• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Tube-I-zator Professional PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok maybe I dont need instructions but I do have a couple of questions;

1) In photo 1 below there is a WHITE line linking 2 points beside the switch, am I just suppose to link these 2 points with a bit of wire?
Yes, this is for a jumper

2) In the BOM the R I/V resistors are 56 ohm, but I read in the thread somewhere that the Twisted Pear people would recommend 32 ohms, is that correct?
If you're using an ESS9018 DAC from TP I suggest you test from 20R - 32R. I personnaly use 32R.

3) In photo 2, because I am using the Salsa Shunt regulator board I have left out one of the caps & the associated 1K resistor, is that correct?
You mean Salas SSHV... ;) Which version? SSHV2 or the one Oliver sells with the Tube-I-Zator?

4) I am a bit unsure (no idea really :) ) how to connect the Salsa Shunt board to the output stage, I'm pretty sure I connect to the TB1 TB2 points but definitely need some help here.
If you're using the SSHV shunt based on Salas but sold by Oliver, see picture for connection. I'm now using SSHV2 but it connects a bit differently since it is using current sense.

If you're using a single SSHV per Tube-I-Zator, Jumper accross TB1 and TB2 (see orange jumper. Do not add jumpers on those white lines). Black cable is the negative or gnd, brown cable is your rectified DC supply for SSHV and blue cable is the B+ out from your SSHV.

SAM_0280.jpg

Thanks
Do

If you're using a single SSHV per Tube-I-Zator, Jumper accross TB1 and TB2 (see orange jumper. Do not add jumpers on those white lines). Black cable is the negative or gnd, brown cable is your rectified DC supply for SSHV and blue cable is the B+ out from your SSHV.

SAM_0280.jpg

Thanks
Do

Thanks, I an using SSHV V1.1, I will follow your instructions and post a pic before I connect it to the power. I had forgotten to buy the transformer so will be waiting a couple of weeks for it to arrive I also need to order some valves/tubes I thought I'd just take pot luck & buy a matched pair of full Music from ebay.

Many thanks

David

Thanks, I an using SSHV V1.1, I will follow your instructions and post a pic before I connect it to the power. I had forgotten to buy the transformer so will be waiting a couple of weeks for it to arrive I also need to order some valves/tubes I thought I'd just take pot luck & buy a matched pair of full Music from ebay.

Many thanks

David

Hi David,

What Transformer are you ordering?

Also, might I suggest some tubes for you? Although I have not heard the Full Music 12AX7's, I have tried a large number of 6DJ8, 12AU7, 12AX7 and varients of these tubes. So far after switching many tubes I find the best tubes to use are a combination of one RCA black long plate 12AX7 and one Valvo Hamburg long plate 45 degree halo getter tube combined with one tube in each tube socket. The combination is very very good. Although using a black plate Sylvania, RCA or GE 5751 tube in place of the RCA long black plate might be even better. I am going to give this a try and I will report back. I would suggest using a NOS tube rather than a newer production tube. That is just my opinion however of course. Hope this helps you out in some way.

Greg

Hi David,

Also, might I suggest some tubes for you? Although I have not heard the Full Music 12AX7's, I have tried a large number of 6DJ8, 12AU7, 12AX7 and varients of these tubes. So far after switching many tubes I find the best tubes to use are a combination of one RCA black long plate 12AX7 and one Valvo Hamburg long plate 45 degree halo getter tube combined with one tube in each tube socket. The combination is very very good. Although using a black plate Sylvania, RCA or GE 5751 tube in place of the RCA long black plate might be even better. I am going to give this a try and I will report back. I would suggest using a NOS tube rather than a newer production tube. That is just my opinion however of course. Hope this helps you out in some way.

Greg

When it comes to the tranny, I rang the local (semi local) transformer builder (Harbuch Electronics) who is very helpful but a bit technical for me, on his request I sent him an email showing him what I am building & the voltages I require, he then sent my email off to a valve amp designer he knows for advice on the most appropriate configuration, my guess is they will come up with something I cant afford :).

Where would you recommend I buy the valves from? Oops, tubes i mean :)

When it comes to the tranny, I rang the local (semi local) transformer builder (Harbuch Electronics) who is very helpful but a bit technical for me, on his request I sent him an email showing him what I am building & the voltages I require, he then sent my email off to a valve amp designer he knows for advice on the most appropriate configuration, my guess is they will come up with something I cant afford :).

I have bought from ebay, BUT you need to be careful who you buy from. Not all tested tubes are equal. I would buy from a reputable tube seller only. There is also places like Brent Jesse, Tubeworld.com, etc. but these are much more expensive. However, you will get tested high quality tubes.

Let us know what happens......

Hi David,

Greg

Hi Greg,

This is odd to mix tubes in sockets... Each tube is a different channel, left and right. So you would basically have different tone/sound on left and right? Unless you're running balanced which would run - phase and + phase it would maybe blend...

Do

You can buy one from Antek USA

Antek - Transformers - Grid View[]=0

This is dual secondary 150Vac 0.33A with dual secondary 6.3Vac 3A total of 100VA and has static shield. Always depends of which tube you use but it should be ok for many.

Antek - AS-1T150

Thanks
Do

Hi Greg,

This is odd to mix tubes in sockets... Each tube is a different channel, left and right. So you would basically have different tone/sound on left and right? Unless you're running balanced which would run - phase and + phase it would maybe blend...

Do

Yes I am running a balanced setup. And that is a very important point, thank you for bringing it up.

That said, the tube combination is very good (RCA long black plates and Valvo 45 degree halo getter long plate tubes).

If people are looking for a warmer, smoother sound with very "rich" midrange tone, go for the RCA black plates. If people are looking for a more balanced transparent tone, go for the Valvo tubes. I never remember that most people aren't running a balnced rig so than kyou for bringing it up.

Greg

You can buy one from Antek USA

Antek - Transformers - Grid View[]=0

This is dual secondary 150Vac 0.33A with dual secondary 6.3Vac 3A total of 100VA and has static shield. Always depends of which tube you use but it should be ok for many.

Antek - AS-1T150

Thanks
Do

Given I am only building 1 output stage (not dual Mono) I assume I only need 1 x 150V secondary?

I thought the other secondary had to be 9V ?

The price looks good.

At this stage I think I'll stick with a pair of Full Music & see how I go :)

Transformer Dilemma

I have not been making any progress because the local supplier has bee slow in giving me a price to make the transformer. He has advised me I require the following transformer to ensure I get the best performance,

Will design on a 120VA Core at 0.5Telsa, with an Electrostatic Screen and Flux Band 1 x 150v @ 0.1A & 9V @ 2A

The cost is $166.00 plus freight!!! & he wont be able to make it for 3 or so weeks!!

Do I really need this fancy transformer? Will it make a difference, say to the type ANTEK sell?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have ended up ordering the local transformer because I was advised by Antek that they "Didn't make or modify transformers"

I have been getting up the courage to order some Texas TX2575 resistors, I was wondering what tolerance should I order?

David

Hi David,

i am using the 0,1% tol. TX-2575. Just send an email to Arbie Lopez with regards from me ;)

Cheers,
Oliver

I ended up using 29R value for the R I/V. Sounds better to me than the 39R I had before. Better dynamics and resolution, IMO. The value can vary depending on the DAC you are using however. I am using the Buffalo II DAC.

Greg

It takes a brave (or lazy) man to ask this question :) What do the I/V resistors actually do:confused:

Well I have ordered 26 & 32 ohms pot luck really

Last edited:
I finally got the transformer, ended up going the whole hog, has screened windings & a flux band, it is also built on a larger core to keep the TESLA value down, if only I knew why :)

Peter (the maker)said I wont be making another one that cheaply again :) Mind you $180.00 didn't seem cheap to me.

Attachments

• 12-07-27 Transformer0001.JPG
    12-07-27 Transformer0001.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 12-07-27 Transformer0001_1.JPG
    12-07-27 Transformer0001_1.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 312
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.