• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

my_ref revC group buy (Mauro Penasa LM3886 design)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

About 4-5 weeks ago, I was feeling very happy with the performance of my MyRef and decided to transfer everything, including the Lightspeed, out of the cardboard box and into the Italian cabinet. This meant drilling holes in the cabinet sidewalls which would then act as cooling fins for the LM3886's.

Unfortunantely, I did some sloppy deburring and shorted out both LM3886's on start-up! R11's (1ohm) both burned out as well.

I have just received replacement parts but before starting up again does anybody have any advice on other components that may have been damaged and that I should test??

Many thanks.

Tony X

Tony,
My guess is that about everything is fine as long as it doesnt look fried, but use your multimeter and test all resistors. That batch of 4 resistors up on the top left of the board near the input though will never measure right so dont get excited if they are not what they should be. The caps will all be fine. Check to make sure your diodes do not conduct in both directions.
I would suggest that if anyone needs to buy LM3886 again that they get the TF package. Just safer.
Not a lot of help but just wanted to let you know that you are probably just fine. But you should test every resistor and diode that you can. I am sure TroySTG will say so if there is something specific you should check or be worried about.
Uriah

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.