• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wood cone speaker build idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fire and all that...

planet10 said:

It burns nice (if the fire is hot enuff)

dave

yup dave, you'd know...but the carcinogens are what kills me':dead:'. ...and ya better be a good distance away when you burn it.

hey, let's not argue about the health effects, er, I mean the sonic effects...

EmergencyDpt. There are reasons why many swear by it (it does deaden the sound and is cheap), but it still resonates. Some speaker makers have custom MDF engineered for them or source the highest quality (but MDF in a $9K speaker pair is a let down---like these ). And to use it properly it should be finished on the interior exactly the same as the exterior, or as a minimum painted with a water tight primer, 'cause if it will hold water it will hold air.

Baltic Birch resonate as well, but the BB is effectively already a "constrained layer" and water tight. So the choice is always the builder's to make. Personally If I am putting anything of reasonable quality into a box, I'll make mine outta BB. John(MJL), on the other hand, does wonderful work (see some of his stuff, it is beautifully finished), and I suspect he finishes the inside of the boxes. So take it for what it's worth --- only an opinion.

chrisb has access to good machining capabilities and pretty much whatever "exotic" materials that are out there. He chooses BB, usually veneered (and oh my, how nice the veneering is). panomaniac on the other hand uses bamboo ply (and that stuff makes BB seem like budget material at ≃ $225/sheet).

just some more fuel for the fire (those puns keep coming...)

stew

bamboo ply? Wow. That sounds really cool. I'll have to start looking for that stuff.

I can't even find BB for under $209 a sheet here in San Jose.

I have to get working on a CNC machine. With a CNC machine I can build three dimensional shapes with specific volumes. I can make CURVES! Compound curves even. Wild shapes that only exist in my curvy mind.

I was trying to make a sphere with this little project. As you can see some of my math was a little off.

100420082185.jpg
[/IMG]
100420082184.jpg
[/IMG]

The driver is just sitting in there for scale.

Any ideas on what to do with it now?

Anybody? Anybody?

I wanted a sphere to sit on top of a speaker and it would hold the speaker inside.

Now if I had a cnc machine I could really rock it out.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
EmergencyDpt said:
bamboo ply? Wow. That sounds really cool. I'll have to start looking for that stuff.

I can't even find BB for under $209 a sheet here in San Jose.

We started using bamboo ply some time ago... a bit tricky to work with but excellent box material.

I just saw samples from a new manufacturer and the range of cosmetics is increasing further, some fantastic boxes should follow. The stuff is made in CA (AFAIK) so might be cheaper the $200 BB (especially after one considers sheet size). Google PlyBoo

dave

EmergencyDpt..spheres...

spheres are pretty easy. Just get Ye some correctly sized wooden salad bowls (hopefully made out of Bamboo (a renewable resource), and glue them together.

This has been done innumerable times by folks here.
All you need to know is the internal volume required:)

you could draw a circle in the XY plane, with the wall thickness required. Then cut it into sections (the same dimension as the thickness of your material) and measure the inner portion and the outer portion. Cut that circle out. Then proceed along until you build up a spheroid of sorts.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 147
planet10 said:

We started using bamboo ply some time ago... a bit tricky to work with but excellent box material.

I just saw samples from a new manufacturer and the range of cosmetics is increasing further, some fantastic boxes should follow. The stuff is made in CA (AFAIK) so might be cheaper the $200 BB (especially after one considers sheet size). Google PlyBoo

dave

Their warehouse is in Fremont, about thirty minutes away from me.

Why is it hard to work with? I looked on thier website and the product really looks nice. Much better than I imagined. No need to finish really, just put some varnish or something over it.

Re: EmergencyDpt..spheres...

Nanook said:
spheres are pretty easy. Just get Ye some correctly sized wooden salad bowls (hopefully made out of Bamboo (a renewable resource), and glue them together.

I don't want to use salad bowls. Ha ha ha. I want to build them with my hands.

What I need is a way to figure the volume of a sphere from the radius. OK smarties? Can you do that without employing witchcraft? I think I can reasonably make a sphere by drawing a circle, deviding it up into layers the thickness of my board stock, then cutting out circles from my plywood using the width of those layers. Glue, sand, viola!

Re: EmergencyDpt..spheres...

Nanook said:

you could draw a circle in the XY plane, with the wall thickness required. Then cut it into sections (the same dimension as the thickness of your material) and measure the inner portion and the outer portion. Cut that circle out. Then proceed along until you build up a spheroid of sorts.

I took the words out of your mouth.
Great minds think alike.

and some more work....

and once you have the rings cut out, you'll need to glue 'em all up, and use a rasp or similar to get the rough shape and then ....sand...sand some more....sand lots more.....until you're so sick of sanding that you pitch the whole project and go get Ye some salad bowls...

or else you could go get a couple of heavy duty round balloons that can be blown up to the correct size. Then glue small pieces of veneer over the balloon to create a spherical shape, and continue on until you have a sphere produced, hopefully with the correct wall thickness.

or make a mould using the balloons and pour yourself some enclosures, or use fibreglass cloth (not chop) and build up a sphere.

Believe me, salad bowls are a lot easier than anything else.

stew

Thats funny that someone mentions this brand. My buddy who is living in china pointed me at this company noting that they had used the frame I used in the last prototype for my 7" project. (The taiwan firm I was working with went under and had their assets acquired.)
It is rather odd but I talked directly with the frame die manufacturer and apparently its proprietary so I can't just buy the frames directly (from them at least) -- its funny how things circulate around the region...

One of the units with the old frame has a wood cone, I've inquired if I could get a cone made with balsa as the material and I'll hear back in a little while.

http://www.gui-sound.com/Upload/2008108145825301.pdf

I'm expecting better results with balsa, particularly if its a composite. Theres the chance it will provide decent wideband performance without sacrificing its ability to be used as a traditional midwoofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.