• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Leach Amp pcb group buy interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To all,
I originally started this thread to gauge interest in another group buy of the Leach/Jens 10 transistor amp, of which several hundred were ordered, however, it seems that Jens has a new layout similar to the original with the output section in the middle and a few other refinements.
One member suggested a 12 output section pcb with a snap off if you wish to use less output devices.

If Jens is able to provide us with this latest creation then the group buy will proceed with the newest version. Just wish to clear this up. In any case these are superbly designed pcb's with proven, in actual use, features. I will order the boards with the heavy fiberglass and 2 oz. copper tractk. They will be green with white solder mask as in the past.

I believe that PA is going to open up a wiki for this project --PA?? Then we can see how it progresses. The best prices start to develop when we reach 100+ boards. Once the final design is in I will get a quote and post here.

Tad

Jens,
I will personally leave the pcb design up to you. I like the 12 output idea and the breadoff section. With 2 extra outputs the overall dimensions only change about 22 centimeters. In breakoff I guess you mean something you will have to take some care to cut or can the traces snap with the fiberglass? I plan to leave mine with all 12.
It seems quite a bit of interest has found it's way to this group buy at such an early stage.

PA. Thanks for the Wiki.

Tad

c21 and c27 10,000uF 100 volts??? (only because I have just replaced out of leach 6 and have spares)

As an asside small matter would we be able to get all chassis / heat sink wholes issolated this time please. I found it quite a hassle to deal with last time! So only ground earthing would be done through speaker terminal to star earth and isolated out post???

Just some thoughts. I will leave it up to you experts.

Ian

c21 and c27 10,000uF 100 volts??? (only because I have just replaced out of leach 6 and have spares)

As an asside small matter would we be able to get all chassis / heat sink wholes issolated this time please. I found it quite a hassle to deal with last time! So only ground earthing would be done through speaker terminal to star earth and isolated out post???

Ian

Holes are isolated.

10.000µF 100V are big... how about going for 2 x 2 x XXµF 100V?? Maybe the board can be made somewhat shorted this way....

\\\Jens

Jens,
What size area do you have to work with. The short stubby Panasonics are a good cap and have some decent choices in output. I would like to keep the area reasonably compact so as not to get in the way of chassis placement. The caps you chose for the amps on your old website were a good size.

Tad

Quote:

Holes are isolated.

10.000µF 100V are big... how about going for 2 x 2 x XXµF 100V?? Maybe the board can be made somewhat shorted this way....

\\\Jens

Thanks Jens. I ended up replacing the 10,000uF with 4700uF for space / chassis reasons. So 4700uF seems to be a nice compromise. Is there any reason that they have to be on the board at all?

Ian

Still like the idea for 2 x 3 output boards.

I haven't checked the lead spacing, but it appears that 4 sets of thermaltrak devices may fit on this board (leave out the middle pair of each section), and then hardwire the diode leads.

Jens, did you ever build a prototype using those devices? I've been thinking about trying it, but haven't taken the plunge yet. I may be in for an extra set of boards just to give it a try.

With 6 output pairs this amp should easily bias into class A, for at least the first 60+ watts, given the heatsink is large enough.
Barrodboss here on DIY Audio has some nice large heatsinks, for a really good price, that with a little extra chassis work should provide good cooling for this layout. You can do a search here and on EBAY for his sinks. He had them extruded using input provided by the members and they have nice tall, approx. 2.250 inch fins.

Jens, The final PDF layout looks very nice. Will you have any gerber files ready for prototyping anytime soon. I can not wait to put one of these together. I have some of your regulator boards Bob was selling which should do nicely on the frontend section.

Tad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.