Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2010, 05:32 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Oliver:

They are indeed Russian PIO. 2μF 250V.They sound pretty good to me.
I'm thinking about bypassing with a .1μF Teflon. I'll keep you posted.

I also will be experimenting with the second board I purchased to see if I can duplicate the 6sN7 balanced input setup Lukaz developed for the Buffalo. Essentially I will be using the PS and the ground plane with a Amphenol 8 pin tube socket.

Best

Bob
Old 8th April 2010, 06:34 AM   #92
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to dvb projekt
I am looking forward to your experiences
Old 8th April 2010, 02:52 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Default Voltage

Oliver:

I forgot to mention that my RCore transformer was putting out 270V so I put some 33K resistors in the anode line. Gives 210V to the 6H2P. Is this OK or should I drop the voltage more.

In general I have found that the RCore transformers run a bit higher than stated.

Best

Bob
Old 8th April 2010, 03:38 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Bob:

I myself run the tubes with a B+ between 180-200V. You could try to go to that window but i dont think it is critical.

Oliver
Old 8th April 2010, 05:06 PM   #95
toufu is offline toufu  United States
diyAudio Member

My idle hands and racing mind do not make a good combination. I was going to sell my Marantz SA-15S1 player, but after getting the service manual, I decided to Lampizat it, and being a voltage out DAC (CS4398), I added a 1uf cap at the input and changed Ri/v to 250k. The result is much better than I expected, now I can listen to all my SACD's with this nice output module. I think my digital source system is complete (for a while at least) with:

1. Squeezebox to Buffalo II to Tube-I-Zator.
2. Marantz SA15 to Tube-I-Zator.

Thanks Oliver!
Old 8th April 2010, 05:14 PM   #96
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toufu View Post
My idle hands and racing mind do not make a good combination. I was going to sell my Marantz SA-15S1 player, but after getting the service manual, I decided to Lampizat it, and being a voltage out DAC (CS4398), I added a 1uf cap at the input and changed Ri/v to 250k. The result is much better than I expected, now I can listen to all my SACD's with this nice output module. I think my digital source system is complete (for a while at least) with:

1. Squeezebox to Buffalo II to Tube-I-Zator.
2. Marantz SA15 to Tube-I-Zator.

Thanks Oliver!
Great to hear such a success

Perhaps you could post some nice photos of the two tweaks.
BTW, what do you think about the Buffalo II ?

Cheers,
Oliver

Last edited by dvb projekt; 8th April 2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added question
Old 8th April 2010, 07:49 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvb-projekt View Post
Great to hear such a success

Perhaps you could post some nice photos of the two tweaks.
BTW, what do you think about the Buffalo II ?

Cheers,
Oliver

Yes, i will repeat Oliver's question - what do you think about the Buffalo II, comparison between:
1. Squeezebox-> Buffalo II+Tube-I-Zator.
2. Marantz SA15+Tube-I-Zator.
???

Thanks,
Mantas
Old 8th April 2010, 08:59 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

I will post pictures when I get home, but just to let you know I have been listening to the Buffalo II for over a week now, and I have only listened to the Marantz last night.

I like the Buffalo a lot and thought it sounded better than any digital system I have listened to at home (Marantz SA15, Monarchy NM24 DAC, Buffalo 32, Sony 777ES and others not worth mentioning). It had a lot of weight and body and texture, good layered, 3D effect (not as good as vinyl, but what is?), very detailed and nice bass. The only thing I didn't like was that there was a little bit of high frequency veil that's in most digital systems, but it's not nearly as bad as the others, that I didn't get listening fatigue. So I was pretty happy with the whole thing.

The only reason I wanted to modify my Marantz was that I have around 100 SACD's I would like to listen to. The Marantz service manual made it very easy to find a spot to steal the DAC output. I was very very suprised by it's sound. Right away, the sound was more emotional than the Buffalo, and all the details that I heard from the Buffalo was mostly there. The one thing that I really suprised about was that the veil was lifted, the sound is much more analoge. But then again, that's just with about 2 hours of listening.

And since I only built 1 TubeIZator board, I can't A/B yet. But I will be listening more and update my progress.
Old 9th April 2010, 04:54 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Thanks Toufu!

What is the other components of your stereo system: preamp, amp, speakers, cables? Is your Squeezebox (duet?) modded? Have tryed Buffalo II with IVY III?

Regards,
Mantas
Old 9th April 2010, 05:15 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

I am using Monarchy NM24 DAC as a preamp. As I understand it, it's an SRPP circuit with 6922 tubes. My amp is PA150, I built F3, F5 and A30, ASP250 and Gainclone, but I like this the most. My speakers are Zu Druids MK4, and I don't believe in cables, so I use Radio Shack cables. I didn't try the IVY III because I bought the Buffalo 32 with integrated IVY and it didn't sound as good as my NM24 so I didn't want to bother with it again. And I am using an unmodded squeezebox duet.

Here are some pictures of TubeIZator used for Vout, the Marantz signal tapping and part of my system. I really love this hobby!

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by toufu; 9th April 2010 at 05:18 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!