Any interest in an acrylic platter group buy, and a bearing? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Any interest in an acrylic platter group buy, and a bearing?

just trying to test the waters concerning offering a 43 mm acrylic platter and bearing assembly. NO $$ value set yet, I'll have to get a quote based on number interested.

Machined acrylic plater, .005" label area recess, 315mm diameter. If bearing not purchased then drilled for .25" to allow for machining of bearing of your choice.

Bearing design to be conventional, non-inverted type (mainly to keep costs down). Robust housing, hardened shaft, bearing and bearing end plate.

I've got something like a week or maybe a week and one half to decide on this. Delivery to take something in the order of 8 weeks.

Again, to start, this is only to check interest. If high enough to justify the expense then will set an "official" group buy.

stew
Old 5th February 2008, 03:53 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Any chance you could ballpark the $ amount?
Old 5th February 2008, 09:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default no ball park

I am really just checking the amount of interest. The amount of interest will dictate the price as all know quantities effect the quote.

I have a figure in my mind, that I think most would find suitable enough, but I am unsure if it's realistic enough (hence the inquiry). This may turn into an ongoing commercial concern, however any that commit (once the price is finalized) would be provided with the platter and bearing at the original quoted price.

There may also be a limited number of tonearms available as part of the group buy.

stew
Old 6th February 2008, 12:50 AM   #4
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
what else would be required to get a fully operational turntable? I imagine one would need to buy a motor and controller and make a suitable base? Are motors/controllers easy to buy for diyers and how hard is it to get one up and running costs etc?
Would something like this outperforma good used turntable? So many questions:-)
Old 6th February 2008, 07:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default mainly a motor/electronics......

what else would be needed for a complete table?
  • motor
  • pulley
  • electronics to control the motor
  • plinth(s)
  • tonearm
  • power supply for motor
  • feet and some hardware
  • wiring for the tonearm, and motor

this is an offshoot of a commercial product that I have been involved in the design with, but may never see the light of day.

All the above products would be available as part of a kit, or separately. For example, if a Rega owner wanted a new plinth, one could be made available, as long as the person could provide accurate measurements for the placement of the tonearm, bearing well and motor attachment. Same could be said of the platter, provide dimensions accurately, and it could be made available. Think of it as a DIY turntable project, custom made to your specifications. That way you could source exactly what you wanted, where you wanted.

For example, if you want to use an Origin Live motor, get the motor from them, the platter from me, etc. Again, this is mainly a "custom" approach. Materials would have to be limited to a few choices.

I too would limit tonearm mounting to a common one, say a Rega or Linn mounting distance, drilled for that particular tonearm base. SME type arm mounting may not be out of the question either.

And it all depends on the number of folks interested. (and as long as no one tries to infringe on someone else's ownership of designs, copyrights, etc)

As far as outperforming a good used table, I guess that would depend on the used turntable. I am not saying it wouldn't, but is it a used Goldmund? or a Teres? or a $10000 "super deck? I'm thinking that perhaps a complete table without a tonearm could be put together for something in the neighborhood of $1000-$1300 or less (if you build your own plinth for example, less). Most likely similar in performance to the original Teres (although not a copy, other than perhaps in concept). I've prototyped a turntable using an old bearing from a discarded direct drive turntable, bearing cost=$0.00. So a complete table will cost whatever one wants to purchase vs salvage for the construction of it.

I hope to have some pricing in the near future to post,. I'll announce it here, and in the analog and vendor's section as well when I confirm the pricing.

stew
Old 6th February 2008, 07:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi.
I would be interested, dependent on price of course. I have just conceived the idea of a diy turntable after i re-discovered a guitar template machined from solid mahogany, sitting unused in my garage. my pro-ject platter fits perfectly on the guitar body and the finished article will, i believe look fantastic. Quick question though, how do you determine how far away form the spindle (ie center of the platter) you place the arm mounting. Is there a formula. My Pro-ject is 20 cm (normal??????).

Regards
John
Old 6th February 2008, 07:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Hi John...

well mainly you need to know the arm length (effective) and the overhang, as well as the alignment "style" the manufacturer used, and the headshell "offset"(in degrees). This information may be available from your turntable manual or on the 'net. 20cm seems on the short side to me but I don't know the Pro-ject products.
Old 6th February 2008, 04:08 PM   #8
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

I'm watching with great interest. I'm to receive some goodies from the recent Maxxon GB.
Thanks
Old 6th February 2008, 04:27 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

so am i...
Old 6th February 2008, 04:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would be interested in the platter, if the price is right. Not so much interest in the bearing.

Jeremy

Hide this!Advertise here!