• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
You asked for bigger pads, and updated labels. Well, everything you want, YOU GOT IT!.:spin:

Attachments

• Final PCB.gif
    Final PCB.gif
    65 KB · Views: 384
  • FinalMez.gif
    FinalMez.gif
    50 KB · Views: 374
Customs charges are an issue.
In the UK the importer has to pay the carrier a handling charge of ~£8 no matter what value the item is, if the item/s are declared as >£18.00.

The declared value must not include packaging nor must it include local taxes nor must it include transport costs nor must it include postage costs.

The declared value is the net worth of the item ex factory.

The advantage of declaring it as gift is that into the UK the exemption limit is increased to ~£36 before it is assessed for Import Taxes and Value Added Tax and Handling Charge.

as an example I had to pay taxes on a couple of capacitors that had a value of ~£15 + post and packing of ~£5 but it was declared as $40.
The VAT = £2.18, the Import Tax=£0.00, the handling Charge was ~£8. Then they added Vat onto the handling charge. The total bill of ~£32 for an item that should be declared as <£15 since that already included postage and packing from the factory to the private seller.

I will put a stop to the warm and fuzzies for now.

I am getting too many requests from international buyers that this be marked as a gift.

You are asking me to commit a crime, and this isn't going to happen. Not for something I don't want to make a dime on.

So if you want a refund, that is fine, but no more requests for shipments as gifts.

I realize other GB or pcb sellers may do this, but with 100 or so shipments, not so for me

I have never liked the fact that sometimes I have to pay money to someone (Post Office etc) to collect whatever VAT/Tax is due - however I always accept that if I am buying goods outside the EU then this is a possibilty.

I think it is unfair to ask you to lie so that someone else can save money.

Keep up the good work and do not let the bu**ers grind you down.

Regards

Alan;);)

I have never liked the fact that sometimes I have to pay money to someone (Post Office etc) to collect whatever VAT/Tax is due - however I always accept that if I am buying goods outside the EU then this is a possibilty.

I think it is unfair to ask you to lie so that someone else can save money.

Alan;);)

I understand what AndrewT is saying to some extent. it's about paying all the other stuff they add on that makes it insane.

Here in Canada, I think the limit is $25. if it's over, they charge tax + $5. the tax for me would be $3.75 on $25 assuming there's no special tariff on circuit boards - don't remember where they're made. i don't mind paying the tax at all - countries have a right to collect taxes but the extra $5 is essentially another 20% tax (since my order was just about 25 w/o shipping). yeah, 5 bux is not much but it adds up with every parts order. forget ups or fedex brokerage fees... so the bottom line in my case is i'd be close enough to the limit that they won't charge me if shipping is not included in the declared price, but they might charge me if the shipping is included, thus costing $8.75 on a $25 order. so in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal and Tea-Bag is busy enough and has enough lines on the spreadsheet to make it difficult overall. but... if it's possible (and i think it's legal) then i'd be happy if shipping were not included in the declared value :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looks great Salas!
Now we can solder and desolder until we find our favorite mix of resistors and caps :)

Better keep a spare PCB if you want to do that for real. So you gradually wear out and make ugly a test one, and in the end transfer your favorites or most likely build fresh on the spare. Even in point to point, such tests are hard both on the assembly and the components themselves.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Normally one doesn't include the shipping charge as part of the declared value. The declared value is important if the item gets lost in the mail. It does happen. Then the sender can claim the value of the item, at least that's the case here in Canada. Just my 2c.

Oh, salas, big pads :up:

Custom Duty and Taxes

While I respect Tea Bag's decision, I would like to explain what happens in Italy.
If I receive a small parcel or envelope from extra UE Countries as "gift" or "samples of no commercial value" with a small declared value (let's say 10$), the postman bring it at home with no further delay.
While, if the value is much higher and/or the dimensions of the parcel are important, the Customs "intercept" the dispatch. At that point, after few days, they send to the addressee a request for copy of the invoice (translated) and a form where he must state the nature of goods, amount paid, etc, etc. Then you must reply by letter etc, etc. After some time, finally the postman rings your bell asking for the money.
All this procedure takes time: up to 3 weeks delay.
I don't care the duty (from 4.9 to 9.25% depending of the nature of goods) and VAT (20%), but what drive me crazy is the 2 or 3 weeks delay for somenthing that is normally delivered in 1 week only.
By the way, duties are calculated over the value at the Italian border, that means shipping cost included and over the sum of value + duty, you pay VAT. (taxes over taxes, crazy!)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rsotirov, your all set.
The current GB spreadsheet reflects accurately who have paid.
I will send out another one tommorow, if possible, with who has NOT paid. That may be more helpful.

Guys, I understand your concerns with delays and taxes, I pay Uncle Sam enough to buy a decent new car every year, then my state and my town take me to the cleaners. That's probably all needed so we can buy ton's of imports from China I guess.

I will talk to my post-service lady, and see what I can do to devalue the boards since this is a non-profit operation. A significant charge for the boards (40 percent) is shipping from manufacterer. There is also a fee I have included as a donation to DiyAudio that I may be able to not include as well. I've kept the board charge I think decently low. Other than that, I dont really need to hear more feedback. It's all a pain, I get that. Taxes and delays I think are just normal in a global economy, and yes I know US citizens have an advantage here most of the time.
Keep in my mind, this my first job as GB manager, doing what I can, trying to get the boards to you guys that Ferds cannot.
If you think I did a crap job after the fact, let me know. I will not do it again if there is sufficient dissapointment.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
ra7,

They are both the same, except that mesmerize has 6 inputs with selectable input. Hypnotice is a single input unit.

Ben

Hypnotize can slot in a preamp box with mechanical input switch, fitted pot, routed signal cable to several RCA's etc and be a fully featured mini size buffer, it can also be repeated many times for some HT application, since its small and many channels can be fitted in a normal size box. Also say a Behringer DCX multi channel volume / buffer balanced box for a 3 way speaker system, whatever.

With Mezmerize's switched 6 relay input system, you can basically have a fully functional buffer/preamp at about $100-150 electronics cost, including a clever pot choice.