• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Jens Rasmussen Leach clone group buy

OK, Tony you missed me. I see the connections of which you speak and that if you cascode the VAS, you must also cascode the predriver as it sets the operating point of the VAS cascode.

Perhaps Professor Leach was referring to the predriver, driver and power stage collectively as the output stage (all three stages of the triple Darlington).

What Jens's circuit allows is connecting just a standard Low TIM style output stage to the cascoded predriver/driver stage. As in low TIM, you take the drive from either side of R51 (J1J5 and J1J8), feedback connects to J1J6//J1J7. Is there any reason that would not work?

I figured with new front end options folks would choose the output stage they preferred. Doesn't seem like too many have bothered.

Please update the wiki to reflect YOUR choice of output board style

Of course we're not in a terrible rush as design isn't finished and we haven't tested a prototype yet.

output devices

The header in the wiki suggest FETS as output device:
"The options are:

Standard Leach - just like a detached version of the last buy. Positions for 5 N channel and 5 P channel devices

Super Leach - Jens' version of the super leach output with 4 complimentary pairs of cascoded devices - 8 n channel and 8 P chanel, 16 total devices."
Maybe simply NPN and PNP will clear this.
Regards, Loek

Sorry, built too many Pass amps and nursing the flu. :rolleyes:

It now reads:

The options are:

Front End: Nominally a Super Leach that can be made into a Leach Low TIM with parts omissions and jumpers. Required for both versions.

Output boards:

Standard Leach - just like a detached version of the last buy. Positions for 5 NPN and 5 PNP devices

Super Leach - Jens' version of the super leach output with 4 complimentary pairs of cascoded devices - 8 NPN and 8 PNP, 16 total devices.

Super Leach Tweeter - a single pair of cascoded complimentary devices. Suitable for low power (such as tweeter) applications, so you don't need to have another set of lower voltage rails or waste a large board for a low power application.

Carl, Assuming that you want to build 6 amps you'll need 6 front end boards, too. I made the change for you.

What is the size of the boards going to be? How about physical layout?
are they going to be attached, with perforations, or completely separate? Dimensions?

Sorry if it was posted and I missed it. I just want to see if this will work with the sinks I have in mind before I update the wiki.

Everything is still up in the air a bit. Jens was working towards a separable board, but with multiple output board options we're probably looking at separate boards. We'll see when Jens gets another "play day".

Rough guess on the size of the boards: front end 4.25"x5", 10 device output 4.25" x 5.5", 16 device output 4.25" x 8.5", 4 device cascode tweeter output 4.25" x 3"

We've got enough interest that a few people backing out isn't going to impact the buy (assuming it happens) Don't sweat it Norm.

Posted to solid state?

Is there a discussion of this wiki anywhere in the solid state forum?
I don't recall how I found this thread, but I'm sure it was just by chance. Additional interest in the group buy could be had with a little 'advertising' (I'm assuming Group Buy posting only)

- Rob

Rob, I think the forum rules suggest that we keep it here. I made an announcement thread for the AF4 buy in the Loudspeakers forum pointing to the GB thread and it was promptly moved to the GB section.

Hopefuly members have figured out that checking out the group buy section is a good idea. If we keep enough activity here, it will pop up on the main page for many. :angel:

Waiting for paint to dry....

I changed the connector to a standard 12 pin type - is this what you all like best?

\\\Jens

Attachments

• super leach ver 5.10 frontend_1 (small).jpg
    super leach ver 5.10 frontend_1 (small).jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 898
Jens, Where does the small diode pcb connect to this board. I believe this design is going to be quite popular. This layout with a separate frontend board opens up a lot of possibilites to the constructor in terms of output design. Are we getting closer to having some boards produced? You have to be just a little bit anxious to build one yourself by now. Nice picture again.
One small question on the 10 transitor amplifier quite a few of us have built. Why did you propose the change to it with the feedback? The boards I built up sound quite good like you originally designed them. Tad