• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

BPA300 Round 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rhysh and others,
I have been rereading some of the Jeff Rowland Model 10 writeups -- which Alexw88 cloned this pcb from. They mention that the Model 10 used a switch mode power supply. To do justice to this clone are there any sites showing schematics of the original power supply. I have not been able to find this specific information. It might be more involved than it is worth but something to think about. The original sold for 6800.00 U.S. dollars.

Tad

Rhysh,
I would like to build the smpt just to have one. Count me in for a set. I should learn a few things from that project which might be useful in other endeavors.

What do you figure the advantage/disadvantage of this besides weight and physical size?

I see you have received the second board order. You plan on getting most of them out this week? How are things progressing with the solid state attenuator boards. I received my TI chips last week.

Tad

After further thoughts, this is not a good idea.

As mike says, SMPS supplies are usually very noisy, i dont think it is really worth it.

Instead, i have decided to create a regulated power supply for the BPA300. I have played around with regulation on the BPA300 in the past, and i think it sounds a lot better.

I plan to offer,

High current voltage regulation.
Onboard capacitance using lots of smaller caps.
Onboard rectifiers.

For the price it will cost to build, i think great results can be obtained.

I plan to offer, High current voltage regulation. On board capacitance using lots of smaller caps. On board rectifiers.

Hi Rhysh,

Would you consider incorporating the 'Powerreg' (link above) into this design? Its a very low noise regulator designed for high current applications such as chip amps. By all accounts these regs work superbly on chip amps and the designer says his LM3875/powerreg amp is the best he has heard.

A PCB including Rectifier, smoothing and Powerreg would be a real killer PSU. I know there would be a lot of interest over @ pinkfishmedia plus Teddy is happy to give technical advice.

Mike.

After looking into the PowerReg, it looks like it will be a real upgrade to the BPA300. I advise anyone who has not bought the PSU capacitors and rectifiers yet to hold on a few days to see if i can come up with somthing.

For the small price it will cost to include regulation, i think it will be definitely worth it.

Had a play around with this.. LM317 as a refrence.

Attachments

• testreg.jpg
    testreg.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 377
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.