• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Silonex LDRs for Lightspeed Attenuator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BlueGTI
Nice pics and looks like it was a lot of fun. If any of you guys have an opportunity or inclination you should put together an audio get together. I have done this several times and the first two times it was just me and two other guys. A blast every time though. SO much fun.
Regi, so whats up with the buffer in your system :) ?
Just got a DAC. AudioGD REF5. May I say OMG!!! The thing is incredible. If you are into DACs try out something from AudioGD. The cost is near nothing compared to what he put into it and the build quality is second to none. The sound is frankly such a huge upgrade to my system that I am completely surprised that BrianGT chippies could sound anything like this. Blown away. Hey, if you guys thought LDRs kicked a$$ you need to pair them with one of these. Holy smokes. Want a review of it? I dont have the fingertips to type it all or the audio vocab to wow you with but check out this Audio-gd Reference 5 ~ A PCM1704UK-based DAC with DSP ravenda's blog
Also, we all know CTRL+Z is undo but did you know CTRL+Y is redo? Just figured that out after to many Z's on this post.
Uriah

Wow, I envy you for that DAC :D In fact, I am in the process of planning a Buffalo II, but with my current setup I am not in a hurry, so I am saving some money and waiting for the new XMOS usb receiver to come.
But my next preamp will come before the DAC; As I told you, it may be almost for sure a Lighter Note, but I am still in the process of designing it and compiling ideas. That is, I have the idea of paring it with a remote volume control, to control the 100k pot that regulates the ldr. THAT would be a killer passive preamp. I am thinking in one of those remote volume control on ebay from chinese sellers. They say to carry Alps, but I don't trust them, an Alps alone cost the same that all that bunch of boards, components, motorized pot... But anyway, signal path is not traveling there so not a concern.

I still have to finish my F5! work in progress, but so many hours at real work left only a bit for these projects :(

Regi,
First, that remote will work with the Lightspeed but Lighter Note needs 1k pot :( so no remote, but I am working on that. Prototype by Christmas.
Second, if you go to AudioGD website and look at the NFB type DACs they all use the ES9018 DAC and the power supply is all classA. Actually there are, depending on which DAC, from 7 to 21 separate regulated supplies. With the cash you would spend on the buffalo you might do real well with one of the AGD NFB DACs. They are said to beat the buffalo but I have not heard the comparison. The build quality is astounding though.
Uriah

matching shunt coupler's

I got a lightspeed board & 4 optocouplers from udailey... built the thing...tested it..installed it... all is well, and it sounds real good. The instructions say to match the shunt couplers @ say 100R for the pot.. I can do that, but if I then turn the pot to a higher value(say 1K), i lose my match. I can then twiddle the trimpot and match them again, but if i now go back to the same 100R, i've lost the previous match. this game can go on and on and on...:confused:

Does this matter? Sound wise it makes very little difference, i think. Another way of asking the question is: how closely should we expect to match the shunt couplers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.