• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

F5 pcb group buy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
After a couple of email exchanges with Peter Daniels, he says he doesn't have them in stock; though no further info on when the new boards (if any) will be ready. Let's sit tight and wait patiently :D

Cheers~

Cviller just posted he has a few up for sale, I've only built with Peter's, but many I know have also used Cviller's boards. Similarly, Tech-DIY is supposed to be offering kits soon....Peter did tell me he still had plenty of power supply boards.

russellc

I am building a pair of F5 monoblocks. Each one with a transformer, a full diode bridge for each rail, and four 22.000uF caps with the 4x 0.1r 3w each full dual rail board.

Only one quick question: Is it ok if I put jumpers as in the way shown on the attached picture? These pads will be unused, so I am guessing that placing 3 of them could be better for making a dual supply PSU. I don't think it will make a ground loop.
Power will be taken to an F5 board from the marked outputs. These are your F5 boards. There is a wire from the F5 ground pad to the marked pad on the picture. The return of the speaker will go where marked in the picture.

Can anyone give it a quick look and check if it is alright?

FYI, it will carry all caddock MK132, and Mills for the power resistors. Capacitors are Mundorf MLytic SI, Schottky TO-247 rectifiers :rolleyes:

I don't think I will place the thermistor and the current limiter circuitry on the F5. I want that bunch of small Hi-Q resistors and pairs of caps sounding at their bests. Adding more stuff get close to double the amount of components in the circuit.

Thanks, regards

Regi

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 548
Yes, Andrew, they are connected on the underside.

Teabag, I understand that you are joining both rail's grounds between the two gnd pads under and above the marked v+/v- output pads? Then, in which pads are you soldering the ground from the F5 board and the return from the speaker?

I'll do the same drawing in the underside, it should be clearer for you guys.
Sorry for a minor mistake. I wrongly drawed the connections from the diode bridges on the previous post. Not important for the matter.

Attachments

• PSU.jpg
    PSU.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 474
Regi,
Don't tie the two in the middle, just one on left between v+ and v-. Attach speaker ground to it, board grounds to it, and signal ground to board or here. Then attach CL60 to it, and other side to Chassis and IEC ground. Shouldn't hum.
When you actually say "it", what are you referring to?

Can I use some pads for the task of connecting spk return, signal ground, earthing...?

Last edited:
I haven't yet found an elegant way to hook up grounds. Its a pity doing that way having so many holes on the PSU board.

On another matter, I've seen that the recommended transformers are around 250VA or 300VA ratings. I know these are recommended values for long term stability, lower heat, constant current class A consumption, bla bla bla...
But in practice, if my maths are right, one F5 channel would consume 1.3A times 36v (2x18vac voltage swing), which is around 47VA.
Now my question is not wether is it recommended a 47VA trafo (I know it isn't), but if one F5 channel just consumes 47VA.
Does one F5 channel needs just 47VA?

It has something to be with the inductance, or because of the lower resistance than a transformer coil use to have comparing it with a resistor?
it's mainly due to the heating effect in the primary and the secondary depending on I^2 rather than simply I.
The current pulses that charge up a capacitor input filter demand that the transformer be de-rated according to the manufacturer's data.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.