• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

F5 pcb group buy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, its working, I'm down to 5 Mv, I think I can 0 it out. I wouldnt have expected the circuit to work like that, but I turn one up and the other down, the Mv on the output goes down and the two resistors measurements are the same, but low. Now to bias it up. Thanks for the time to school me here, much appreciated. I can pay now if its getting to the end. Are the power supply boards still plentiful? I know they are not specifically for the F-5, so I assume you'll be kepping these around?

Thanks for info,

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Say can you guys give me an idea about what is "normal" in terms of drift in the offset and bias of the F-5? Mine's just breaking in and if I set it at .59 and 0 mv and let it play for a few hours and remeasure, it seems to go up to about 15mv-(at first 25 mv) and bias at .61. Heat sinks handle it well, can touch indefinitely. After a long listen last night, it again drifted up to 14-15 mv and .60-.61 offset. I reset to .59 and 0-1 mv and powered down. This morning I turned it back on, let it set for about an hour with no music, and had 5 mv off set and .58-.59 bias. Is this normal?

Thanks for the input,

Russellc

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I think the thermistors help National Semi's keep a little more stable with thermistors, but importantly allow it to bias up quickly.

With no thermistors, and IRF's or Toshibas, I see rock solid offset (no drifting). It does take longer to warm up, but I say doesn't make much difference in sound after 30 minutes.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I find that there is a big variance between summer and winter bias and offset levels without thermistors. Basically, once you set the bias without thermistors, the amp likes to remain at the same ambient conditions that you had when you set the bias.

Else the bias goes up when the ambient temps increase, and down in winter or monsoon seasons. Thermistors do keep this more stable and reduce the amount of fiddling one has to do to keep everything nice and happy, but what good is an amp if you don't have to open up the hood once in a while anyway? And in my case, it's pretty much unusable with the 35 degree + room temperatures of a tropical summer, so for me it's a winter amp only.

However, omitting the thermistors results in much more stable bias and offset over a short-term period - personally speaking. I checked over a period of about ten days and the bias did not move at all from where I set it, and the offset was <2mV on each channel. Picture changes when the seasons change though, but I prefer that to a shifting bias point that is almost impossible to pin down with the default configuration. I end up having to keep the amp on for an hour or so to get bias to the exact point I want it at, which is fine as it is playing music at the time :)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.