• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Gb: F5 Pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bobodioulasso said:

Sorry for incorrect words.
Instead of "logical" read: logic
instead of "charging" read: loading.

I agree with the logic, but....

I removed one of the boards and tried it in another working amp's PS and it gives the same result.

I built a backup board last night and will test it tonight. If it works then I can troubleshoot the failed boards but I am not sure how best to do that.

Thanks for your help! I really miss the amp.

I cannot understand what happened simultaneously to your both channels!
Anyway:
You can serial connect a 110v bulb between mains and the amp, that will allow you some live measurements without burnig components...( do not connect any speaker.)
If no result:
Checking the boards shouldn't be too difficult as they are so simple.
First, have a carefull look at them in case you could notice something wrong. Something burnt, bad soldering...?
If no result, unsolder the the transistors and check them.
If you have new transistors, it may be faster to replace all of them an make a trial with serial bulb connected. (current limiters transistors are facultative)...
What else to check?
some resistors two trimpots, that's all.

specialidiot said:
1. Are R35 and LED1 required? If so, what LED works well, or should I use any Radio Shack item?

2. Also, the BOM I used specifies R21 and R22 as 22k, but the BOM I used specifies 10k. Any worries there?

1. No, but it is nice to be able to see when the amp is on. ;)
You can use anything you have in stock, resistor value is also not critical.

2. This has been discussed many times, but the thing is papa recommends using 22k, but he didn't update his schematics.

cviller said:

2. This has been discussed many times, but the thing is papa recommends using 22k, but he didn't update his schematics.

I understand that things here have been discussed many times. the PDF on your wiki explains a few things, but not questions like this one.

There are now 30 pages in this thread. There isn't a way that I found where I can search within the thread and find the info that I'm looking for.

The other night I was looking for the BOM I ordered from and it took me 30 minutes to find it. and I knew what I was looking for.

I've been looking for the proper way to wire up the two rectifiers. Seems to me that I should connect the minus term of the rectifier going to the positive side of the PCB to the plus terminal of the other rectifier, but I find no information on that. I don't doubt that it is there - but the search function of this site is not usable.

I've searched the thread and the site for 90 minutes, so please don't scold me for this question.

If there is an easier way to search for information, I'd like to know.

specialidiot said:

I've been looking for the proper way to wire up the two rectifiers. Seems to me that I should connect the minus term of the rectifier going to the positive side of the PCB to the plus terminal of the other rectifier, but I find no information on that.

On the schematic (last page of the PDF file ) the minus side of the rectifier is not labeled. I guess you have to assume the negative output is on the opposite side of the bridge of the positive. So you are right. The negative of one and the positive of the other connect together at ground.

http://www.firstwatt.com/downloads/F5-om_sm-080527.pdf

speakrsrfun said:
Question Cviller are the F5 PSU boards still available? I need two if they are still available, please let me know as the Wiki states there are no more left, but your E-commerce site says they are available. Please inform, Peace.

Speaks

They are available again - forgot to update the wiki - will do. ;)

specialidiot said:

I understand that things here have been discussed many times. the PDF on your wiki explains a few things, but not questions like this one.

There are now 30 pages in this thread. There isn't a way that I found where I can search within the thread and find the info that I'm looking for.

The other night I was looking for the BOM I ordered from and it took me 30 minutes to find it. and I knew what I was looking for.

I've been looking for the proper way to wire up the two rectifiers. Seems to me that I should connect the minus term of the rectifier going to the positive side of the PCB to the plus terminal of the other rectifier, but I find no information on that. I don't doubt that it is there - but the search function of this site is not usable.

I've searched the thread and the site for 90 minutes, so please don't scold me for this question.

If there is an easier way to search for information, I'd like to know.

Perhaps I should have placed a ;) somewhere in my reply. I understand people don't want to read all those pages of non-sense just to find their answers. This is also why I wrote the small guide:
http://viller.eu/audio/2009jan_gbf5/gbf5_guide.pdf

Regarding the wiring, you might get a few ideas from this picture:
http://viller.eu/audio/2009jan_gbf5/P1070474_wiring1.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.