Canadian GB for Goldwood GW-1858? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Canadian GB for Goldwood GW-1858?

Hi

I've been e-mailing with Bob Reimer (CSS/XBL on diyAudio) of CSS. He could supply the Goldwood GW-1858 for about $80-$85 Canadian, plus shipping, depending on number ordered. This may be enough to make me get off my butt and build the Jordan-Goldwood open baffle.

Is anyone else interested in some of these drivers? If there's enough interest, I'll set up a group buy. Shipping would be direct from CSS, so it would just be a matter of coordinating it and passing on the funds - not too onerous for me to handle at the moment. So - post here if you're interested, and if there's a reasonable response I'll try to figure out the Wiki process.

Regards.

Aengus
Old 27th April 2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Aengus,

If it helps, I am less than an hour's drive from Bob and I have a truck. No, I don't need any more drivers right now thanks.
Old 27th April 2009, 11:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Bob's is on my way to Dave's for audiofest if you do a small order not requiring a truck
Old 28th April 2009, 12:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Cal, Geek

Thank you both. Let's wait and see if there is any interest in the GB.

Just to whet people's appetites, here's another iteration of the sonotube design for MJK's Jordan/Goldwood OB/H-frame (note that Martin's design was a sensible rectilinear one, and he is not responsible for shortcomings in this version).

Regards.

Aengus
Attached Images
File Type: gif jordan-goldwood 6.gif (28.2 KB, 627 views)
Old 28th April 2009, 03:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm interested.
Old 28th April 2009, 03:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Canadian GB for Goldwood GW-1858?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aengus
He could supply the Goldwood GW-1858 for about $80-$85 Canadian, plus shipping, depending on number ordered.
Aengus-
Thanks for the offer. Quarterbacking a GB can be a lot of work.

Is $80-85 Cdn a good price? The thread you linked from Oct 2008 seems to state the price at $60 (US?). ($60USD=$73 Cdn)
Just curious, as it will be a 'frosty Friday' when I shell out $2K for (Jordan or other) drivers anyway....I just read a bit farther in that other thread.
Cheers
John
Old 28th April 2009, 03:51 AM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That's a cool looking design, Aengus. I like it!

My buddy John was running 2 of the Gw-1858's per side with one of the buyout Vifa coax from P.E. Makes a heck of an OB rig for little money. Will be interesting to see what you do with your rig. Keep us poted.
Old 28th April 2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Canadian GB for Goldwood GW-1858?

Quote:
Originally posted by VictoriaGuy

Is $80-85 Cdn a good price?
Parts Express sells them for $84 USD each in quantities of 4 or more.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...TOKEN=48868246
Old 28th April 2009, 05:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

OK, in order:

Leadbelly, are you coming to VIdiyAudioFest this year? I'm thinking that if we can get together an order for 10 drivers, we can take advantage of Cal or Geek...um, I mean of Cal's or Geek's kind offer...and save a about $20 over PE's price and get free delivery.

John, I think the Jordan's are a bit cheaper than $2K ; but if you tell me it's so, I will sell you mine at half that price. Actually, I'm thinking of using the Goldwoods with the Fostex 108's I have lyiing about; and a good budget approach might be to use them with the FE103Es, following Martin King's approach in his article on designing a passive two-way OB. I figure that would work out to just over $100/side for drivers - add in xover parts and some plywood and it still should be pretty affordable. And, as I remarked above, free delivery to Victoria on the woofers.

Also, for anyone who doesn't already have the F-R driver to go with these, it would be worth checking out the CSS site - some pretty interesting drivers there. I'd be tempted myself if I didn't have to do something with the ones I own before I can justify buying more.

Pano, thanks for that. The design is a lot easier to draw than to build, but I'm mulling over some possible approaches - the sticking point is that large-diameter hole at an angle through the panel. I think the panel will have to be built in place over the tube itself, or a sacrificial bit of sonotube.

Cal, any idea what PE charges for shipping? I don't want to go all the way through the checkout process to get a shipping estimate to Canada.

That has to be one of the most annoying things that web-stores do; that, and making me "register" before I can get a price on anything. Aargh.

Anyway, thanks all for the interest - I'll keep this open for a bit and see how far we get.

Regards.

Aengus
Old 28th April 2009, 05:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aengus
Leadbelly, are you coming to VIdiyAudioFest this year? I'm thinking that if we can get together an order for 10 drivers, we can take advantage of Cal or Geek...um, I mean of Cal's or Geek's kind offer...and save a about $20 over PE's price and get free delivery.
Not sure yet. I want 2 or 3, which will probably push me into an extra charge to bring them home on an airplane, so no net savings. This may be the year to come by car and do some sightseeing on the island.

Hide this!Advertise here!