• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First Watt F1 Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

Hi,

I have tested boards before making them on production ?
what problem you facing.. ?

can you scan and mail me both side images of boards.

I have checked against schematic from F1 Manual.

Have you soldered the components/ wires both sides , where they join top and bottom tracks ?

(My set of prototype boards are working fine.) need more inputs on what problem you are facing ?

Re: F1 boards

mithomas said:
I have these boards, and cannot get them running.

Wondering if anyone else had trouble here?

I do have suds' boards & finally got around to finishing soldering them up tonight (did the mini-A 1st)...

They are working fine for me.

I'll be posting a thread in the pass forum about it.

But if I had to bet, I'd bet on a 47 / 0.47 ohm resistor mixup... I found a BOM or 2 that had the decimal in the wrong place (or was illegible).
I worked up my own BOM based on all the info I could find.

There is the question of whether this offering meets the non-profit requirements for the use of the IP... At $100 USD for 2 full sets of boards shipped to US (total: 4 amp & 2 PS PCBs) covering alot of square inches & this single 2-set run/request, I'd think there is little or no profit for suds. Just the small run based on PCB area would probably be several times that price from ExpressPCB for example.

There are a couple minor issues with the boards, like somewhat small traces, small pads & small holes... But no biggie for sure & silk screening is correct & matches the BOM I was able to construct.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: F1 boards

cfcubed said:

IBut if I had to bet, I'd bet on a 47 / 0.47 ohm resistor mixup... I found a BOM or 2 that had the decimal in the wrong place (or was illegible).
I worked up my own BOM based on all the info I could find.
There are a couple minor issues with the boards, like somewhat small traces, small pads & small holes... But no biggie for sure & silk screening is correct & matches the BOM I was able to construct.

cfcubed, you may have nailed it. I have not looked at these boards for awhile. I too forayed and built the F2 P2P.

The units were not drawing current, so source resistors are suspect. I may have gotten drain and source mixed up.

Here's an export of that section of my BOM (amp resistors):

"R1-R4,R21,R22,R16" 221 OHM RES 221 OHM
"R5,R6" 562K OHM RES 562K OHM
"R7,R8" 392K OHM RES 392K OHM
"R9-R12, R27, R28" 1 OHM 3W x 12 RES 1 OHM 3W 5% V-D
"R13,R14" 1M OHM RES 1M OHM
R15 475 OHM RES 475 OHM
"R17,R18" 47 OHM 3W RES 47 OHM 3W 5% METAL OXIDE x 4
"R19,R25,R26" 1.5K OHM RES 1.5K OHM
R20 10k OHM RES 10K OHM
"R23,R24" 4.75k OHM RES 4.75K OHM
"P1,P2" 490-2983-ND 5k pot TRIMPOT CERM 5K OHM 12TRN TOP
"R29,R30" 0.47 OHM 3W RES .47 OHM 3W 5% METAL OXIDE x 4

Re: Drain & Souce - everything is oriented from the topside of the boards & again, I found the silkscreening dead accurate incl transistor orientation. But I printed out the schemactics & transistor datasheets to double-check all the important things...

It took me quite a bit to make up the full BOM (correlating the 2 or 3 F1 BOMs I could find w/F1 service manual) had to consider what I had on hand, stuff from eBay & Mouser & Digikey, etc. Par for the course though I guess....
Was able to come in < $400 complete by using alum (nice scrap?) plates & transfo off ebay (you know the ones.. Working fine for me tho).

Hopefully you have that F1 stuff laying around & can get it going sometime... I assume you've proofed the PS (like 24v per side?)

If you want more info just fire me a PM or something...

Good luck,
Chris

BTW, as suds said above, the boards rely on leads as VIAs, but just nicely filling the holes with solder from the bottom worked fine for me.

Thanks for feedback

Hello..

Yeh, I don't sell boards for living, they are for non profit.

I realized after boards arrived, traces are smaller but had made in large qty, to take price advantage.

There are no via , component lead act as via, (need to be soldered on both sides, fill solder).

( I have some more boards left.. )

Thanks for feed back.

currently working on other things..
( 5.1 channel Preamp with adjustable gain (Input preamp)
and digital volume control.. )

Thanks again..
Suds

Joined 2006
Paid Member
cfcubed said:

Hopefully you have that F1 stuff laying around & can get it going sometime... I assume you've proofed the PS (like 24v per side?)

If you want more info just fire me a PM or something...

Good luck,
Chris

BTW, as suds said above, the boards rely on leads as VIAs, but just nicely filling the holes with solder from the bottom worked fine for me.

Chris,
The PS worked great, and stole it for my F2, so I need to rebuild one to continue on my F1 quest, or figure out how to use a borrowed bench supply. With the qouted personality of the amp and the F2's performance, I want to complete this at some point. Right now I am trying to get an F4 running. This all happens in small steps for me, usually none without some dumb*** mistake along the way.

Mike

mithomas said:

<snip> Right now I am trying to get an F4 running.

Cool... I think I'll be done w/amps for a while after this F1 is done.... How many amps does one need? (rhetorical, let's not answer that:)

mithomas said:

<snip> This all happens in small steps for me, usually none without some dumb*** mistake along the way.

I hear you man for sure.... Spend a lot of time trying to make sure problems are avoided, but the problems could care less:)

Thank goodness for the Internets & all those sharing so much info...

Good luck!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mod note: this post has been moved to the front of this thread. diyAudio does not tolerate copyright infringement :cop:

suds said:
Hi,

First Watt F1 clone PCB's set (Amp Boards and Power Supply Boards)

2 of Amp boards (Left and Right channel) Plus one Power Supply Board
3 PCB set will cost $30 plus postage / shipping charges as per EMS, intl currier charges.

Board PCB Images are available, cannot post here due to size constraints. will mail you on request.

-suds

Let's be clear on this - I don't get excited about people making boards on a
not-for-profit basis, but I expect that they will do their own pc artwork.

My board artwork is copyrighted under international law.

These boards are lifted directly my own copyrighted artwork, omitting only
the copyright.

If you want to sell pc boards of anything I own, you must obtain permission,
and to date I have not granted permission to anyone, nor do I intend to.

:nownow:

Status
Not open for further replies.