• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

HV Shunt Regulator 2009 GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Since it seems there still interest in this project, I'm starting a small 2009 GB. Please send me a private email if you're interested. I'll need a minimum of 30 PCB to make it work (PCB minimum order quantity).

See the original project thread at: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129881

The 2SK369 FET could be difficult to source, but the 2SK170 is an equivalent. Also WALTER BURKHARD member sent me an email that he may be able to provide some of these to me. I would be happy to include it with each PCB if I can get enough. I'll charge you only my own cost.

As for the PCB price, I'll ask for a quote this week, and let you know. Last PCB run was about 27.50$ and I asked 30$ each + 3% PayPal fee and actual shipping cost. Thsi is for a quantity of 30 + 200$ setup charge that I being charge for such a small PCB run. Bigger quantity would result in better cost, but it is a specialized item, and I just got a small interest for it, so... So this year price should be around that.

The PCB is very high quality, FR4 material, double sided, with silkscreen and soldermask, gold immersion finish

If you're interested, send me a private email with your diyaudio username, real name and shipping address and PCB quantity. Also please confirm that you can pay using PayPal.

Last edited:
Last GB was source of a little controversy. This is not my own design, (I did only my own version of the original PCB), but I got it from the net and at the time was not able to contact the original designer. With help from some forum member, I was able to get in touch with the designer, that he confirmed that I could use his design for DIYer use only.
This is what I'm doing with this GB.

Also, the Vacuum State company sell a HV shunt regulator kit commercially. He expressed his concern about this PCB not being a complete kit and that his was simpler to build and had a better after sale support. In all fairness, I mention to you that you can get his complete kit instead of a bare PCB, that need effort to make it work (get the parts, assembly, testing, understatnding, etc...) But in my mind this part of the DIYer experience anyway. Go to his site at: www.vacuumstate.com and search for the SuperReg kit and have a look. It may be better suited to your needs.

Take note that I have no interests in Vacuum State products, website or business. Just to make sure I start this GB on good ground.

Have fun.

Last edited:
For the record, this project was built by me (3 PCB) and by a friend that live close by (2 PCB) and it is working perfectly as is, using the recommended parts list and specified part numbers. The project includes a complete documentation that was hosted kindly on Bas Horneman website, you can have a look at http://basenjes.de/tubes/data/sb/Shu...h_SB Notes.pdf

This is not a beginner project and you need to know what you're doing to adjust it. This is not your easy to build and use 78XX regulator. Following the notes marked on the included schematic and documentation procedure is easy enough but need some care in doing it. Also you need to respect the design limitations (Vout Min, Vin requirements, Power Dissipation limit, etc...) Read the documentation in detail before ordering it, to make sure it does what you need.

Lets see if we have enough interest to make it work ;)

Last edited:
What are the specs on the PCB (size, 1 or 2 sides,...) there are several suppliers who will build quantity one with no set-up charge. I think they use some process like ink jet printing so there is no mask involved. You just send in the Gerber files. These places make it cheap enough to have just a couple PCBs made.

PCB Info: PCB Dimensions: 3.40" x 5.0"
Specs: FR4 material, double sided, with silkscreen and soldermask, gold immersion finish

Just got a confirmation for the price. It is unchanged since last year, 26.75$ each, quantity of 30, plus taxes and shipping charges to me. So I'm still asking 30$ each. Price drop by 4$ if we reach qty: 50. The only way to get the price really lower would be to order a very big quantity, for example 200 of these. But it will never happen. There is just not enough interest for this project for such a large quantity.

This is not the cheaper PCB, without options. It got all of them including the gold immersion. I didn't try to go for the cheapest, but the best quality. Buyers of the previous GB were very please with it. Also the silkscreen is a big plus for the less experienced guys. It helps a lot during the assembly and testing. I know my stuff. It is not the first group buy that I do, and at the end the best product, with no chance for errors, is always the best alternative. A Recall of parts, late fix, refund, etc, are no fun and take a lot of work. I just remember the problem we had with the TT Motor controller project and the machined custom pulley problem. That was an experience I would like not to repeat, believe me.

I'm not changing supplier since the one I have got me the PCB right and of professional quality. I don't have the time to search for other alternative, or try an other supplier that could get it wrong, etc... I don't trust Ink Jet process. This PCB has some very fine traces, and need very fine process resolution.

Sorry but my time is in very short supply, and I try to get this GB this year to help the many members that sent me email since the last one.

Cheaper alternative is always to make your own PCB, but it takes time and investment in tools and chemical. I know I got all the stuff myself. This is what I did for the first prototype. The documentation available is what I used to make my own. You can always do so as well. Believe me you can easily spend 20$ just doing it by yourself, and you won't get the same quality as this one. I would not charge lower than 25$ myself if I had to do it manually for just a few pieces. It is a lot of work.

Update:
Kjay 6PCB
Kenev 2PCB
JimT 2PCB
Relder 2PCB
Audiohifi 2PCB
Total: 14

I still miss information (name, address, email, etc) from Kenev, JimT, Relder and Audiohifi. Please send them to me so I can complete your file. I cannot accept order if I don't know how to get in touch with you and were to send the PCB. Thanlks...

Quantity going up rapidly :cool:

Please read the documentation included with last year thread, see beginning of this thread. My own version of the PCB was designed for the more easy to find OPA656, not the 655 that need the pins 7 and 5. These pins are not connected on my own PCB. The 656 is what is recommended in my parts list.

The OPA656 is available for example from www.mouser.com, so there is no need to find a substitute ;)

The PCB accepts DIL8 and SOIC-8 surface mount packages, so no problem there as well.

UPDATE:
Kjay 6PCB
Kenev 2PCB
JimT 2PCB
Relder 2PCB
Audiohifi 2PCB
Difoul 6 PCB
Danfrank 4 PCB
hearinspace 2 PCB
leadfinger 2 PCB

Total: 28 <-- ONLY 2 PCB left, unless I goes for the higher quantity of 50

From the original thread, here a view of this 656 op-amp - U1 PCB section. You can see that both DIP8 and SIOC-8 are supported on the same layout.

Attachments

• u1_pcb%20detail.jpg
    u1_pcb%20detail.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 604
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.