MyRef_C with Ultimate BOM - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2010, 04:12 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

I'm interested in a kit (stereo pair)
Old 4th March 2010, 09:49 PM   #102
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Guys,
Whats the difference between MKP4 or 2 and FKP2? Are we basically talking lead spacing here?
There are a few values not available at one distributor in FKP but are in MKP or the other way around and some are available in MKP2 but not MKP4.
Uriah
Old 4th March 2010, 10:00 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Another if anyone remembers
THE BC546 comes in a few different HFE values from 100mA to 400mA. Does anyone recall if that was specified?
Part number for the relay. I dont have it anymore. I remember this thing was a pain to get enough of.
Uriah
Old 4th March 2010, 10:18 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Uriah,

The kit I received had the BC546B.
The relay was this one:
G5LE-14-DC24 Omron Electronics General Purpose / Industrial Relays
Old 4th March 2010, 10:35 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Grimmy!
Thanks for that information. Awesome.
I dont think I am going to include the 38 dollar input capacitor unless a bunch of you request it. Its an important piece of the puzzle but you probably already have a DC free signal to your amps from your pre or your CDP. Plus at QTY 100 kits thats 38 dollars times 200. Crazy.
Uriah
Old 4th March 2010, 10:48 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Uriah,

MKP is WIMA's designation for metallized polypropylene film cap. 4 and 2 designate the package geometry. All MKP2's are 5mm spacing in a square package. MKP4 can be from 7.5mm to 37.5mm lead spacing in an oblong package. FKP2 is a stacked film and foil cap in a square package with 5mm lead spacing, and is a better sounding cap. I believe this would be most important at C21.

Peace,
Tom E
Old 4th March 2010, 11:17 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

The $34 Fostex input cap from Madisound(copper and tin foil) is not essential, but it is a very good idea to have a cap there. Any DC at the input, even unexpectedly, would prove disastrous for speakers, possibly the entire amp. So, the old argument: spend for a nice input cap or buy new drivers?

There are other film and foil caps available for less money. Dario is happy with the Mundorf ZN (tin foil) at half the price from Parts Connexion. I tried a cheaper film and foil cap of similar construction, Auricap Theta (tin foil) from Parts Express, and wasn't satisfied because it sounded bright to me. Others might appreciate the overwhelming amount of detail and sense of depth.

I think a 1.0uf cap is big enough at this position. I use a 0.68uf, and I still have plenty of solid, deep bass.

The important thing is to use a film and foil cap, NOT a metallized film. It will cost more and be bigger, but it will impart a three dimensionality to the sound that cannot be had with a meatllized film cap, even a very expensive one.

I expect that such a high price item would be considerably cheaper in a large quantity and might even be subject to direct negotiation with the supplier. The problem might be availability of such a large quantity. Perhaps you should add a column to the spread sheet for builders to elect buying an appropriate cap in the kit or buy their own or risk leaving it out entirely. We could still get a nice discount for more than ten.

Peace,
Tom E

Last edited by madisonears; 4th March 2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 4th March 2010, 11:42 PM   #108
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
Guys,
Whats the difference between MKP4 or 2 and FKP2? Are we basically talking lead spacing here?
There are a few values not available at one distributor in FKP but are in MKP or the other way around and some are available in MKP2 but not MKP4.
Uriah
The MKP4 is the only polypropilene available in 7.5mm Lead spacing (perfect fit to TP boards), an alternative could be MKS4 (505-MKS4.1/400/10)

The MKP4 it's actually available from Mouser (pay attention, with the same code two articles...click the link for the right one)

Where I've specified FKP2 it should be FKP2 because it makes an audible difference.

FKP2 1000pF is available from Mouser (505-FKP21000/100/5 >1000)
FKP2 22nF is available from Mouser (505-FKP20.022/63/2.5 >300)
FKP2 150pF is available from Mouser (505-FKP2150/100/2.5 >600)

I've found an error with the MKP2 100nF reccomendation, I've ordered it and it's too big (could be fitted but not perfectly) so it's problably better to go for a MKS2 100nF (505-MKS2.1/63/10) or 220nF (505-MKS20.22/63/10), both would fit.
The 0.1 uF opamp bypass could be either a MKS2 or a MKP2.
Old 4th March 2010, 11:51 PM   #109
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Another if anyone remembers
THE BC546 comes in a few different HFE values from 100mA to 400mA. Does anyone recall if that was specified?
Part number for the relay. I dont have it anymore. I remember this thing was a pain to get enough of.
Uriah
Transistor BC546 (512-BC546), this code worked for me.

Relay OMRON G5LE-14-DC24 (Mouser 653-G5LE-14-DC24 , Digikey Z1013-ND)

From Mouser is available (>3500), no stock at Digikey
Old 5th March 2010, 12:01 AM   #110
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I dont think I am going to include the 38 dollar input capacitor unless a bunch of you request it.
The Mundorf Zn is transparent and not harsh at all but probably it could be better to leave the input cap off unless you can get a good discount for it...

Obbligatos are a good choice too and costs only 8$ each.

Uriah, you have mail...

Hide this!Advertise here!