• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

tinitus said:
I hate to say, but this begins to look messy:xeye:

Please, we need to find a way to get control of this

Yes, please. I did not want to derail the fine work going on here, but somewhere after Post #142 when we said we were good to go something happened and now we have relays and powersupplies for relays, etc. This is all well and good, but I still vote for what we originally started out with and would like that to happen, here or in another GB.
It looks to be an informal 3 people so far with this thought.

billyk said:

Yes, please. I did not want to derail the fine work going on here, but somewhere after Post #142 when we said we were good to go something happened and now we have relays and powersupplies for relays, etc. This is all well and good, but I still vote for what we originally started out with and would like that to happen, here or in another GB.
It looks to be an informal 3 people so far with this thought.

How about make it 4 :)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Are we going for the original single sided board, or the one in post 153?
Either way is fine with me

The version with double bridge is nice, though I would still suggest to make common ground after supply caps, because of ground connections to other active parts, but just a minor detail

A more advanced full blown board should be done in a new GB, and Im with that one too, when it happens
Maybe with LDR attenuator:D

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Please forget about the double bridge and read the posts why it is not OK to use 2. This was explained at least twice.

OK, if anyone wants something different things will start to look messy as the requests won't stop and they 'll all be different or even contradictionary. Nevertheless the board got better and better so till now things only have moved forward.

What is the project ? A design of the PCB for a symmetrical version of B1 as designed by Salas based on Pass labs B1 enhanced with a shunt power supply. It is NOT a stand alone power supply for other purposes but it can be used that way. If you want so you are on your own. This thread is about a buffer with its own power supply.

Who is in control of decisions ? IMO the designer is leading. To avoid further confusion some of us will have to make decisions and the designer must be willing to carry out the work. It seems xaudiox wants to do the full job for us which leaves the question who decides what the design will be. Voting is OK but it will take time. If the design should cater for anyones wishes we won't ever see it finished I guess. Democracy has disadvantages too.

The advantage of a full fledged PCB ( or separated into 1 PCB with the supply and 1 with the buffer as proposed by xaudiox ) is that you can simply omit what you don't need. So it will be enough for all whereas a simple version will need extra circuitry which means more work for those that wanted a full version. A simple version needs extra PCB's and wiring for standard functionality so why not go for a complete design ? Board space is not that expensive anyway. Just my 2 cents.

So let's make a decision. Who wants a complete solution where the extra's simply can be omitted and who does not ? As you can see I am positive about a full solution but I would agree with the simple version if the majority would like that.

The advantage of a full fledged PCB ( or separated into 1 PCB with the supply and 1 with the buffer as proposed by xaudiox ) is that you can simply omit what you don't need. So it will be enough for all whereas a simple version will need extra circuitry which means more work for those that wanted a full version. A simple version needs extra PCB's and wiring for standard functionality so why not go for a complete design ? Board space is not that expensive anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Do you mean the pcb in 3 parts?One with the PSU one with the buffer and one with the relays?Would that be possible?
So all is satisfied..maybe the price doesn´t have to much higher.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No, 1 PCB with only the power supply and the supply for the muting circuit and 1 PCB with the buffer, input relays, muting relay, source selector and volume pads.

3 separate PCB's will look like hardwiring again. I do not see a valid point in that as people who want separate stuff already have their solutions for source selection etc.

Wiring should be kept at a minimum for optimal performance and ease of building.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
jean-paul said:
Please forget about the double bridge and read the posts why it is not OK to use 2. This was explained at least twice.

So let's make a decision. Who wants a complete solution where the extra's simply can be omitted and who does not ?

About double bridge
I did suggest several times that the split ground lines should be joined at the supply caps, and there will no issues at all

Anyway, I thought it was concluded that this advanced version needs to be real time tested first
How can we decide if we dont know if it works properly
Obviously expencive boards needs to be ordered to do the testing
The cost of these would be added to the BG

But who will do the testing, and get free boards?

Im still in for whatever is decided
I just hope someone is able to say whats need to be said
Seems debate about it is going on ok

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ryssen said:

That way I (and others)cant use just the buffer.

No, you can omit what you don't need and place jumper wires or use other pads. Why can't you use the buffer ?

I can tell we are going the wrong direction the way we discuss things like we do now. We should be very glad that xaudiox uses his skills to make some fine design and then discuss what we want. The design in post 141 is ready enough for the simple version isn't it ?

So that one is finished and can be made. Let's wait for the final design and then discuss further.

tinitus said:

How can we decide if we dont know if it works properly
Obviously expensive boards needs to be ordered to do the testing
The cost of these would be added to the BG

But who will do the testing, and get free boards?

Nobody forces anyone to join a group buy but this is a hobby project at marginal costs so do not expect factory standard gear. It is DIY. Besides that when people use different components (like in real life) results can be different so no guarantees.

If you agree I can do testing as I already have a large stock in components etc.

tinitus said:

I will lower my voice and agree with what you've just said.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Maybe just do all :)

Make a buffer board with no relays
Another similar buffer board, but with with relays
And the supply board

Ordered seperately it would cost too much

But all done on one single breakable board might cost much less
Two options for the cost of one :D

Is that possible?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ryssen said:

Thats what I ment..;)

:cheerful:

I remember you did mention something about it, not very clearly though

I guess we were not ready for that option, at that time

Seems now its time to do it :)

Those companies making boards, do they have an option for cheap prototype boards, if they are promissed a "bigger" order ?
Or something with recalculated cost when final order is done?

If proto boards needs to be ordered I would gladly pay a part of it, say 40-50USD
And the amount could be on my account when GB is effectuated