• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Tube-I-zator Professional PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oliver:

Probably not what you had in mind when you designed board.

As soon as my transformer arrives I will attach this to my Buffalo II.

Enjoy

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1430.jpeg
    IMG_1430.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 994
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oliver,

How do you adjust the output gain of TubeIzator?
My preamp is keep on giving a clipping signal even though I set the input level to (-12) minimum. I'm using the 12AX7 tube and the parts that is on your parts list with Buf II. Thanks.

Joe

Joe,

if you must adjust the gain level, please change the tubes.

The 12AX7 has a gain of 100.
You could change to the 6N6P (gain=22) with Rk= 250 Ohm for example.
For this you should reduce the B+ voltage to ~120V (adjust the two resistors in the anode supply).

Best,
Oliver

I have been tube rolling, 12ax7 sounded very good, and 6dj8, 12at7, 12au7, not as good. Maybe just because of the different tube brand, but they were all NOS.

And my shipment of 6n1p-ev, 6n2p-ev and 6n6p have arrived, 6n6p sounded the best with the V-out dac, I haven't switched back to the Buffalo yet.

My idle hands and racing mind do not make a good combination. :) I was going to sell my Marantz SA-15S1 player, but after getting the service manual, I decided to Lampizat it, and being a voltage out DAC (CS4398), I added a 1uf cap at the input and changed Ri/v to 250k. The result is much better than I expected, now I can listen to all my SACD's with this nice output module. I think my digital source system is complete (for a while at least) with:

1. Squeezebox to Buffalo II to Tube-I-Zator.
2. Marantz SA15 to Tube-I-Zator.

Thanks Oliver!

toufu

I may have missed it but are you using the Buffalo in current mode? Are you just using one of the phases?

I posted my pix of the 6SN7/6H8C setup I put together. It takes both phases (+ and - ) and inputs SE. It sounds great. Right now I am switching between this set-up and my Lundahl 1674 transformers. the transformers also sound very good and make for a nice compact system.

Best

At least the recommended transformer:

R-Core Transformer / ebay seller: diy-goods

R26-90: 0-150V, 0-9V X2​

I finally received this transformer. There is one problem though. The 150V reads close to 200v (198). Is it possible to adjust for this (to high) voltage with resistors and if so what resistor values/watt do I need and where do I place them at the board.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

[QUOTE=flocchini;
I posted my pix of the 6SN7/6H8C setup I put together. It takes both phases (+ and - ) and inputs SE. It sounds great. Right now I am switching between this set-up and my Lundahl 1674 transformers. the transformers also sound very good and make for a nice compact system.

Hi Bob,

If you have to pick one which is the better on all of what you've tried so far?

Thanks,

Joe

flocchini; I posted my pix of the 6SN7/6H8C setup I put together. It takes both phases (+ and - ) and inputs SE. It sounds great. Right now I am switching between this set-up and my Lundahl 1674 transformers. the transformers also sound very good and make for a nice compact system. Hi Bob said:
Joe:

I am using the 6SN7 set-up. Right now it appears a bit fuller with more punch

Enjoy

Bob

that should have read outputs SE

The pix of the 6SN7 is in post 102 (this thread).

I have a bunch of 6SN7 tubes so it was a logical choice. It does use the V+ and V- outs of the Buffalo and gives an SE output. I used Oliver's board for the power supplies and the ground plane and as a base for the Amphenol 8 pin tube "test bench". Hard-wired the circuit to that.

I recently replaced the PIO output caps with Mundorf Silver/Oil and a .1μF Russian Teflon. I think this gave the sound more body and punch.

Best

Bob

You could also rise the value of the two 1K resistors in the anode supply
directly.

:cheers:

Thanks. If 27,5k + 1k gives me around 210v then I guess I need a resistor around 33k in this position to get a voltage between 180-200v?

Do you think this way of doing it will be preferable sound vice compared to adding two resistors in the anode line?

Sorry for the noob questions but I'm new to this hobby.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks. If 27,5k + 1k gives me around 210v then I guess I need a resistor around 33k in this position to get a voltage between 180-200v?

Do you think this way of doing it will be preferable sound vice compared to adding two resistors in the anode line?

Sorry for the noob questions but I'm new to this hobby.

If prefer one resistor buy you could also do it with two in series.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.