Gb: F5 Pcb - Page 52 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2009, 06:34 AM   #511
folkeb is offline folkeb  Norway
diyAudio Member

Got the boards - look great! Thanks!

- Folke
Old 29th January 2009, 01:24 PM   #512
jnh is offline jnh  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default boards arrived - thanks

Thankyou - the boards arrived today. I look forward to putting it together
Old 29th January 2009, 04:52 PM   #513
steenoe is offline steenoe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Just a note If you have fairly ineffecient speakers, like say 88-90dB, you will need a preamp with some gain to drive them to full output! A preamp linestage with 20dB gain should be sufficient for most setups...

Old 30th January 2009, 08:23 PM   #514
vrun is offline vrun  Germany
diyAudio Member

Christian,

Thanks for delivery at the speed of light...

I'd barely left home monday for a week of business when your boards arrived.
You "made my weekend" - into a nice soldering & tinkering, staying inside one that is

Hopefully this F5 (I am going to call it "blue" as hommage to your nice boards) will stay with me longer than the first one I p2p'd
... that one is still "on loan" with a friend

BTW: I will disassemble my Aleph-J for the new F5, use it's PS.
Anybody else agree with me that the F5 is indeed superior ???
Old 30th January 2009, 09:48 PM   #515
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vrun

BTW: I will disassemble my Aleph-J for the new F5, use it's PS.
Anybody else agree with me that the F5 is indeed superior ???

depends of 2 things - speakers .......... and taste which must be pleased with them

Old 1st February 2009, 01:53 PM   #516
diyAudio Member

Christian,

the boards arrived - they look beautiful, also does the layout. Great job!

Thank You and Nelson very much for Your support of the diy community.

Regards
Ralphono
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:46 PM   #517
diyAudio Member

Default sources for transformer, heat sinks, enclosure

Hello everybody!

My boards came in last week (thanks!) and I've ordered the components from Mouser and Digikey. I should be stuffing and soldering by the end of the week.

I've tried to read through all of the posts, but I'm not able to locate a definitive source for the transformer and heat sinks.

Also, some guidance on what and where to purchase the pieces for the enclosure would be appreciated.

Thanks to any and all who can provide this information. A donation will be made to the site in honor of being able to obtain these items.
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:57 PM   #518
cviller is offline cviller  Denmark
diyAudio Member

The transformer should be 2x 18V and with a rating of at least 300VA for at stereo amp. But you have to be aware that these ratings can be conservative or optimistic - just like amp watt ratings. Go for a good brand or a reliable source.

Regarding the heatsinks you have to have a lot of heat sink. The rating is "increased temperature in Celsius" per watt, so you'll need 0.5 or lower per channel in order to burn the ~50W without raising the temperature too much. Have a look at this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...99#post1731799

In my opinion this is very close to the optimal enclosure/heatsink you can make. You can buy similar readymade - in europe we have www.hifi2000.it, but I guess you can find something in the states as well.
Old 2nd February 2009, 05:16 PM   #519
tms0425 is offline tms0425  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cviller
The transformer should be 2x 18V and with a rating of at least 300VA for at stereo amp. But you have to be aware that these ratings can be conservative or optimistic - just like amp watt ratings. Go for a good brand or a reliable source.

Regarding the heatsinks you have to have a lot of heat sink. The rating is "increased temperature in Celsius" per watt, so you'll need 0.5 or lower per channel in order to burn the ~50W without raising the temperature too much. Have a look at this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...99#post1731799

In my opinion this is very close to the optimal enclosure/heatsink you can make. You can buy similar readymade - in europe we have www.hifi2000.it, but I guess you can find something in the states as well.
I used Conrad MF35-151.5 heatsinks and they worked very well. The transformer is an Antek AN-4218 (400VA 18-0-18) from www.antekinc.com for $37 plus $10 shipping. My "enclosure" is just a 12 x 5.75" 1/8" sheet of 5051 aluminum for the back, 12" x 13 3/4" for the bottom and top, which is perforated steel. I used 4 pieces of 1/2 x 3/4" aluminum bar stock attached to the heatshinks to attach top, back, bottom, and faceplate which is 16x6" 0.25" 5051 aluminum plate attached some 4" pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 angle stock. The back attaches to those bars with 4 screws. I finished all of it with hand files, 3 grades of Scotchbrite pads, and a bit of elbow grease. All that cost me less than $50 at the local store, cut to my dimensions (less heatsinks). The hardest part is all of the tapping(!!!), not my forte for sure. I only broke one this time out of impatience.
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:01 PM   #520
diyAudio Member

thanks for the replies. I have ordered the Antek toroid from the linked web site, it was painless and I already have the tracking number.

This enclosure looks pricey, but it should work. I guess the cost might not be too bad since it includes the heat sinks.
http://diyenclosures.com/products/chassis/diy1013HS/

Hide this!Advertise here!