• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Curt, We are ready to make a move.
I am just tring to 'burn in' the Prototype over the weekend, and hook it up to an amp and the amp to lowthers to make sure it's noiseless. No noise on Fostex so far, or Sen. HD-600 headphones.

The pricing will be more than double the original GB. It uses more copper, plated through holes, and is a larger unit.

I assume next week will start accepting payments and will keep the buy open for at least 2 weeks, preferably 4. I am also considering a GB for signal resistors if that's of interest again. The Takeman's were very hard to procure, so I dont think that will happen again, unless I move to 1/2 watt resistors, which will cost more.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Proto Update.

The proto has been running all day, hooked up to heatsinks, running into an amp running into lowthers, no noise. offset very stable, V+/- stable. :D Will let it run overnight and make sure no other problems, but at this stage, it would be my workmanship I am ironing out.:p

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Official Kickoff for GB of DCB1 "Blue Edition"

The following is cross posted on my blog

So I am going to write some details down about the DCB1 Blue Edition Buffer. This is the best I can tell, the third or fourth iteration of this buffer/Power supply. The GB will certainly represent the third run of the buffer.

Salas added some tweaks to the design which CRT implemented. I will be offering these boards for sale.

Here are some things that make it different,
It's a larger board.
More room for filter caps.
They can handle 10mm pitch snap-in capacitors 25mm width capacitors.

There are positions for smaller MUR120 type diodes or MUR820 style TO-220 style diodes.

The vRef LEDS can now be bypassed with a 25mm Film cap or a 100uf electrolytic.

The CCS resistor is now about a 28mm pitch, and can easily handle most 5 watt wirewound type of resistors.

2oz copper is used in board, the holes are through hole plated.

There is a 3 pin connector at end of power supply section for easy hookup if the device is used as a stand alone shunt supply.

___
Here are some specifics on the board in the pictures. It is a prototype without a top soldermask. The production units will have a more traditional looking blue soldermask with white legend.My board is complemented with the following notable parts. I went a bit over the top. Wishing I had sprung for the super-through Nichicon's.

• Nichicon Fine Gold 4700uf capacitors
  • IXYS DSEI8-06A diodes
  • 470R takman carbon film gate resistors for IRF's.
  • Mills 10R MRA-5 resistors for CCS.
  • Wima MKP-10 .22uf vRef bypass

B1 signal resistors
  • 220R Texas Instruments TX2575 foil resistors
  • 220K Caddock TF-020 Film resistor
  • 1M Caddock MK-132

Users sound implementations will vary.
Compared to my standard DCB1,
The sounstage is is very tight. The clarity is up a notch as well. When I get spooked by the soundstage, I consider that a good thing.

I hooked these up to DX4 lowthers and there is no noise from the setup.

The price of the board is 15.00 each. Shipping is 6.00 each for up to 4 units. 5-8 units 8.00 and above 8 units, please send me a private message. The payment info address is on the sign up sheet. The group buy ends at 23:59 EST on July 17th. Boards will start shipping likely two weeks later.

Last edited: