Designer casing - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Gabster is offline Gabster  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Designer casing

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time DIY audio enthusiast and I ended up doing electronic and industrial design professionally after completing my Master's in electrical engineering. My company has been running for more than a year now and one of my first designs (professionally speaking) is the ďLeachĒ amplifier pictured in attachment.

When the project arrived on my desk, most of the electronic design was done. My mandate was to deliver a custom design to package the amplifier so it would look as sharp as a commercial product. So I did but the casing design never end up in a commercial product so I kept the IP. Now I want to offer this casing design to the DIY audio community.

If there is sufficient interest (say 10+ units), Iím willing to put together a group buy for the parts that compose this casing. The overall dimensions of the casing would need to be standardized but all the artwork on the front and back plates as well as the holes pattern on the back plate could be customized for every single order.

ABOUT THE DESIGN: The front plate is a thick glass piece with a laser-etched metallic paint back. A backlight lights up the laser-etched artwork. The cover is a thick smoked glass with chamfered edges that exposes the inside while giving a finished look. Side note: This leach amp design runs cool enough to have minimalist heat exhaust holes. It will be the end-userís job to ensure the cover is adapted to let heat out according to the given design inside. I have many ideas to adapt the glass cover to designs that produce more heat and Iíll be more than happy to share these ideas later on. The back plate is a thick acrylic mirror piece with laser-etched artwork and laser-cut holes. The frame is a flat-black painted assembly of sheet metal and oak wood.

This is it. Iíll be more than happy to answer questions as interest builds up. I already hear the first question: how much will this cost? This will obviously be driven by volume but right now Iím thinking about the following pricing structure: US$500 per unit for the lowest volume (10 units) down to US$350 per unit if the group buy hits the 50 units mark.

Cheers,

Gabriel Mťnard, M.Eng.

CEO designGAME, inc.
Head designer SiLEEK, inc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leachampbysileek.jpg (78.1 KB, 650 views)
Old 8th January 2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Hacker is offline Hacker  United States
diyAudio Member

$350 - $500 for a case?!?!? No wonder there are no takers! What we need in DIY audio are good-looking yet affordable cases. I'd buy 5 of those right off the bat.
Old 8th January 2009, 01:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hacker
$350 - $500 for a case?!?!? No wonder there are no takers! What we need in DIY audio are good-looking yet affordable cases. I'd buy 5 of those right off the bat.
Interesting. I just posted in this thread that I would start a new thread to show people how to build their own cases. These can be very professional looking and affordable. So far, zero interest. Check the link for more info.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...56#post1704456
Old 8th January 2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Hacker is offline Hacker  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes please! That would be great. I've also just contacted Context Engineering (http://www.contextengineering.com/gallery.html) for a quote, too. I'd be very interested in how yours turns out, especially if there are pictures to go along with it.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 8th January 2009, 11:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

There are a couple of pictures further back in the thread I gave the link for.

Hide this!Advertise here!