Jens Rasmussen Leach clone group buy - Page 104 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2009, 10:37 AM   #1031
diyAudio Member

Unhappy Still no response from you

Hi Tad, as we were discussing in private emails, I still have not received my 4 PCB's for this GB. We discussed splitting the loss which both of us seemed to think was fair at the time.
Since then I have not received any more communications from you. Have you been getting my emails ? A simple response would be appreciated even if you did change your mind.

Thanks,
Marc.
Old 5th January 2009, 01:47 PM   #1032
clm811 is offline clm811  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I found a nice enclosed ice cube type relay on ebay with a built in variable timer for about 5 bucks
I searched ebay, to no avail.
Can you give a model number, or more specific description?
TIA
-Chas
Old 6th January 2009, 10:41 AM   #1033
diyAudio Member

Chas,
This is the exact relay,http://cgi.ebay.com/TYCO-ELECTRONICS...3A0%7C293%3A1, But the price was only 5.00 dollars when I bought them. If you keep looking you might find some cheaper or this seller might take a whole lot less.
Tad
Old 6th January 2009, 10:57 AM   #1034
diyAudio Member

Chas, Here is another one much cheaper,http://www.electronicsurplus.com/com...1016-7234.htm, Just keep looking.
Tad
Old 7th January 2009, 02:31 AM   #1035
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here is another one much cheaper,http://www.electronicsurplus.com/co...71016-7234.htm
Tad- It looks like a broken link.

Is there a similar relay listed here(?):
http://www.surplussales.com/Relays/RETimeD-2.html

TIA

-Chas
Old 7th January 2009, 10:48 AM   #1036
diyAudio Member

Chas,
The Surplus Sales site has quite a few good choices, but I do no know what price range you are willing to accept. First we need to know what voltages you have available to operate the relay. Then you can choose any of the relays with that coil rating and go from there. I liked the external resistor method of changing the time delay because it was simple and easy to incorporate into the chassis. Installing a simple pot works also and is more versatile. Be sure to choose the delay on/delay off which fits the application, they come in both forms.

Any setup you use to switch the mains power or DC off the thermistors after a predetermined time should work here.

Another option I like, proposed by Bob, is to build a complete separate power distribution unit with inrush surge protection and delay for all of the items in your arsenal. It could be something quite robust and have a mains power spike protector, like for computers and such, mounted in it. This also lets you turn everything on with one small low voltage switch. You can add earth ground hum isolators in there also. Real nice idea. This keeps you from going through this scenario on each build. Tad
Old 7th January 2009, 08:23 PM   #1037
diyAudio Member

Smile Thanks

Thanks all for taking the time to help with the multitude of questions.

There isn't another current thread specific to assembling an amp from Jens' boards, and there are several of us (newbies) who need additional information to complete our amp projects.

-Chas
Old 8th January 2009, 10:47 PM   #1038
rob3262 is offline rob3262  United States
diyAudio Member

Default small signal transistor matching

I need six matched sets of 4, 24 in all. Out of a pool of 50ea of onsemi MPSA42's and 92's, I had nothing. Not even close to matched gain.

Bought an additional 100ea Fairchilds, hoping to get some different gains. Which I did. But out of a pool of three hundred transistors I have two matching sets, 8 transistors total.

Is it common to have so few matches???
Old 9th January 2009, 08:03 AM   #1039
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Out of a pool of 50ea of onsemi MPSA42's and 92's, I had nothing... even close to matched gain.
Rob,

We (myself, along with Brutepuppy and WJH) found almost the same thing. The PNP's measured range was quite different from the NPN's in our similarly sized pool of devices, and we settled upon matched pairs of PNP's used together with matched pairs of NPN's("choice#3").

Please note, however, that in his construction notes Dr. Leach indicates DC offset may still not be a problem:

"Ideally, all four transistors should be matched. If this cannot be achieved, the second choice is for Q1 and Q3 to be matched and Q2 and Q4 to to be matched. The third choice is for Q1 and Q2 to be matched and Q3 and Q4 to be matched. The typical dc offset at the amplifier output is less than 50 mV. If you are concerned about how well the transistors are matched, I have seen amplifiers built without matching the input transistors, and they had no dc offset problems. "

Opinions?

-Chas
Old 9th January 2009, 10:15 AM   #1040
diyAudio Member

For what it is worth I did not match anything on my Leach and the total offset is less than 20mv. Matching is of course the best way to go, however sometimes you just want that thing to work.
Tad

Hide this!Advertise here!