Tube-I-zator Professional PCB - Page 74 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 04:37 PM   #731
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvb-projekt View Post
Good idea! Ive added the information to post #1.

Oliver
Thanks!
Old 24th January 2013, 07:37 AM   #732
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

I was hoping somebody might be able to confirm I have the wiring right.

Do I need to connect the central ground point to the case or even to the AC earth point?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-01-24 DQ DAC 2 Control Setup-4 part.jpg (229.3 KB, 363 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 13-01-24 DQ DAC 2 Control Setup 4l.pdf (496.1 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by DQ828; 24th January 2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 24th January 2013, 01:03 PM   #733
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
I was hoping somebody might be able to confirm I have the wiring right.

Do I need to connect the central ground point to the case or even to the AC earth point?
Everything perfect! I would connect the central GND to your star GND point of the case.

Oliver
Old 20th February 2013, 07:52 PM   #734
Crom is offline Crom  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Oliver has kindly sold me a couple of the tube-i-zator boards and I've got them working individually just using a single ended output from the dac (basically, for L and R channels connecting the negative line of the balanced output to the gnd and then using negative/ground and positive to connect to the Tube-i-zator input. This sounds great!

Then I tried to connect the one dac board to the two tube-i-zator boards. My idea was that each board would do one channel. On one board, the positive part of the balanced output from the DAC would be connected to the input marked left and the negative part of the balanced circuit would be connected to the right input. The other tube-i-zator board would be used for the other channel.

I wasn't entirely blown away by the sounds quality so I thought I must have connected things up incorrectly. I saw Headrott's dual mono set up here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?119264-Fully-balanced-Buffalo-II-DAC-with-Tube-I-zator-tube-output.

It looks like he's taking the different sides of the balanced outputs from different tube-i-zator boards - in other words he's splitting the L and R +/- across the two boards. I'm sure it's not going to do any harm but I'm not sure why. Can anyone explain why? And also tell me if I'm doing it wrong ;-)

My second problem is that I'm having difficulty matching the gain across the two tube-i-zator boards - even when using a matched quad of valves. The mismatch isn't huge but noticeable. I'm wondering whether this might be why Headrott wired it up as he had.

Any help would be most appreciated. I want to stop fiddling (at least for a bit) and listen to some music ;-)))
Old 26th February 2013, 03:57 PM   #735
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Oliver has kindly sold me a couple of the tube-i-zator boards and I've got them working individually just using a single ended output from the dac (basically, for L and R channels connecting the negative line of the balanced output to the gnd and then using negative/ground and positive to connect to the Tube-i-zator input. This sounds great!

Then I tried to connect the one dac board to the two tube-i-zator boards. My idea was that each board would do one channel. On one board, the positive part of the balanced output from the DAC would be connected to the input marked left and the negative part of the balanced circuit would be connected to the right input. The other tube-i-zator board would be used for the other channel.

I wasn't entirely blown away by the sounds quality so I thought I must have connected things up incorrectly. I saw Headrott's dual mono set up here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?119264-Fully-balanced-Buffalo-II-DAC-with-Tube-I-zator-tube-output.

It looks like he's taking the different sides of the balanced outputs from different tube-i-zator boards - in other words he's splitting the L and R +/- across the two boards. I'm sure it's not going to do any harm but I'm not sure why. Can anyone explain why? And also tell me if I'm doing it wrong ;-)

My second problem is that I'm having difficulty matching the gain across the two tube-i-zator boards - even when using a matched quad of valves. The mismatch isn't huge but noticeable. I'm wondering whether this might be why Headrott wired it up as he had.

Any help would be most appreciated. I want to stop fiddling (at least for a bit) and listen to some music ;-)))
Hi,

you could see the balanced connection scheme attached for one channel.

If you are using a matched quad of tubes, identical B+ voltages and 1% tol. (or better) Rk and R i/v resistors, there should be no gain differences!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tube-I-zator balanced connection.jpg (321.9 KB, 210 views)
Old 6th March 2013, 08:36 AM   #736
diyAudio Member

I cant believe it's taken this long to get this far

Anyway I have the tubes glowing as you will see, but I have a couple of questions.

When I adjust the output voltage from the SSHV to 150V as advised the input voltage is 160V, I read somewhere that there was suppose to be a larger difference between the two. The A/C coming from the 150V secondary is actually 154V.

On the SSHV the heat sink closes to the input/output is too hot to touch where the other heat sink is just warm, is this normal?

And lastly is it normal for the heater elements to glow brightly for about a second when you first turn it on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-03-06 DQ DAC 201.JPG (761.2 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 13-03-02 SSHV.JPG (267.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 13-03-06 DQ DAC 201_1.jpg (428.5 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by DQ828; 6th March 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 6th March 2013, 09:12 AM   #737
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
I cant believe it's taken this long to get this far

Anyway I have the tubes glowing as you will see, but I have a couple of questions.

When I adjust the output voltage from the SSHV to 150V as advised the input voltage is 160V, I read somewhere that there was suppose to be a larger difference between the two. The A/C coming from the 150V secondary is actually 154V.

On the SSHV the heat sink closes to the input/output is too hot to touch where the other heat sink is just warm, is this normal?

And lastly is it normal for the heater elements to glow brightly for about a second when you first turn it on?
What is your DC after the rectifier and without the SSHV in place?
Old 6th March 2013, 09:44 AM   #738
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What is your DC after the rectifier and without the SSHV in place?
That was fast, 228V
Old 6th March 2013, 11:57 AM   #739
diyAudio Member

Did you have a wire (the yellow one) joining tb1 and tb2 like here?
Otherwise only one tube gets the B+!

Click the image to open in full size.

I had miss this on your picture here...

Old 6th March 2013, 07:54 PM   #740
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Did you have a wire (the yellow one) joining tb1 and tb2 like here?
Otherwise only one tube gets the B+!

I had miss this on your picture here...

No I seem to have forgotten the yellow wire
I will make changes tonight & report back.

any thoughts on the other questions

Hide this!Advertise here!