• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Destroyer x Amplifier DX HDII version.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Heat sinks for the drivers

Perhaps Nordic will offer a BOM part number later, but so far I have been unable to find (in catalogs) driver heatsinks that will fit the current PC board layout. If I measured correctly, the heatsinks will have to be no more 10-12 mm wide (C11 and C14 limit the widths

It would be good to inform the group if someone knows of a heatsink that will fit.

Regards,
Francois

My main problem is that I just have the freeware version of Eagle... (board is at max size for it) If one of you can set me up with a full version, feel free to drop me a mail....

I have managed to push many of the resistors up to larger package after a request for it... the bypass caps can be attached under the board... my first choice was Roedersteins, but I couldn't make em fit on top, eventualy I settled for a middleground of Wima MKP sizes... PLease ensure you have the version D files from the website... Press F5 if you still see the old stuff from your cache. It is available in a zip file... please use that if you can, to save bandwidth...
The cap between the 2 resistors comming from the input transistors is spaced for an FKP2 though. I still have a few left so I will randomly add them to a few packages.

I think the performance increase you can gain with "better" components, on this particular amp, is far outweighed by the cost of those components... i.e. it sounds so good, it is pointless to spend more money for .0005% perfomance increase...
That is just my opinion... your mileage, hearing, my differ.

But as I said hook me up with a full eagle, and I'm your guy.

I see the BOM needs some work again, the first one I did is on a virus infected drive... so I'm not keen to go there again... but it seems I will have to, to save some time, as it had some part numbers etc in, as well as costing figures for a capacitor kit, one based on mostly Wima MKP2s and one based on cheaper brands... The caps I have in my amp now, are pretty low cost, allthough not bad, they are in fact the exact same types Brian sells with the Twisted Pear kits. Little yellow ones... I don't know the brand, he might be able to help out.

My main opinion is that you can save your nice parts for amps that need em....

Some news on the server... I just managed to enter an https address on the site, so that means my certificate is installed, and I can now probably get the catalog running quickly, after 2 weeks worth of dry runs...

Worst case scenario, I might have to call my friend to come poke the keys with a slowboat and a cup of Jackob's coffee. Only way to get him to do anything.

Guess what??????????

I just processed the first successfull credit card transaction (allthough it was a test card no etc..). I feel way impressed with myself right now, can make another notch on my skills list.

Sure it cost a few bucks to learn, but now I can sell this as part of websites to some of the local guys I deal with. (I dable in webdesign) here is one of my recent websites http://capecountryroutes.com/.

I guess I'll be ready to start takeing your money in a day or two then.

Just want to talk to Jack and Ed about how they want to go about things first.

P.S. for those who had security concerns the site now processes the transaction part behind a secure layer, so you will see the little lock in the URL bar when you go to checkout your shopping basket.

2 transistor sets for me please

Hi Nordic,

can you count me in for two transistor sets (for 4 amps), please?
Some spare transistors will be good...
Just realized that I missed the 1st transistor run ... never mind.

He, now I understand how you managed to set up such a perfect
web site in record time!

-----------
konkret

Hi Francois, I did manage to push a few extra resistors up a size, specialy for you, as well as a minor other improvement to ground traces...
I was literaly u pagains the 12mil spaceing the fabricators require between the edge and the components.

It will have to be a surprise for a day or so, as I am busy trying to get the last few things sorted out in the catalog, so we can start processing orders tommorrow.

Also need to finalise shipping costs so that we have one variable less. Provisionaly for direct orders it will be in the area of $5.

Prices are as follows
1 stereo set PCBs $20
1 stereo set of transistors $5

TO ALL USA GROUPBUYERS.
If you want to have your parcel sent via Ed Lafontaine, please drop him a message or contact me at sales at dxamp.com (I guess you know how to read that). I am planning if costs are not too prohibative to courier a large parcel to him, which should not only speed up delivery, but also take a little risk out of the mail system. Shipping costs to be advised

EUROPE GROUPBUYERS
If you want to receive your items through Jack C, you also have to contact Jack or myself as soon as possible, with your all the details you think he might need to process your package. As he will be paying me for the Europe batch and you will be paying him.
Same as the US group, shipping costs to be advised

Thank you to all the kind helpers for the nice software.

;) Hi Nordic Please sign me up for two stereo sets ( 4 PCBs ), plus two sets power supply boards, and the other two small associated boards. would also want two stereo parts sets and three sets of transistors ( 2 stereo sets & one backup set for mistakes) This will be my second diy project & am looking forward to it. Thank you. Regards, Dean

There are needed modifications

To have guarantee to avoid oscilations, the compensations capacitor, the Miller one, was increased to 150 picofarads, and use Silver Mica there, please!

Constructors that have scopes should try smaller values, checking for oscilations measurable into the output.... the optimized value will be lower than 150 pF..... this decision was because i have constructed more units and i found 50 percent of them oscilating..showing high voltage at the output... Very High Frequency voltages there.

Also the electrolitic condenser used into the VBE multiplier is an overkill.... the circuit has low consumption, low drain of current, reason why the "big" electrolitic condenser there is "holding" the voltage and disturbing adjustment of bias...when you increase, the voltage increase slowly, with a delay..also when you try to decrease your bias happens the same..... reduce it...or even remove it.... 2,2uf will be fine....or 1uf...or even 0.47 electrolitic condenser will be fine to fill the place may exist into the boards.

If not place to those condensers into Nordic boards, then, remove this one and forget it...bothers a lot!

The Grounding idea is beeing checked..the one published into Greg Home page, Dx High Resolution II amplifier will be changed.

Soon you will have this grounding idea changed...the capacitors are still modified into the schematic.

thank you folks...and sorry because of that.

Safety is a need...i had to do that when i have faced problems.

regards,

Carlos

I just want to report back on the driver heatsinks quickly.
I think it would be the smart thing to do, is to add the 4 sinks to the transistor kits which will then sell for $6.50
I will also include free mica isolators for the output pairs with every PCB kit. Transistor kits also include small pieces of heatshrink to bind input pairs together into 6 pined chips.

Damn, i just checked the stock number the guy gave me, and it is not the same thing... I guess the price should not be much diffirent, as they are the same size roughly. he is on lunch at the moment, but I'll get back to you if I need to adjust the prices again.

Got some qoutes from couriers. these guys are plain nuts...... some want in the region of $80. Still waiting for one company which said they could open an account for me, which will allow them to discount quite a bit, I have to send them a breakdown of the parcels first though.

If one of you have a small scale and can weigh some PCB for us so I can work out weight per square cm, it would be neat.

Generaly it still seems cheapest to use registered international airmail, around $5, depending on what packageing I can find, they don't have stock of the nice boxes they used to have for shipment.

Still waiting for a callback re the heatsinks, left a second message...treading lots of water today to tie last knots it seems.

Speaking about the heatsinks for the drivers. I have just ordered the transistors i didn't have in stock myself.
I guess i could cut pieces of 4mm alu to make sinks myself, if i make them big enough ?
I have no problems bending the pieces :smash:, so that it will (nearly) look like "originals" .

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Transistor kits

Nordic,

I'm not sure about the status of transistor sets at this late stage, but if still available could you add me for a transistor set for one stereo PC set, please. The heatsinks did it for me.

Will you "officially"inform us of when to start paying?

Thanks,
Francois

Yes, it would help also help if you activate your e-mail button so long in the user c.p. Or use mine so that I can sen you a reply when all is up... had too many delays today, useing the time to clean up the catalog... its been years since I worked in php...
Will sort you out with your order.

For the person that asked, yes, I will ship everything together, unless you check out the items seperately from the catalog... i.e. pay shipping twice, then I will ship it on receipt from the factory.

Ess, yep, you can easily use some alu, doesn't even need to be that thick, mine don't run hot, and they are pretty small.

You get the aluminium u-tubes which if you had some, you could probably get away with jsut cutting off a 2cm piece and tapping it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.