• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Turntable platter for the 2008 Maxon group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well the Maxon 2008 group buy is going to be shipped in the next couple of months and I am sure that there are some of you out there that would be interested in a platter to suit.
This is where we need all the collective knowledge and persuasion to put together a cost effective solution for a platter and bearing. You may not be aware that Teres has stopped production of their Platter, however they do still have the bearing assembly available at US $295.
All of your help is needed as to possible existing platter and bearing assembly's or the possibility of manufacturing our own.

Things to consider would be:
Design
Optimum material choice
Availability
Bearing to suit
Price
Lead time
Optimized to suit the 2008 maxon motor/controller group buy.

Scheu, Teres and others offer parts, so let see what we can collectively put together!

Cheers
Greg

Yes,I want to express my interest in this group buy also.I would like to propose the idea of buying the bearings from Teres,since they are of excellent quality and still available and then custom design and produce a platter around it.Perhaps an experienced member here is a machinist or knows of one that could make the platters.Anybody has the specs and dimensions of what a good platter should be?
I hope this group buy succeeds.
George

I'd entertain the thoughts of following along. As is, I just ordered a big chunk of curly maple to use for my platter. I've been considering the Teres bearing for my project. I would imagine with a little creativity, you could make a platter much thicker than 2.75" if you wanted to and still use the teres.

dnewma04, just a thought,wood can be affected with moisture and become unstable,and create problems ,I know Teres uses it for their platter but even they had to come up with some creative ideas to season it and machine it.I am confident that the Teres bearing could be used with thicker platters.
There is website that produces acrylic platters for Rega upgrates,they are ironaudio.com from Florida.I wonder if they can machine thicker platters.
George

platter

I have been giving it a some thought. I am concerned about resonate properties of the various materials. Acrylic is a proven product but its visual appearance does not appeal to me, and I am concerned with static build up in my area. Wood looks nice but concerned with shrinkage and warping. You could do like Teres and laminate pieces together with epoxy and cover outside.Stacking MDF is an option but I would think it would be soft and dead. Or one would mold a composite core with chambers for lead and then maybe cover the outside in wood. Again my concern arises as to the density of the composite epoxies. The last method appeals to me as it is very DIY-able. The mold could be made relatively easily using a router and stacking, epoxy is not difficult to work with and layup would not be to much an issue. Cutting carbon mat would be the challenge.

Bill

My thoughts.Buying the acrylic plate at 13"x13"x3" is roughly $200 as member Kilowattski pointd out.Now be aware that I was not able to locate on the net a place that sells acrylic at that size.Mcmaster.com has them at 12"x12"x3" or next size up 18"x18"x3" with a significant price increase.I assume that a good machinist could work with a 12"x12"x3" piece and gives you a platter slightly under 12 inches diameter,given the fact that Mcmaster oversizes their acrylic by one sixteenth,so it's actually 12-1/16"x12-1/16"x3".Not much room for errors thought!
Now how much a machinist wants to turn that piece?Will it be true and smooth?
The price I mentioned was for a 2-3/4" acrylic platter from Clearaudio.Yes it is not cheap but
to me it seems like a decent deal .
Any other options,thoughts I am open to opinions,suggestions and most of all guidance.
Pixelplay what do you say?
George

Well, I have been looking into the Scheu option, they have platters 320mm,
· 30mm / 2,7kg € 185.-
· 50mm / 4,5kg € 275,-
· 80mm / 7,5kg € 535,-

The attached information is in German.

Lets see what they can do for the platter and bearing.

Here is the translated German:
"Acrylic plates 320 mm diameter, with different heights,
Teller surface plan. 20H7 bore resources for maximum precision round and
Runout shot. All surfaces sauberst feingeschlichtet. Individually on
Dimensional accuracy.
30mm / 2.7 kg
€ 185 --
50mm / 4.5 kg
€ 275, --
80mm / 7.5 kg
€ 535, --
Platter stock
Inverted precision bearings from 100Cr6 steel ball bearings. Axis and jack
vorgedreht, hardened and ground. Surface about 60 HRC.
Surface roughness of the 4th paragraph Axial storage
Alumina ceramic ball and Teflon mirror. Lagerpassung H6/h6. All
Parts examined individually. Suitable for all Scheu plate.
€ 250, --"

Attachments

• preisliste.pdf
    89 KB · Views: 129
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.