• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Turntable platter for the 2008 Maxon group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well alot of folks say

they're in, but few commit...

I did all the leg work for this for a bearing and platter to no avail, last year (part of a commercial design project as well). Part because I couldn't secure good manufacture (I relied on someone else), and part because of lack of commitment. I req'd the commitment to lock down a price and to secure supply. Only 2 folks or 30 that said "I'm in" provided deposits (which were refunded in full including Paypal premiums...). Neil Kaye and another that slips my mind if my memory is correct...

I still have the information. The platters can be provided in whatever dimensions one would want, within reason (43-46 mm thick seems a reasonable compromise X 305 mm, but 2.75 " or more are possible...), drilled with a small pilot hole, and a label recess area. Unpolished. The end user could have the finished bore machined locally, or if finished bearings were settled upon machined to that particular bearing as a group buy. My aim was to provide the end user with a finished bearing/platter in the $500-$600 range if my design, or a little more (10-20% depending on landed costs and shipping to the end users) if the high-end manufacturer's.

As I continued doing work on this after the GB "failed", one of the forum members suggested that he could access aerospace level machining. I provided finished drawings--he hasn't responded back to me in over 3 months...

If it seems that I am a little bitter, I'm not, just very pragmatic now. And I had even lined up a platter/bearing setup from a well known turntable manufacturer as well.

If any are interested (seriously), get serious and I'll restart my previous efforts. But some $$ commitment is required to fuel this along upfront. Also please note that I am personally known to more than a few moderators here at diyAudio.

Presently my "fixed bearing" has less than .0025" of play, uses a stainless steel shaft , grade 8 ball, Dupont Teflon thrust plate and Oilite oil impregnated bushing.

In fact I may be able to procure 30 tables (complete) and provide the recipe to fix the bearing to be done via the end user...

stew

Bill Hi
Thanks for your efforts!
I think the price quoted is fair and reasonable,obviously Chris is doing us a favor here,for the love of the hobby and not for financial gains.Any word on the platter?
What the rest of the people here think,should we form a GB for the bearing only and worry about a suitable platter later?
Regards to all
George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.