• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

For Aussie DIYer's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I am getting a quote from Dyne Industries on 10mH laminate core inductors, there is a large price break if more than 50 inductors are ordered.
I have not received the quote as yet but are there any members here in Melbourne ( and other parts ) who need / want some LARGE value inductors who would like to join a group buy??
These will be wound on "E" cores with 1.6mm wire for DCR's in the order of 0.5 Ohms.
Regards Ted

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Price for singles will be about $60- each, I haven't yet heard back but as soon as I know I will post prices, they were going to give me prices on a purchase of 20 then 50, obviously the bigger the buy the cheaper the price. I need 4 of this size for current projects, and it's a common need for me, I was contemplating ordering 8 or 10 , but no break for such a small order.
Regards Ted

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Quick formula

F = XL / 2Pi L ( in Henries )
L = inductance
F = frequency
XL = nominal load in Ohms

First order 10 mH = 125 Hz at 8 Ohms, 62.5 at 4 ohms, I'm aiming nominal 2nd order 4R at 125 or baffle step on .5 woofer.

10 mH seems to me like a reasonable compromise.
I'd like to cross a little lower but keeping costs and DCR down this should work.

Moondog55 said:
OK Brett,
Lets see how much interest we get, Jon T didn't say how many he needed
Sorry Ted,

I've been a bit crook. I was only looking for 2, and I've currently got some that will do the job for the present. So I think I'll pass on your group buy at present.

I was going to upgrade later on to some 8.2 air core things (0.5 DCR - $85ea) - but I'll have to wait until I can afford the postage as they're over 3kg each.

I got talking to someone (Tony?) from Erse a while back and I've kept their site on my favourites ever since. It looks like it's $86.77 today - our dollar must have taken another hit!

This is the specific ai coil I was talking about, but they seem to have specials fairly often. If I didn't have some much stuff lying around, then I'd use Erse much more regularly. The caps seem to be good value also.

It looks like they have the same stuff that Parts Express have, but at a much cheaper price (I think when you make them, then that's probably easy).

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Business must be good as the engineers at Dyne never got back to me with a price.
I may just have to find some formers and wind my own inductors or buy them from O/S myself.
With the currency playing ping-pong its a wonder theres any trade at all.
Sorry guy's but it looks like this one won't go anywhere.
I'm actually surprised at how cheap the wire is compared to the price of the product;-{0 I know it's all in the knowledge and set-up costs and labour.

regards
"Ted"

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I just had a quote from "Tortech" in Sydney, 10 or 12mH cored cross-over inductors for a 4 X purchase $165 each plus postage.
haven't priced inductors for a while and the high price is why I bought my first active cross-over in the first place.
Guys I'm going to stay with active filtering

Regards
Ted

Moondog55 said:
I just had a quote from "Tortech" in Sydney, 10 or 12mH cored cross-over inductors for a 4 X purchase $165 each plus postage.
haven't priced inductors for a while and the high price is why I bought my first active cross-over in the first place.
Guys I'm going to stay with active filtering

Regards
Ted
Ouch. A 1kVA power trans with screens and 4 output windings was $240 in a single unit.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Just had a long phone conversation with Paul at Volltran, your'e right nice bloke.
He is flat out with mining work at the moment and asked for patience but will quote as soon as he can.
I'm going to ask him to give a price on some other values as well.
regards
Ted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.