• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Custom open baffle 12" woofer - any interest?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Frustrated with a lack of good 12" open-baffle specification woofers in the UK I had to settle for some cheap Skytronic models with so-so specifications (Qts not high enough, Xmax not so impressive).

I have a friend in China who makes drivers and have begged him to consider producing an open baffle woofer, which he is considering. He'd be happy to sell to a group buy, if there's sufficient interest. I'm really just putting the feelers out.

All being well in terms of specs and price I'd like to buy four of these woofers for my own speakers that I'm currently working on.

I've suggested the following specs:

* 12" diameter
* Fs = ~25Hz
* Qts = ~1.0
* Qes = 1.0+
* Xmax = 5mm+
* SPL = 86dB
* low turbulence / noise at the rear

He reckons this should be possible and would entertain an order quantity lower than normal (normal being 100 units I think).

This could be a chance for those of us in the UK struggling to find that perfect open baffle woofer to buy what we really want at a very cheap price.

Let's have your thoughts.

Simon

Here's a simulation with those sort of specs. Any ideas on how it might be improved, if possible?

I think it's the trade-off between extension and efficiency that's most difficult to judge.

Simon

Attachments

• customwoofer.png
    customwoofer.png
    50 KB · Views: 174
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.