Tube-I-zator Professional PCB - Page 71 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2012, 02:39 PM   #701
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
Ok maybe I dont need instructions but I do have a couple of questions;

1) In photo 1 below there is a WHITE line linking 2 points beside the switch, am I just suppose to link these 2 points with a bit of wire?
Yes, this is for a jumper

2) In the BOM the R I/V resistors are 56 ohm, but I read in the thread somewhere that the Twisted Pear people would recommend 32 ohms, is that correct?
If you're using an ESS9018 DAC from TP I suggest you test from 20R - 32R. I personnaly use 32R.

3) In photo 2, because I am using the Salsa Shunt regulator board I have left out one of the caps & the associated 1K resistor, is that correct?
You mean Salas SSHV... Which version? SSHV2 or the one Oliver sells with the Tube-I-Zator?

4) I am a bit unsure (no idea really ) how to connect the Salsa Shunt board to the output stage, I'm pretty sure I connect to the TB1 TB2 points but definitely need some help here.
If you're using the SSHV shunt based on Salas but sold by Oliver, see picture for connection. I'm now using SSHV2 but it connects a bit differently since it is using current sense.
If you're using a single SSHV per Tube-I-Zator, Jumper accross TB1 and TB2 (see orange jumper. Do not add jumpers on those white lines). Black cable is the negative or gnd, brown cable is your rectified DC supply for SSHV and blue cable is the B+ out from your SSHV.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks
Do
Old 15th June 2012, 01:53 AM   #702
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
If you're using a single SSHV per Tube-I-Zator, Jumper accross TB1 and TB2 (see orange jumper. Do not add jumpers on those white lines). Black cable is the negative or gnd, brown cable is your rectified DC supply for SSHV and blue cable is the B+ out from your SSHV.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks
Do
Thanks, I an using SSHV V1.1, I will follow your instructions and post a pic before I connect it to the power. I had forgotten to buy the transformer so will be waiting a couple of weeks for it to arrive I also need to order some valves/tubes I thought I'd just take pot luck & buy a matched pair of full Music from ebay.

Many thanks

David
Old 15th June 2012, 06:34 AM   #703
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks, I an using SSHV V1.1, I will follow your instructions and post a pic before I connect it to the power. I had forgotten to buy the transformer so will be waiting a couple of weeks for it to arrive I also need to order some valves/tubes I thought I'd just take pot luck & buy a matched pair of full Music from ebay.

Many thanks

David
Hi David,

What Transformer are you ordering?

Also, might I suggest some tubes for you? Although I have not heard the Full Music 12AX7's, I have tried a large number of 6DJ8, 12AU7, 12AX7 and varients of these tubes. So far after switching many tubes I find the best tubes to use are a combination of one RCA black long plate 12AX7 and one Valvo Hamburg long plate 45 degree halo getter tube combined with one tube in each tube socket. The combination is very very good. Although using a black plate Sylvania, RCA or GE 5751 tube in place of the RCA long black plate might be even better. I am going to give this a try and I will report back. I would suggest using a NOS tube rather than a newer production tube. That is just my opinion however of course. Hope this helps you out in some way.

Greg
Old 15th June 2012, 09:28 AM   #704
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrott View Post
Hi David,

Also, might I suggest some tubes for you? Although I have not heard the Full Music 12AX7's, I have tried a large number of 6DJ8, 12AU7, 12AX7 and varients of these tubes. So far after switching many tubes I find the best tubes to use are a combination of one RCA black long plate 12AX7 and one Valvo Hamburg long plate 45 degree halo getter tube combined with one tube in each tube socket. The combination is very very good. Although using a black plate Sylvania, RCA or GE 5751 tube in place of the RCA long black plate might be even better. I am going to give this a try and I will report back. I would suggest using a NOS tube rather than a newer production tube. That is just my opinion however of course. Hope this helps you out in some way.

Greg
When it comes to the tranny, I rang the local (semi local) transformer builder (Harbuch Electronics) who is very helpful but a bit technical for me, on his request I sent him an email showing him what I am building & the voltages I require, he then sent my email off to a valve amp designer he knows for advice on the most appropriate configuration, my guess is they will come up with something I cant afford .

Where would you recommend I buy the valves from? Oops, tubes i mean
Old 15th June 2012, 09:32 AM   #705
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When it comes to the tranny, I rang the local (semi local) transformer builder (Harbuch Electronics) who is very helpful but a bit technical for me, on his request I sent him an email showing him what I am building & the voltages I require, he then sent my email off to a valve amp designer he knows for advice on the most appropriate configuration, my guess is they will come up with something I cant afford .

I have bought from ebay, BUT you need to be careful who you buy from. Not all tested tubes are equal. I would buy from a reputable tube seller only. There is also places like Brent Jesse, Tubeworld.com, etc. but these are much more expensive. However, you will get tested high quality tubes.

Let us know what happens......
Old 15th June 2012, 03:01 PM   #706
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrott View Post
Hi David,

Greg
Hi Greg,

This is odd to mix tubes in sockets... Each tube is a different channel, left and right. So you would basically have different tone/sound on left and right? Unless you're running balanced which would run - phase and + phase it would maybe blend...

Do
Old 15th June 2012, 03:05 PM   #707
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:

You can buy one from Antek USA

Antek - Transformers - Grid View[]=0

This is dual secondary 150Vac 0.33A with dual secondary 6.3Vac 3A total of 100VA and has static shield. Always depends of which tube you use but it should be ok for many.

Antek - AS-1T150

Thanks
Do
Old 15th June 2012, 10:52 PM   #708
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Greg,

This is odd to mix tubes in sockets... Each tube is a different channel, left and right. So you would basically have different tone/sound on left and right? Unless you're running balanced which would run - phase and + phase it would maybe blend...

Do
Yes I am running a balanced setup. And that is a very important point, thank you for bringing it up.

That said, the tube combination is very good (RCA long black plates and Valvo 45 degree halo getter long plate tubes).

If people are looking for a warmer, smoother sound with very "rich" midrange tone, go for the RCA black plates. If people are looking for a more balanced transparent tone, go for the Valvo tubes. I never remember that most people aren't running a balnced rig so than kyou for bringing it up.

Greg
Old 16th June 2012, 11:58 AM   #709
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can buy one from Antek USA

Antek - Transformers - Grid View[]=0

This is dual secondary 150Vac 0.33A with dual secondary 6.3Vac 3A total of 100VA and has static shield. Always depends of which tube you use but it should be ok for many.

Antek - AS-1T150

Thanks
Do
Given I am only building 1 output stage (not dual Mono) I assume I only need 1 x 150V secondary?

I thought the other secondary had to be 9V ?

The price looks good.

At this stage I think I'll stick with a pair of Full Music & see how I go
Old 19th June 2012, 08:34 AM   #710
diyAudio Member

pinnocchio

I thought the second secondary had to be 9v?

Hide this!Advertise here!