• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

HV Shunt Regulator PCB

I hope you have all the components wired like in the schematic -polarities, pins etc. Assuming you have all wired correctly, you must follow the instructions, step by step. Have you received the instructions when you bought the pcb? If not, I'll provide it to you with the detailed schematic with voltages all around that you must have for checking. I have used 2SK170 BL instead the 2SK369 and I put a trimmer of 2k instead of the R10 - 1K6 just to be sure that I'll have 10.3V DC at the output of the LT1085. I have used also the OPA655P (they said for this one there is no replacement). No other changes and everything was right, the 7.00V DC below R11 and around R1 - 1.2V, Ishunt stable around 20 mA after the stabilization time.
Do you have 15V DC (at least) before the LT1085?
Do you have at least 20V DC more the raw DC at the input than the output regulated voltage which must be more than 235V (minimum)? I have noticed that when the raw DC is only few volts above the V Reg. ( 5-7 V DC) the I shunt will go to zero so...maybe this is where you must check first...Just an idea. Good luck!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I have been using the original superregs for some of my devices since 2001.
The late Allen Wright did suggest me to replace the 317 regulator by a resistor. ( i must have the info about that modification on a fax paper somewhere)
I have been using a choke input in my tube line amp and my tube power amps for at a decade.
Choke input with a Tango 20H choke designed for choke input. 5T4 tube rectifier, 20H tango, 8mF siemens MKV, 7H choke from a surplus store then a 22 Mf black gate cap going into the superreg. Output cap on the reg also 22 mF BG.
Because i did modify my dac with choke input using Lundahl choke wired in common mode i said i wanna try that with my line amp too.
So now 5T4 41! H ll2743 choke, 8 MF mkv, 20H tango, 22 mF BG, 500mH Hammond and then 22 mF BG. I had to replace the 7H because i had to reduce the voltage drop in the whole of the filter. Tango was 210 ohm but Lundahl is 2*200 ohm and especially in choke input position there is an extra voltage drop. The hammond is only 30 ohm compared to the 150 ohm of the 7H.
right now using 300-0-300 transformer could switch to another transformer giving 350-0-350 but that could be to much .
I did use a big resistor to simulate the load of the superreg because deconnecting the line amp takes a lot of time.
But right now it sounds like never before so i guess the minimum input voltage is still there.
Allen did always tell go for the biggest choke you can find and use it choke input.
Somehow the bigger choke gives the idea like listening to your set in the night time while it is actually daytime so i guess less garbage is coming through.
Greetings, Eduard

You are welcome! Glad for you but...what was wrong? I'm curious. The raw voltage too low or...?

I didn't notice that there is a minimum input and output voltage :D
I have them now both working with a LF351 and with a OPA656u.
Numbers: 250V raw voltage; Vreg 235V; Ishunt 150 mA; Load 10070 Ohm (= 23,3 mA)
I am happy :)
-----------------------------------------

Eduard: You are talking about a different design !

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I know i am talking about a different design but i think there are some similarities.
I did hear about people having problems with their superregs probably because they did try to improve it and ended up with one that did go down all the time.
I have 3 in use since 1998 and none of them did break down. The only modification i did do was suggested by Allen himself in 2001 ( replacing the 317 with a resistor)
I think mine still uses lf351 but Allen told me ad797 would be better. I checked my stock maybe the line amp uses ad797 but power amp still uses lf351.
Allens design needs a bigger difference between in and output voltage. If i remember well between 50 and 100 volts. Mine right now is on the low side maybe i will order another lundahl choke with 400 ohm serie resistance that will allow me to use 350 instead of 300 volts transformer.
Anyhow the '' cleaner '' the voltage is you offer at the regulator input the better it will sound.
Sincere greetings, Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I think i did start using the ad797 right away with my line amp i think.
Throwing out the lm317 and replacing it with a resistor was a nice improvement. I did do it in april 2001 i did get the instruction how to do it by fax from Allen himself but that fax is difficult to read now. Maybe it can be found online. He called it the 317 be gone mod.
I am sure the more technically skilled members here This non inductive power resistor was connectred between the ccs mosfets source and the B+. I remember you had to do some voltage measurements and measure the resistance from the lm317 trimmer and do a little calculation.
Good luck, eduard

You are lucky, I still have two pcbs left and I could provide you the Instruction Manual in pdf. The price is 30 euro/pcb + 15 euro shipping to France. That's how much I have paid long time ago and...the shipping costs - it is the Romanian Postal Service fault. Send me a private message with your mail address and I'll send a pcb picture, if you want.

HPHV PCB & Parts

If anyone is still following this thread I have four HPHV pcb boards and almost all the components needed to stuff the boards. A close friend of mine passed away last summer (Nick_F) and I’m sorting through his huge collection of tubes and parts. Nick acquired parts to build 4 shunt regs and I’m offering them for sale on behalf of his estate. Everything to build a HPHV Reg is included except for Heatsink 2, R16, R12, C13 & C9,9A. Included is a 15V flat pack transformer, two 2SK170 jfets, the OPA656 op-amp and everything else on the parts list.

Price is $60 per kit plus shipping.

Cheers

Attachments

• F3BBC06A-46CB-4699-BA5A-301877818A65.jpg
    F3BBC06A-46CB-4699-BA5A-301877818A65.jpg
    991 KB · Views: 436
  • 5C7AFB5A-22DA-4CFE-80E2-BC23403F312F.jpg
    5C7AFB5A-22DA-4CFE-80E2-BC23403F312F.jpg
    984.8 KB · Views: 437