• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

BPA300 Round 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new at this (picking quality components) can someone maybe put together a low teir ($100), middle tier($200), and a cost-no-object tier (within bounds ~$300-$400 for parts per monobloc). Is thier any guide on what to look for in parts? Quality brands, I have started to notice % tolerance, PSRR, and other trends that make up qulaity parts but I nheed a little more guidance... what parts are the most important or give the biggest gains in sound quality?

this is going to be my first amp build.

HaLo6 said:
I am new at this (picking quality components) can someone maybe put together a low teir ($100), middle tier($200), and a cost-no-object tier (within bounds ~$300-$400 for parts per monobloc). Is thier any guide on what to look for in parts? Quality brands, I have started to notice % tolerance, PSRR, and other trends that make up qulaity parts but I nheed a little more guidance... what parts are the most important or give the biggest gains in sound quality?

this is going to be my first amp build.

I am going to offering kits maybe, depending on intrest.

Attachments

• drv134live.jpg
    drv134live.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 454
You could also try and build a P1.7 by Nelson Pass as a balanced line driver. There are boards and BOM all over the net. This is supposed to be a very good balanced/unbalanced preamp driver and it is made with discrete components. Check Pass DIY or search this forum. They are very easy to build and have the added benefit of extra driver voltage for increased volume if needed.
I have nothing against opamps It is just that in the past they have created hum issues in my projects. Make sure all of your wires are twisted very tightly and you make a good star ground.
As I said before the BPA300 is an exceptional amp and has tremendous output.
I have to get my board order in before Rhysh runs out.
Tad

Rhysh,
On board the wiki for four pcb's. This will be my second BPA300 project. The first boards I got from Alex88 maybe a year and a half back. Thanks for running this GB. I have run two for the Leach amp and am quite aware of all the hard work.
One question I would like to ask concerning oscillation. There was a rather extensive thread sometime back about one BPA300 constuctor who had to remove the 39pf cap for oscillation reasons. Are there any little tweaks which could be implemented to help with oscillation issues.
I also recommend keeping the voltage on the rails to 30 volts or less. I learned this the hard way. There is a lot of heat in a 300 watt amp to be dissipated in only 6 small transistors. Alex makes some comments about heat on his website.

Tad

A 500VA can power upto 500W but will work better with <=320W of maximum output.

25Vac allows 8ohm speakers to be used. This in a BPA200 drives ~120W into 8ohms.
A 300BPA will drive the same load to the same maximum power but have an extra reserve of +50% current ability. This reserve can only help, due to the severely restricted output current of the 3886, particularly when it gets hot.

Re: INTEGRATED BPA300 AMPLIFER

juluska said:
What about an integrated BPA300 amplifier with passive preamplifier in the same chassis.
The chassis can be this:
http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat079_l2.php?n=1

No No No No No No No ;)

The BPA300 is a power amp, seriously use a seperate enclosure from hifi2000 for your pre. Also, you want a gain stage before the BPA300 to really push it.

Re: Re: INTEGRATED BPA300 AMPLIFER

rhysh said:
you want a gain stage before the BPA300 to really push it.
No.

The chipamps are reportedly better if the gain is around 26dB to 30dB.
A BPA has a gain that is twice (+6dB) of the single chipamp.
32 to 36dB of gain in a power amp is a lot, do not add any more.

Or look at it from the sensitivity for full power.
500mVac to 700mVac will give full power into either a single chipamp or into a BPA set.

Re: Re: Re: INTEGRATED BPA300 AMPLIFER

AndrewT said:
No.

The chipamps are reportedly better if the gain is around 26dB to 30dB.
A BPA has a gain that is twice (+6dB) of the single chipamp.
32 to 36dB of gain in a power amp is a lot, do not add any more.

Or look at it from the sensitivity for full power.
500mVac to 700mVac will give full power into either a single chipamp or into a BPA set.

Sorry, i was thinking about driving the balanced line driver itself, not the actuall chipamp. I have found by using a bit more gain before the DRV134 i have came out with better results. Also i have found the DRV134 works better with a low input impedance, which would require the use of some kind of simple buffer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.