• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

US Plitron Mini GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Possible 240V to 2x18V Plitron

noveltone said:
Hey guys,

In case anyone came too late to this thread to get in on the group buy but still wants a Plitron, check this out. I was looking through the Surplus section of Plitron's website and noticed the following, for 240V users:

Custom Power Transformer

234V primary (1 pair of wires only)
2 x 18 V secondaries (2 pair wires)
300VA rating

Get this: $46 CDN plus shipping.

So, if unlike me you can use 240V primary, check this link out:

http://www.plitron.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=652

I think they only have one, but I didn't look too far into it. I have no affiliation with Plitron, of course.

Best,
Collin

I think surplus transformers are still subject to Plitron's $250 minimum purchase, so I'm not sure this helps the average DIYer much.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Custom Magnetics

Tea-Bag said:
I recieved a qoute from custom magnetics.
I have no experience with them, but they seem to be the only people in the USA with R-Core experience.

I am not inclined to order these considering the price.
the reality is, you could buy two Plitrons or several Antek's for the prototype price, and we may not want to order these in quantity given they may measure and sound aweful.
I was hoping for a inexpensive proto price to test.:D

Hello Mike,

Thank you very much for the opportunity to quote on a dual 500VA transformer in R-core or in a toroidal package. We have reviewed your preliminary specifications and it looks the toroidal package is comparatively cheaper than R-core. We can build in either package. We are pleased to present you with following budgetary quote:

Part # Quantity Unit Price with Toroid Unit Price with R-core

TBD 2 Pieces Samples $150.00 $190.00
25 Pieces $90.00 $110.00
50 Pieces $80.00 $95.00

We can provide you samples for qualification in 6 weeks ARO. Our start up production lead-time is 12 weeks ARO, FOB Chicago, IL and terms are net 30 days with approved credit.

Am update on the prototype from Custom Magnetics.

The proto units I have ordered will look like the following. Any recommendations, let me know. I spec'd as 350va to keep the size more managable.

I will get two of these, if someone wants to play with one when I get one to listen, let me know.

If they are decent, I may see if there is interest in a group order.

Mike

Attachments

• rcore350va.pdf
    41.2 KB · Views: 94
orthoefer said:
Just an update for those who've participated in my contribution to this mini group buy. Plitron shipped out the transformers yesterday. Tomorrow, I should be able to give a more definite timeline for deliveries. Things are moving more quickly than expected.

I expect the transformers to arrive at my house 2/3/09. Give me a day or two repackage and post all of them out, except following samloko's specific instructions for his.

The Plitron transformers arrived at my house this evening. Now I have to go through the logistics of repackaging, labeling, and shipping. I plan to ship via USPS when able. I know I need to get some USPS flat rate boxes, but this will take a couple days. Check your email over the next few days for details.

that was fast,
I ordered a SumR transformer to compare to the Plitron. It is potted with epoxy and has a shielding as well. It is a 1kv for another project but I should be able to gauge how quite they are. Richard from SumR was very gracious and is willing to sell to individual DIYers .

Bill

wirewiggler said:
that was fast,
I ordered a SumR transformer to compare to the Plitron. It is potted with epoxy and has a shielding as well. It is a 1kv for another project but I should be able to gauge how quite they are. Richard from SumR was very gracious and is willing to sell to individual DIYers .

Bill

I exchanged a couple of emails with Richard after I had comitted to this group buy. Maybe next time I will try one of his transformers.

I'm glad someone is doing a comparison. Though I'd really like to see a comparison with Plitron vs Antek because of the price difference.

My F4s have Antecs in them, They have a slight hum when the refrigerator or ceiling fan is turned on. I am curious if the plitrons will as well. Its not realy a bother but will give me some comparison. I just scrounged a power conditioner made for computers, I believe it has an isolation transformer and some additional filtering I thought I may see if it cleans up my AC.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
wirewiggler said:
Mine came in today as well, I was surprised thought the mail man was on holiday. Thanks for putting this together, now I just need some heat sinks.

Bill

Bill,
I have some extra heatsinks.
Posted here for PICS, and listed in trade area.

http://picasaweb.google.com/notcopperonly/SpareHeatsinks#

They are not perfect for fitting L-Channel or fets dead center, but they don't run too :hot: with F5 at normal Bias.

The Plitrons are about 1/3 less size or so then the Anteks, FWIW.
Will be able to be tidier than Antek's or R-Core in chassis.

Mike T(ea-bag)

Arrived

Hey Carl,

My transformer came in the other day. I'd like to add my thanks both for putting this together so quickly, and also for packing the items so well. Yes expensive indeed, but they arrived in great shape. A true gentleman. I hope to use it soon, but there is a lot of other stuff in the way. Pretty satisfyingly heavy, though, as a paperweight for now.

Collin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.