• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

F5 pcb group buy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes they do have versions with aluminium plates, but the angles and the screws are still most likely steel (magnetic).
Is that a bad thing? I thought that steel or magnetic conductors were bad for carrying signal, didn't even imagine that having these materials near will affect.

Anyone running F5 with DCB1 pre? Any issues with them both being dc coupled?
Yes I do, not issues at all with DCB1's protection relay. Neither turning first the preamp on nor the poweramp.
But I have output capacitors at my source.

Regards,
Regi

Is that a bad thing? I thought that steel or magnetic conductors were bad for carrying signal, didn't even imagine that having these materials near will affect.

Technically? No.

I remember Syn08 found for his ultralow distortion amps that steel made a measurable difference, but before you worry about steel in context with such amps, you need to get wiring/grounding right first. Really big topic for ultralow distortion amps.

No need to worry about that ;)

Quick possibly newb question, I found some 22,000uf 35V caps for my stereo F5 project... Is 35v sufficient? I see people going up to 65v and wasn't sure if that's just a product of what was available at the time or some other meaningful reason.

I know Nelson specs 18000uf 25v... I just want to verify that's OK for this PSU design as well... I don't see anything that would cause a change but I'm a rookie. :)

Technically? No.

I remember Syn08 found for his ultralow distortion amps that steel made a measurable difference, but before you worry about steel in context with such amps, you need to get wiring/grounding right first. Really big topic for ultralow distortion amps.

No need to worry about that ;)
Thanks, quite recomforting :cool:

Kilroy, you must choose capacitor rating to be AT LEAST higher than the applied voltage. So, for a 24v supply, 25v rating would be enough. They won't explode if you apply 26v or even 28, but that will shorten their life.
Personally, I would use 35v for a 24v supply. Going higher only increases size and cost.

Regards,
Regi

Thanks, quite recomforting :cool:

Kilroy, you must choose capacitor rating to be AT LEAST higher than the applied voltage. So, for a 24v supply, 25v rating would be enough. They won't explode if you apply 26v or even 28, but that will shorten their life.
Personally, I would use 35v for a 24v supply. Going higher only increases size and cost.

Regards,
Regi

Great, thanks!
That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some kind of magic I was missing.

-Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.