an it will include power supply caps. Everything to populate the board. I will provide a WIMA DC blocking cap, not the Fostex cap. This will provide good sound at a low price and will allow anyone to have a great starting point until they either decide to go DC coupled or find a great input cap that sounds best to them.
This kit will not provide heatsinks. Simply the parts to populate the board. Chassis and all other components external to the board are up to you guys.
Trust me, if you guys had to run a 100 kit group buy making each order or even 10% of the order custom orders would result in pulling out all your hair I prefer to keep my hair as long as possible.
I think midweek I will have pricing.
Uriah
Old 7th March 2010, 03:37 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

You are right, udailey, there's too much work in this project to make it more complex. We were giving our opinions and you have heard us.

I'm happy with the way this is going ahead.

BTW, could it be possible for you to post the schematic or board layout picture. I am still starting to read the 150 pages original thread, but would be great to have the final ones after so much iterations in the thread.
Thanks for all

Hide this!Advertise here!